Sound doesn't work for NVIDIA MSI GEFORCE 8400GS PCIE 256M GDDR2
I recently installed XBMCBuntu and I am unable to get the sound to work. I have reviewed many forums with no luck on find a resolution. The problem is that my HDMI card is not recognized for sound. If i run aplay -L it doesn't show up in the list. My first thought is to update to the latest drivers for my card but I am not sure how to do that. Any help will be much appreciated.

NVIDIA MSI GEFORCE 8400GS PCIE 256M GDDR2
I think that one needs an SPDIF cable between the card and motherboard. What's the exact model #? N8400GS-MD256H/TC?
I do not see that model number on the card. Also I am not sure which is the exact model number. Could you tell me where i could find it?

I received this card from a friend and only reason I know its an 8400 is from searching 180-10413-0000-A01.
As mentioned already, you will need to connect an spdif cable from a header on your mother board to the graphics card if you want to pass audio over hdmi. The 8400 does not have its own audio chip so you need to pass it to it.
I do not have that connector on this card. I have 3 ports, HDMI, DVI, and S-Video. If anything i believe I would have to connect the S-video cable. I just assumed that everything would go through HDMI.
Need more info on the exact card. Also you should check the MSI support page to ensure the card is set up correctly.
Svideo has nothing to do with audio.

There will be header on the card, if you take a picture of the card I can confirm that for you.
Sorry tried uploading image. will try again later.
(2012-04-10, 22:10)prae5 Wrote: Svideo has nothing to do with audio.

There will be header on the card, if you take a picture of the card I can confirm that for you.

Looks like there is a place to hook up some sort of cable. Might be the audio.

http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N8400GS-MD...v=Overview
In that picture, it would be the white 2 pin header next to the heatsink.
Ok, yes it does have the 2 pin header. I will continue with hooking up the SPDIF. thank you very much for your help.
Something like this:

Thank you for the above image. After doing this, I will just have to hook up HDMI to TV and then XBMC should recognize my audio? Do I have to install any audio drivers?
(2012-04-11, 14:48)wolfeste Wrote: Thank you for the above image. After doing this, I will just have to hook up HDMI to TV and then XBMC should recognize my audio? Do I have to install any audio drivers?

The mother board drivers should be the only ones. I believe the video card just passes what it receives through the HDMI.
You will then have to set up XBMC to your audio option.
ok, Thank you all for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound doesn't work for NVIDIA MSI GEFORCE 8400GS PCIE 256M GDDR20