OS X XBMC & DAC, craklings
Hi,

I'm gonna set a sandbox based on OS X 10.7 & the nightly build you mentionned but before doing this i have a question. When i switch in english, instead of french, i saw in System / Audio Output that the available options are :
- ANALOG
- HDMI
- OPTICAL/COAX

In my case, i'm using a USB connection to send sound (digital 2 channel) to my audio converter (digital to analog). Maybe XBMC is no designed for this ?

In french it is :
- ANALOG
- HDMI
- DIGITAL

Thanks
Nemrod
Don't get that question sorry? Digital is the same like OPTICAL/COAX then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
eh ? "sandbox based on OS X 10.7", I seriously doubt that xbmc will like being in a sandbox.
(2012-05-21, 20:16)davilla Wrote: eh ? "sandbox based on OS X 10.7", I seriously doubt that xbmc will like being in a sandbox.

By sandbox i mean a external hard drive with a dedicted OS X.
(2012-05-21, 19:52)Memphiz Wrote: Don't get that question sorry? Digital is the same like OPTICAL/COAX then...

Point is in my case i'm not using digital optical or coaxial but USB.
point taken, but what did you set this setting to in eden then?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: The selected device (ATOLL USB Audio 2.0) does not have a speaker layout configured. Using the default layout.
14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: Please go to Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup, and select 'Configure Speakers...'
(2012-05-21, 22:58)Memphiz Wrote: point taken, but what did you set this setting to in eden then?

Hi,

The one called "Digital" in french, wich is OPTICAL/COAX.

Thanks
Nemrod
(2012-05-21, 23:54)davilla Wrote: 14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: The selected device (ATOLL USB Audio 2.0) does not have a speaker layout configured. Using the default layout.
14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: Please go to Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup, and select 'Configure Speakers...'

Thank you Blush
(2012-05-21, 23:54)davilla Wrote: 14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: The selected device (ATOLL USB Audio 2.0) does not have a speaker layout configured. Using the default layout.

One thought.

I'm trying different parameters but is it possible that this message is not the real one ?

I mean i'm using USB cable with the following parameters in XBMC settings (OPTICAL/COAX & ATOLL USB Audio 2.0) but in order to test i changed theses parameters for (OPTICAL/COAX &default output) and (OPTICAL/COAX & built in output.).

I don't know if i'm completly clear, english is not my mother tongue Angel
Please go to Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup, and select 'Configure Speakers...
Hi,

I've been there just after your post, here are the settings :

Thanks
Nemrod
Salut Nemrod,

Cela me ferait grand plaisir de pouvoir vous donner quelques conseils en votre belle langue, mais je continue en anglais.

Your problem could be a ground loop.
This is quite common when connecting computers to audio equipment such as mixers, amplifiers and DACs if they are connected "physically" via FireWire or USB (as well as via unbalanced RCA cables). A lot of Mac Mini owners experience this. I have even read that it has to do with how the Mac Mini internal grounding works. Try searching for "Mac Mini Apogee Duet Ground Loop" for example. Could it be that your DAC is grounded (uses the Earth pin)? Your Mac Mini is not grounded, but the "internal ground" of the Mac Mini could be connected to the ground of your DAC via USB. In that case, you could be in trouble. The problem could also be your external monitor. Is it connected via HDMI and is it grounded? In that case, try removing the HDMI cable and see what happens. You can remote control the Mac Mini via the network using for example TeamViewer to do some testing without the external monitor.

In order to isolate the computer from the analogue audio signal, it is recommended to use an optical (TOSLINK) audio output from the computer (Mac Mini in your case) to the DAC (in your case). Simply use the optical out of the Mac Mini to your DAC. In case you didn't know, the analogue audio out of your Mac Mini is also an optical out! Simply use a Toslink to 3.5mm Mini Adapter.

If, for some reason, you want to use the USB interface, you could try "lifting" the ground of the component that causes the problem. In other words, plug the grounded 3-pin eletrical plug into a 2-pin plug (without Earth pin) and see if the noise disappears. Try disconnecting all connected devices, plug them in one by one and see which one causes the noise. Om not very fond of the ground lifting solution, however, since I think it feels unsafe.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but the above sums up a few ideas I have found while searching for a solution to a similar problem I may have in my system.

J'espère que vous trouverez bientôt une solution.

Ciao/ NewMount
Salut NewMount !

Merci pour ton aide.

I think i might have the solution, from a guy on an HiFi Forum, problem may might come from the OS X sound effects. I'm trying since one week now and since, no crackling, i'm sending OS X sound effect on the Mini speakers, the others on the DAC.

Any, i might have a ground loop but not while using XBMC. Indeed, i have violent crackling while listening iTunes music with the optic cable. I'm gonna check your suggestions.

Thanks
Nemrod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC & DAC, craklings0