AMD A8 3870k with AMD Radeon 6550 HD Graphics
Does anyone know why I would be experiencing green artifacts very briefly when using this build? It normally happens on resume and sometimes on initial start of movie. Also happening sometimes when skipping through a few chapters. I tried switching to the DSplayer for eden build and I'm getting the same thing. I'm wondering if maybe this has something to do with the 6550 graphics card settings? Any assistance would be appreciated, I built the HTPC thinking it would have no issues at all with any media. It is playing very smoothly once the file gets going, just in the very beginning or during resume. Frustrating!
Turn off DXVA2 and see what happens.
I should have clarified, I did turn off DXVA2 just to test and see if that would make a difference. This does solve my problem with the artifacts, but some of my videos do not play smoothly with it off. I only tried turning off DXVA2 with the DSplayer build, do you think it would be any difference with the stock player? I'm still thinking it might have something to do with a graphics setting though, I am going to look at these settings this evening. I have GPU acceleration turned on so maybe that has something to do with it?
For some reason I see more reports about AMD GPUs having issues. Various driver settings and XBMC setting don't seem to get along. Search thru the forum and I'm sure you'll find many similar reports. One of those may provide the information you need.
@tman12-
Make sure that you update the latest AMD CCC driver (12.3 rev) from here- Graphics Drivers & Software, and then you can start off by disable everything in CCC Video/Quality other than "Enforce Smooth Video Playback". In XBMC, you enable DXVA2 but select DXVA as Render Method instead of Auto and disable "Adjust refresh rate" and "Sync playback".....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
And BluRay to the rescue.

I'm gonna start pinging you with all the AMD video playback issues Wink
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I am still having the issue. I was pretty sure I had the updated graphics software, but I uninstalled and installed from your link. Went in and turned all of the Video settings off except enforce smooth playback. Also, GPU and ITC acceleration are enabled by default so I left them alone. Set DXVA in XBMC as render method and DXVA2 enabled and still I see green artifacts for a few seconds everytime I resume an x264 file. Other codecs are working perfect, just x264 is giving the green artifacts during resume and after a long seek (chapters). I really hope I can get this resolved, it is so upsetting. Everywhere I read people were saying the A8-3870 would be a beast and play anything I threw at it. It does play fine after it gets going, but I want it to be perfect. Please help, and thanks for your suggestions.
Just wanted to give a little update, I have everything working 100%. Hooooraaayyy! My settings are below in case another 3870k user is experiencing any problems. LAV filters saved the day for me. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Install latest graphics software
Disable all color, enhanced settings except GPU and ITC - leave those on
Install DSplayer eden build
Turn off the settings bluray suggested above - leave on DXVA2
Install LAV filters following the guide - IMPORTANT
@tman12-
How is the playback with PDVD, TMT or MPC-HC? If all the players have the same issue, you might have to call AMD tech for help. One last suggestion, can you select "High Performance" power option in Windows 7 control panel....

I tried most of the settings in AMD CCC to generate artifact, but I don't see it on my AMD HD5570 GPU.

Edited-
I'm trying to response to you while watching basketball game. My response end up after your latest response. I'm glad that you got it to work....Nod
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A8 3870k with AMD Radeon 6550 HD Graphics0