• 21(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-06-04, 22:06)RogerS Wrote: SPDIF/Coax supports up to 24-bit/192 kHz although only stereo but that seems to me high definition audio...

In theory. The original SPDIF standard called for 20-bit/48 kHz. That is what, I believe, the ATI implementations follow. I am not aware of many optical SPDIF connections that can do 24/192. There are probably some high-end coax connections that are capable of those bitrates. In any case, SPDIF does not support HD audio codecs on any platform, anywhere (whether or not the hardware can theoretically support it). This is not an AE or XBMC limitation.

We are outside the scope of this thread. If you wish to further discuss this please take it to a new/different thread. It is sufficient to say, for now, ATI cards do not support HD audio because of driver limitations.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
(2012-06-04, 20:29)HellStorm666 Wrote: How is it possible that i'va DTS and other 5.1 audio right now?
and....
You answered that question in your own quote:
Quote:ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD).
(2012-06-04, 20:29)HellStorm666 Wrote: and... i don't want to have any thing to do with channels.. i want pass-trough (bit perfect 1:1 streaming)

You need a nvidia card to do proper bitstreaming in linux and 23.976 fps. I was in the same boat as you and tried ati/intel but driver limitations in linux made me go for a nvidia card. I am running a passive GT440 and it works flawlessly. Im not sure what your setup is and if its even possible to change your video card but, man, save yourself a lot of headache and get a nvidia card if you can.
(2012-06-05, 05:06)freakyshiat Wrote:
(2012-06-04, 20:29)HellStorm666 Wrote: and... i don't want to have any thing to do with channels.. i want pass-trough (bit perfect 1:1 streaming)

You need a nvidia card to do proper bitstreaming in linux and 23.976 fps. I was in the same boat as you and tried ati/intel but driver limitations in linux made me go for a nvidia card. I am running a passive GT440 and it works flawlessly. Im not sure what your setup is and if its even possible to change your video card but, man, save yourself a lot of headache and get a nvidia card if you can.
This. nVidia hardware, like it or not, just works.
I really hope ati/intel allocate resources to make this happen, which nvidia already has. I would love to get a passively cooled 35/45W TDP sandy/ivy bridge setup running with no video card at all, and properly bitstream and display 23.976 fps in linux.
I hope AMD/ATI get their act sorted out with regard to linux drivers also. I have a Fusion E35 board which works flawlessly with HD sound over HDMI in the Windows 7/8 environment, but which will not support anything more than stereo PCM at 48kHz (or the usual compressed DD or DTS 5.1) over HDMI in linux. As wingrunr21 rightly points out, the S/PDIF specification does not support uncompressed multichannel (more than two) audio - just compressed DD and DTS 5.1. The HDMI driver implementation from ATI seems to be restricted to an emulation of S/PDIF capability. AMD/ATI seem to claim that there are intellectual property difficulties in expanding the capabilities of their HDMI sound drivers. Odd that no such issues are experienced by nVidia Huh I'm waiting to see what happens. In the meantime, ATI and Realtek drivers in the Widows environment work just fine!
Hey All,

I do not want to go off topic but I am re-encoding all my HD-DVD's now as I had re-converted the audio in the past. most of these have a DD+ and a TrueHD track. I am wondering should I just encoded them with the TrueHD track as an MKV now. I have tried a couple with both and DD+ does not work so well, so I am thinking I will just keep the Thd track but I am wondering how the ion platform machines in the house will handle this track on a non-hd setup. bedrooms, kitchen etc...

Thanks,

Dave
(2012-06-05, 13:24)rodercot Wrote: Hey All,

I do not want to go off topic but I am re-encoding all my HD-DVD's now as I had re-converted the audio in the past. most of these have a DD+ and a TrueHD track. I am wondering should I just encoded them with the TrueHD track as an MKV now. I have tried a couple with both and DD+ does not work so well, so I am thinking I will just keep the Thd track but I am wondering how the ion platform machines in the house will handle this track on a non-hd setup. bedrooms, kitchen etc...

Thanks,

Dave

i would do truehd, xbmc will decode to PCM/stereo for non hd/bitstream setups. I have tried this with a fusion box and it worked for me.
Ok guys, back on topic please.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
my 45W 3770T ivy bridge cpu/Z77 itx mb gets here this week. I will post logs and see if it bitstreams by any chance.
(2012-05-31, 23:14)negge Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 17:07)d_hero Wrote: yeah that is what i have set. ill try and post a log if thats ok?
ok heres the log:

http://pastebin.com/3SWSZwZL

its around line 940 that i start to play the file

I've had similar issues from time to time (I think I have that same Dire Straits SACD rip, unless you ripped it yourself). It's usually solved by closing XBMC, letting it stay closed for a couple of seconds then restarting it. Sometimes playing some other format that you know works (like MP3), then playing a FLAC file makes the audio work. Lately though I haven't had any of these issues (I recompile quite often).

this didnt make any difference, Ive recompiled today and still the same. The only way I can get multichannel flacs to play at all is to change my speaker setting to 2.0 instead of 5.1. They then play but obviously not in 5.1
@d_hero: I had a similar issue as well (multichannel FLAC files crashed unless I changed speaker layout to 2.0), although that bug got fixed before the initial merge.
its not fixed for me, the details are in the log above, not sure what could be causing it though?
after further testing, if i disable multichannel lpcm in the settings, i get the song playing and my receiver says Dolby Digital, but its almost unbearable to listen to because its constantly stuttering and skipping. As soon as I re-enable multichannel lpcm, it freezes. Im sure my receiver supports MLPCM, its an Onkyo 809

Edit: With MLPCM disabled, if I play using DVD Player instead of PAPlayer, the files seem to play ok, but this isnt an ideal solution. Any ideas?
Do we know if Nvidia will be fixing the audio issues in the 295 drivers?

I have a GT640 on order, will that work on the 290 drivers?
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4