Virgin ATV2 with iOS 4.1, upgrade to 5.1 or take other action?
I just purchased a new Apple TV 2 that was still in the box after deciding my original XBox wasn't cutting it any more. After opening it up and connecting it to the TV, I found it was running iOS 4.1. I've spent some serious time reading forums on here and other sites and it seems that I don't want to run anything beyond iOS 4.3 due to performance issues. Is there any iOS version that everyone considers "the best" for an ATV2 used just for XBMC?

Secondly, I'm running into real problems trying to jailbreak my ATV2 without upgrading to iOS 5.1, which I don't want to do. All the info I can find online is either about jailbreaking iOS 5.1 or was written back when Apple was signing IPSW files for earlier versions of iOS. I know jailbreaking info isn't appropriate for this forum, but can anyone point me to a link about how to jailbreak an ATV2 that currently runs 4.1 and that I don't want to upgrade past 4.3 and that factors in that everything changed once Apple released 5.1?

Should any of the XBMC team be reading this, you guys are awesome and massive thanks for all the time and work you've put into making the best media center out there. I've been using your original software for years and can't wait to see what the team of geniuses have done since the Babylon release.
I just found instructions for "How to Jailbreak the Apple TV 2 Running 5.0.1 or Less, After Apple Stopped Signing Older Version Firmware after March 8th" and I'll work off of that (and apologies for not finding this earlier). I'm still wondering what iOS version is the "ideal" version for XMBC.
ATV iOS 4.3 seems to be the sweet spot. 4.4 is where we noticed a lack of power (since it was being used by the main ATV software). Stylized subs and software decoding on codecs will notice a hit on 4.4 and up. ATV iOS 5.0 (aka Normal iOS 5.1. Thanks Apple for the confusing numbers.) doesn't seem to improve upon the subtitle issue, at least, so it is still using more system resources than 4.3.
Ned, I'll definately go 4.3 as the ideal version of iOS to use. Thanks for the info.

When I started reading through the "How to Jailbreak the Apple TV 2" link above, it ended with this:
"Congratulations! Your device has now been Jailbroken and is running 5.0.1 firmware. You can now use it as Apple definitely didn't intend it be used. Remember, you read it first at Jailbreak Apple TV!".

Obviously, I don't want to jailbreak my 4.1 ATV and have it running 5.0.1 if 4.3 is the sweet spot. Is there a way of altering the jailbreak process to install 4.3 to maximize the performance of XBMC?
Better ask your jb questions on that site you mentioned there. We normally don't discuss/support Jailbreak questions because we have already enough support load with XBMC.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virgin ATV2 with iOS 4.1, upgrade to 5.1 or take other action?0