• 3(current)
Linux excessive CPU usage on Eden
http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/06/19/workin...y-regions/

Quote:In this screen, the user has moved from the Browse button to Add. Previously, XBMC’s renderer would’ve happily uploaded the entire screen to the GPU for each frame (remember that almost every movement in XBMC comes with an animation, so there’s rarely a single-frame change). So in this example, assuming we’re running at 1080p, we have uploaded an entire 1920×1080 scene 30 times just to change the selection. In addition, each pixel is likely rendered more than once due to the layering of dialogs and blending of translucent textures – in the above case each pixel is rendered around 4 times. That’s roughly 1GB of data sent to the GPU for a half-second animation! But not only that, even after the animation is finished, data continues flowing at the same rate – even if nothing on screen is changing at all!

Thats it...
I enabled dirty rendering, installed the latest nvidia drivers, disabled auto-update, and disabled the common cache plugin. I played 2 episodes of "The middle" at 720P and they were choppy at first, even before I started playing the video it jumped up to 100% from 12% (a reduction from 30% due to dirty rendering). Then it came back down and everything was fine. It was playing at 23.5-24.2 FPS with 65% CPU usage. After that I decided to watch Game of Thrones which was choppy (about 13 FPS) and then decided to try the latest Family Guy, which was also choppy at 13-24 FPS, both were at 720P. This thing seems to have a mind of its own and seems to screw up when it feels like it.

I bought a 3.06 GHz P4 for $5 from eBay, which is an upgrade from the current 2.66 GHz P4. Hopefully that will help some.
Whats your Setup? Sounds like non working VDPAU...
Here it is john.cord: P4 @ 2.66 GHz with an Nvidia 6200 running XBMCbuntu is posted three config files from two posts back. VDPAU is enabled in XBMC.
running a 6 core 1055T AMD @ 3.7ghz
4gb system ram @ 1600mhz
gpu ati 5850 1gb ram

xbmc 11 (mar 24 2012)

on all 6 cores it fluctuates between 60% usage and 20% in realtime at some points i have 3 cores @ 60% and the other 3 at 20% when just sat on the system info screen !? This should be idling at 1-2% cpu for a lightweight media centre and hope this gets fixed as the above specs are just for the test rig on my workstation, il be running a much lower spec on the real HTPC. I expect on xbmc menu im pulling close to 100Watts of cpu power :~(

the fan is annoying and my cpu temp is pretty high ! like when playing battlefield lol

(2012-05-22, 20:22)brando56894 Wrote: Here it is john.cord: P4 @ 2.66 GHz with an Nvidia 6200 running XBMCbuntu is posted three config files from two posts back. VDPAU is enabled in XBMC.

Code:
21:25:46 T:2417556336  NOTICE: vdp_device = 0x00000001 vdp_st = 0x00000001
21:25:46 T:2417556336   ERROR: (VDPAU) unable to init VDPAU - vdp_st = 0x1.  Falling back.
21:25:46 T:2417556336  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Failed to get VDPAU device
21:25:46 T:2417556336  NOTICE:  (VDPAU) Close
21:25:46 T:2417556336  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC /

No VDPAU used... thats why your CPU Usage is so high...
GF 6200 does not support VDPAU btw...
diabled VDPAU it 'seems' to have lowered the cpu load? about 18% across 3 cores and 4-8 on the rest, perhaps this is placebo.

still way too high
Hi All

I have the same cpu overloading problem.
I own a Zotac AD10 (ATI 6300) and I tried an install of XMBCbuntu on it. I installed fglrx drivers, tried the XvBA build of XBMC.

I also modified the advanced_settings.xml and set the dirty region algorithm to 1 or 3.
I still have a ~70% CPU load on all screens. This is very problematic because the Zotac overheat without reason and I am afraid of long term consequences on the hardware (don't think that chips are designed to run at full load constantly)

Do you have any idea how to solve the issue ?
@poppop:
Did you enable Vertical Sync Blanking? If not - do so. Also disabling RSS Feed should reduce cpu usage while not playing a movie.

vdpau and xvba are only used during playback. So they don't influence idle usage.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
The bug report pertaining to this issue seems to be collecting feedback from users, but no word from any of the devs :/
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2012-07-12, 11:08)poppop Wrote: Hi All

I have the same cpu overloading problem.
I own a Zotac AD10 (ATI 6300) and I tried an install of XMBCbuntu on it. I installed fglrx drivers, tried the XvBA build of XBMC.

I also modified the advanced_settings.xml and set the dirty region algorithm to 1 or 3.
I still have a ~70% CPU load on all screens. This is very problematic because the Zotac overheat without reason and I am afraid of long term consequences on the hardware (don't think that chips are designed to run at full load constantly)

Do you have any idea how to solve the issue ?

Log's? High CPU Usage is in 99,9% caused by none working VDPAU/XvBA and bad xorg.conf
Thanks for your answers !

@Fritsch: I already have disabled the RSS feed, About Vsynch blank; do you mean enabling it into XBMC or via the Catalyst driver interface ?

@GraySky: I'll add a post to say I am also affected by the problem.

@John.cord: I checked XBMC logs but nothing related to the cpu usage appears.
Can you confirm that VDPAU/XvBA are only useful during video playback ? If so, it shall not affect the GUI rendering and thus the constant CPU load ?
Anyway even if I activated them in XBMC I didn't notice any differences. About Xorg I sticked to the one generated by the Catalyst drivers.

@poppop: Within xbmc. (System -> Settings -> System -> Video -> Vertical Blank Synchronisation: Always Enabled)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@Fritsch: Thanks for the info. I activated the VSync, now I am at 10% CPU usage constantly when staying on the welcome screen. If I open any other menu, CPU use immediatly jumps at 90% disregarding the skin I use.
I strongly believe that there is bug in the Eden build. I read on one subject that the process seems to be stuck on a select call with a timeout argument at 0. Maybe the problem is there.
I'll try to check the xbmc source code but if the select is called by a python based addon, it will tougher to identify the issue.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
excessive CPU usage on Eden0