Bluray videos through NFS in LAN (Linux)
Hello

My videos are located in my media homeserver in my LAN. There are samba and NFS server installed on my homeserver.
Yesterday I tried to play some bluray movies from my homeserver through samba and then through NFS. The client PC is Apple TV 1 running OpenELEC.

If I play through samba there is a little buffering at the beginning of the movie, but after that plying is smooth.
But If I use NFS then the playing performance is bad.

I was surprised, because I expect NFS to be faster than samba.

So, my questions:
1. what is your NFS server configuration?
2. what mount options you use on the NFS client?

Here is my NFS server configuration in /etc/exports:
Code:
/home/stefan/Videos   *(ro,insecure,no_subtree_check)

Here is mount commad with options I use in the NFS client (Apple TV):
Code:
mount -t nfs server_ip:/home/stefan/Videos ~/videos -o timeo=600,nolock

As you can see I use NFSv3. Today I will give a try with NFSv4.
I have a similar setup, although my frontend isn't an ATV. I get good performance with no buffering. You don't mention what you are running over, wireless, 100Mb, 1Gb, etc. I'm running over 100Mb ethernet.

The NFS options I use are: rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,nfsvers=3,tcp
already tried with builtin nfs instead of mounting it i to the fs?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Here is an update.

It become a long story, but finally I have installed Crystalbuntu on my ATV 1 and successfully use nfs4 to play streamed videos and performance is very good.

But ... I have to manually mount nfs shares on ATV1:
Quote:mount -t nfs4 10.74.87.10:/stefan /home/atv/storage -o rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr,noatime

New server settings:
Quote:/srv/nfs4 10.74.87.0/24(ro,fsid=0,nohide,insecure,async,no_wdelay,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/srv/nfs4/stefan 10.74.87.0/24(ro,nohide,insecure,async,no_wdelay,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

This is my working nfs client/server configuration.

My question is why cannot browse nfs shares from within XBMC (buildin nfs)?

xbmc.log:
Quote:19:19:03 T:3042461504 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://
19:19:03 T:3042461504 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://) failed
is portmap running onthe server? Also the server and xbmc client have to be in the same subnet. Does it work to add the nfs share by url directly? (e.x. nfs://10.74.87.10/srv/nfs4)

beside that its not needed to support a sub dir of an export. Imho you can get rid of your /srv/nfs4/stefan export entry...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-04-17, 00:55)Memphiz Wrote: is portmap running onthe server? Also the server and xbmc client have to be in the same subnet. Does it work to add the nfs share by url directly? (e.x. nfs://10.74.87.10/srv/nfs4)

beside that its not needed to support a sub dir of an export. Imho you can get rid of your /srv/nfs4/stefan export entry...

I'm running rpcbind which is portmap replacement which supports RPC over various protocols.

/srv/nfs4 is a nfs root directory and it is required for NFSv4.

My home directory on the server (/home/stefan) is bind to /srv/nfs4/stefan:
Quote:mount --bind /home/stefan /srv/nfs4/stefan # server side
This is a NFSv4 syntax.

If I use NFSv3 then there is no nfs root required. For example:
Quote:/home/stefan 10.74.87.0/24(rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,async) # NFSv3 syntax

Quote:Does it work to add the nfs share by url directly? (e.x. nfs://10.74.87.10/srv/nfs4)
In fact, according to NFSv4 syntax this url must be: nfs://10.74.87.10/stefan. I tried direct url from another client but file manager on that client doesn't support nfs:// url. It was PCManFM file manager. Later I will install nautilus and try again.
Well whatever this is with nfs4. XBMC isn't able to get the list of exported diretories. No clue why - this is a black box for me because we rely on the libnfs implementation here.
@Memphiz

Check you log (/var/log/syslog). I'm sure it's related to NFS security.

ecure
This option requires that requests originate on an Internet port less than IPPORT_RESERVED (1024). This option is on by default. To turn it off, specify insecure.
(2012-04-26, 04:15)ikus060 Wrote: @Memphiz

Check you log (/var/log/syslog). I'm sure it's related to NFS security.

ecure
This option requires that requests originate on an Internet port less than IPPORT_RESERVED (1024). This option is on by default. To turn it off, specify insecure.

Haha
1. reread my post
2. realise that i don't have any issues with nfs, but am the developer who implemented it into xbmc
3. realise that i've only supported the problem Wink

Beside that the need for allowing connections from unprivileged ports is mentioned in the nfs wiki (link in my signature) and howto achieve it is also mentioned there (depends on the used operating system of the nfs server).
Is one protocol better than the other?
So far I have been using FTP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluray videos through NFS in LAN (Linux)0