• 4(current)
Linux excessive CPU usage on Eden
There has been a couple of issues which may cause this symptom.
@poppop
Can you try the xvba testing branch and report back if the problem still exists?
Hi FernetMenta

I tried the xvba testing branch following this tutorial:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

Didn't change anything, I want to precise that the high cpu usage does not happen during playback but when using the interface. Xvba is only for playback nope ?
Especially in the music or movie menus, it jumps to more than 100%.

On the main menu, the cpu load is around 50%.

It looks like the interface does not use hardware acceleration.

Dirty regions are broken. I have submitted a patch for review.
@FernetMenta: Thank you very much for the time taken to analyze the problem !

If your patch successfuly resolves the issue I think you can close the following bug:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12888
@FernetMenta - can I apply your patch the Eden source or do I have to apply it to latest git?
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I don't know yet if it's correct but it is that simple that it should work:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1168
Hi all
@FernetMenta
I did apply the patch on an eden rc2 source. Recompiled, and installed but did not notice a significant change.
With Aeon MQ3 skin in my music library and with dirty region to 1 my CPU is never occupied less thant 60%.
On main screen during playback it is around 80%. If I stop the playback and just stay on music menu on main screen consumption is around 15-20%.

Is this the normal behaviour of xbmc ?
Quote:On main screen during playback it is around 80%

What does that mean. Running a video as background?

I get approx 17% CPU in the menus with this patch with my master branch on E-350. Could you try this branch? There might be other issues not discovered yet.
I'm having the same issue, while browsing the menus one of my cores has a 100% load, but when e.g. starting a movie the core load is only 20%.
There's somethiing with browsing the menus, I've tried to disable RSS Feed, change Vsync settings but I still have the same issue.
If i enable root access, and loginto XBMC as root the coreload is better in the menus (around 20% while browsing menus).

Doesnt really help anyone but just wanted to share that I to experience probems with unusual core load.
@ FernetMenta: When I say playback I was just playing an mp3 (sorry I should be more precise).
I downloaded Frodo RC3 sources and applied your patch this morning. I recompiled everything and tried it. I noticed a 120% CPU consumption with Aeon Nox skin. I didn't have enough time to analyze everything I will retry this evening.

Just a few more information about my configuration and how I proceeded:
Config:
Zotac AD10 (E350)
2Go DDR3
Hitachi 320 Gb HDD
Xbmcbuntu Eden 11 installed on the hard drive.
Catalyst 11.11 provided by Xbmcbuntu

I removed xbmc and xbmc-bin (via apt-get)
download git Frodo RC3 git sources through zip and pull 1168 patch
Issued the following command:
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make -j4
make install

Installed the repository installer addons.
Installed Aeon Nox and Aeon MQ3
Activated dirty regions algorithm 1 with nofliptimeout set to 0.
Vsync forced on catalyst driver and within xbmc (system > video > enable Vsync set to always)

Got CPU usage using top through SSH with another machine.

try with confluence please. Aeon skins are known resource hogs.
Hello,

I have the same issue with 100% CPU load. I think my problem is related, please advice if not so.

Hardware:
Some old 780G mobo with AMD HD 3200 integrated graphics and dual core Athlon.

The past:
I had an Ubuntu 10.04 installation with the open source radeon driver an XBMC Eden. Everything was god, but some movies were stuttering giving "alsa error -32" throughout the log. Then I decided to do an upgrade, even if it is not encouraged by Ubuntu to 12.04. The main purpose was to gain access to the xvba branch for XBMC.

Today:
I have my 12.04 installation up and running, activated unity-2d and metacity. But I am unsure if these are used by default. Currently fglrx 12.04 is installed, the 12.06 didn't recognize my HD3200. Does the copy of the "old" control files from fglrx 12.4 really enable fglrx 12.6 to use my HD3200?
Xvba is activated, all movies are running fine.

BUT:
In the menus I have 100% cpu usage, playing a movie mostly below 60%.
Dirty regions already activated (with option 1,2 and 3, doesn't matter), RSS disabled.
VSync enabled and disabled through amdcccle, but I followed the guide a few pages back and used "aticonfig....set vs=1", maybe that overruled all amdcccle settings.
BTW - visualize dirty regions = true does nothing for me, I expected some borders around the regions....

My plan (please advice):
- Deactivate all VSync options
- use Confluence as skin (currently Aeon)
- Deinstall Compiz
- try latest Xvba enabled build from testing (currently using the stable ppa)
- Try latest build from master branch without Xvba

Any more ideas? Thanks in advance...

hal
Same here,
but also remember the kernel bug, with wrong cpu time calculation.
I tested also with the kernel config of openelec and added a bid i needed, like raid support and rebuilded it, and im using this one atm. ( 3.2.19 )

( using ati 12.6 drivers )

after starting xmc, for the first few hours, i get 5-10 % CPU load, this grows to 100+ % ( while idle )
All settings are as sugested.
top reports : load average: 1.16, 1.27, 1.27
this is almost normal. system is also running sab/couch/sickb/headph/auto-sub / webserver and mail server. spotweb with db etc.
XBMC with mysql 5.5. backend.

I must say, today i cleanup my video library and updated it. Until now cpu load looks ok.

E350 system with 8Gb ram. SSD for OS/mysql Database, software Raid 1 for /home

look here for info about my server.
this is the cpu load of last week
http://thuis.van-belle.nl/munin/thuis.va...u-week.png
I can see better results with the kernel of openelec.

when the user load is low, i stopped lightdm/xbmc for a while.

If something needs te be tested, please let me know, i'll test.
im running now the frodo release.
@swnipex: I'll try this this evening. In the case it solves the issue. Shall I send the issue to the owner of the Aeon skins ?
On other similar systems what is the "normal" CPU consumption of XBMC ? I guess that because the game loop, the consumption is never around 0 but currently I do not have any idea of what is a normal cpu consumption for the software.

@hal2100: you need fglrx-legacy. standard catalyst 12.6 does not support your card anymore.
do not deactivate v-Sync, but maybe try the testing ppa with confluence.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
excessive CPU usage on Eden0