Advice: which hardware should I get?
Hi guys,

I've been using XBMC for quite some time and so far it's been excellent. My current setup consists of my Linux-desktop connected to the tv controlled by my Android. Works like a charm and I love the versatility.

Now, I'm about to move to a new house and have kinda decided to make my pc the home computer again, which means that I have to find a replacement machine for XBMC. Now the fun part: which setup should I go for?

I've been comtemplating getting an Apple TV 2 + a cheap 2TB NAS for storage. I am wondering what you guys would recommend: should I go with this plan or consider something else too?
Define what your usage will be and what you want to use it for.
Usage as in: how much? Pretty much daily. I use XBMC for the obvious stuff like VOD, Youtube, Icefilms (haven't tried that one since MU went down, btw), for mp3s and for movies/series (720p mkv and 480 divx, mostly).

I heard AT2 doesn't handle Silverlight nor 1080p, and that's okay with me.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a small computer and throw a 2TB drive into it rather then try and buy a NAS and an ATV2?
Dunno... How much cheaper do you suppose it'll be? I suppose AT2 will be about € 60 (on eBay) and a cheap NAS will be around € 140 (new, haven't checked eBay).

I kinda like the idea of having all my files on a separate machine which can be accessed from everywhere and which also does the torrents. But it's not an idea that's carved in stone.
I highly recommend this route... I have two atv2's and two computers all running xbmc. The #1 upsell for the atv2 is that it is lower power and therefore it is fanless... sure you can spend the time and money to build out a silent, small form factor pc... but you will be plenty satisfied with the atv2/xbmc setup. Also, you can turn and sell it on ebay as a modded atv2 and get all your money back if you don't like it.

side note - the atv2 can learn any remote, so I use the DVD/bluray controls on my Panasonic plasma remote to control the atv2 - FOR FREE, this takes care of the power, volume and control issue that is typical with a pc that is hooked up to a TV.
I'm currently having the same doubts as you have. My solution is getting an atv2 until the atv3 gets jailbreaked. The atv3 will probably support 1080p after a while so it'll be worth the trade (with some extra money) when it comes out.
(2012-04-10, 21:13)mgithens Wrote: I highly recommend this route... I have two atv2's and two computers all running xbmc. The #1 upsell for the atv2 is that it is lower power and therefore it is fanless... sure you can spend the time and money to build out a silent, small form factor pc... but you will be plenty satisfied with the atv2/xbmc setup. Also, you can turn and sell it on ebay as a modded atv2 and get all your money back if you don't like it.

side note - the atv2 can learn any remote, so I use the DVD/bluray controls on my Panasonic plasma remote to control the atv2 - FOR FREE, this takes care of the power, volume and control issue that is typical with a pc that is hooked up to a TV.

Thanks for the rely. Very helpfull.

How is the stability of the thing while streaming mkv and divx through lan? Any issues with dropping conections or stuttering? And does torrent traffic in any way interfere?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice: which hardware should I get?0