Running XBMC on media player
Hi,

I am falling in love with XBMC so much and I wonder if anyone has ever tried to load it on any media player such as WD, IOMega, etc.. Basically replacing these devices' native OS with Ubuntu or some small footprint OS and load XBMC?

I'm running XBMC 11 on my laptop. The setup is perfect but I want to replace that with something more portable. I tried to search the forum but maybe the search keyword is too broad so I did not see any matching thread.

Thanks

Stanley
The short answer is no.

Typically speaking, the device has to have a supported CPU (ARM, PPC, x86) and GPU (OpenGL or OpenGLES). Various other requirements too. Even though we support ARM (and I believe MIPS), if it's not a desktop processor then it probably won't work unless you are willing to do some programming yourself.

However, this is slowly changing as these embedded devices become more powerful, XBMC code becomes more portable, and people hack more. For example, the Apple TV 2 is an ARM/set-top device that we now support. In the future there will be even more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC on media player0