brief green pixelation during resume
I just finished testing it on my Nvidia system. I get some strangeness on playback as the castle drops back into frame with DXVA2 on. It's not green but just totally messed up for a few frames. It happens on initial playback. If I rewind back to it, it doesn't happen again. With DXVA2 off, I do not see the issue at all.
(2012-04-29, 19:29)tman12 Wrote: @bluray I thought you said in a previous post or thread that your files were playing perfect with DXVA and DXVA2 turned on with no artifacts and no drops. Then you tested my file and had the same issues I have. I would assume we are not using the same type of files if you are not having issues until using one of my files. That could explain why you can skip and resume without drops with a less powerful HTPC.
Yes, I said all of that..... as I mentioned in many threads, most of my blu-ray files are in ISO and some are in MKV/M2TS files. My blu-ray files (Avatar, Thor, Truegrid, Limitless, Fast Five, Hanna, Transformer, Car2, The Dark Knight, Kun Fu Panda 2, etc) can playback fine with DXVA2 with DXVA as Render Method....

I never have Bug Life.....this is the first time I have tried Bug Life in MKV file......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Alright, so then I'm guessing we aren't going to resolve this issue? I would say it is most certainly an ffmpeg problem as I'm getting those errors when playing back some of the files. I read somewhere that some users preferred 0.9.1 and that they started getting macroblocking issues after the switch to .10 does anyone know how I could use 0.9.1 with eden on Windows? Also, in a different thread bluray pointed out http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103437 a user created a diff file. The only problem is I have no idea how to apply the patch. I looked all over to figure it out and I can't seem to actually apply it just for testing purposes.

Maybe this evening I will rip A Bug's Life to an ISO file and test it - does XBMC need mounting software for that or can it just play it?
(2012-04-29, 19:52)tman12 Wrote: Maybe this evening I will rip A Bug's Life to an ISO file and test it - does XBMC need mounting software for that or can it just play it?
Give that try.....XBMC 11.0 can playback decrypted ISO file by itself....I ripped all my ISO files using AnyDVD HD....

(2012-04-29, 19:52)tman12 Wrote: Alright, so then I'm guessing we aren't going to resolve this issue? I would say it is most certainly an ffmpeg problem as I'm getting those errors when playing back some of the files. I read somewhere that some users preferred 0.9.1 and that they started getting macroblocking issues after the switch to .10 does anyone know how I could use 0.9.1 with eden on Windows? Also, in a different thread bluray pointed out http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103437 a user created a diff file. The only problem is I have no idea how to apply the patch. I looked all over to figure it out and I can't seem to actually apply it just for testing purposes.

Maybe this evening I will rip A Bug's Life to an ISO file and test it - does XBMC need mounting software for that or can it just play it?
If this is a bug with ffmpeg (which I think it is as well), I think it is better to let the dev know and get ffmpeg fixed for the future.

This is what I see:
We may need to ping a dev that is familiar with ffmpeg on this one.
(2012-04-30, 02:42)kricker Wrote: We may need to ping a dev that is familiar with ffmpeg on this one.
Let him try it with ISO first.... if Bug Life playback fine with ISO, it might have something to do with MKV file ripper....

Maybe so. But it plays fine without DXVA2, so someone who knows more should see it.
I didn't get a chance to create an ISO this evening but I should be able to tomorrow evening. I'm thinking it will probably be a lost cause though consider MKV and ISO are just containers and they will be holding the same video files - in this case I think MPEG4. I will still try it but it's not the files, it is an ffmpeg issue and the errors certainly support that. It seems ffmpeg is having difficulty with the reference frames, hopefully this will be resolved with later releases. I'm going to be sticking with Pixel Shaders for now until this is fixed. Hopefully a dev will see this thread, where can I post a bug issue for ffmpeg? Pixel shaders gives me the best performance, but still showing drops - although not really noticeable when watching.
(2012-04-30, 03:50)tman12 Wrote: I will still try it but it's not the files, it is an ffmpeg issue and the errors certainly support that.
When you get a chance, please try the ISO.....it shouldn't take very long to rip it....

We did have a report in another thread where a user had issues with .avi files and not .mkv files, even though the content was the same. So maybe there is a chance the container makes a difference.
I also have a green screen just for 1-2 seconds at the beginning of the playback - whatever file it is...

If DXVA2 is disabled no green screen at all. So no need to turn in on? I actually don't know what it really does.

Intel Core i5 2500K (3300) Quad Core, Asus Radeon HD6450, W764bit.

Christian
I can confirm that the problem still exists with an ISO file, using AnyDVDHD I made a 1:1 ISO and tried playing with DXVA/DXVA2 on and same exact playback as MKV. The strange thing is that it does play extremely well with Pixel Shaders - no drops, no pixelation which I did have when playing the same exact video in MKV. While this does indicate some progress, it still is not really a solution for me. I already ripped about 320 blurays to MKV and it just isn't realistic that I'm going to rip them all again as an ISO - not to mention the added size.

@moravec - Just curious, can you check the files with MediaInfo and see how many Reframes it shows? Most of the issues I'm having are with more than 3 reference frames. Take note of the difference in files that play correctly vs. files that are giving you green pixelation. This can be quite daunting though especially if you have a lot of blurays.
I only have it at the beginning. Just with the movie it is no problem for me, but now I use cinema experience with some trailers and DTS/Dolby intros, I have it on every file. (also the DTS/Dolby ones). So if I start with Cinema EX, all the intros and movie start with green screen for 1/2 seconds - no green or pixels during the movie at all.

@moravec - Exactly what I have, although I'm not using CE.

This makes me think what I stated a few posts back might be a more accurate description of the problem. I think it could be the sudden change in FPS that ffmpeg has trouble with. Not sure what your screen is set for, but mine is 1080p and has 60fps when in the menu. Once the movie starts the FPS drops significantly to match the movie (most of the time 23.967). I think it is this sudden jump in FPS that causes things to get messy, could be ffmpeg trying to resync causing garbled pixelation/green until it is synced and the movie goes on to play perfect. This would explain why playback is perfect when simply watching the movie, but has pixelation during startup, resume, and skipping (sometimes).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
brief green pixelation during resume0