XBMC w/o a display
Will XBMC start and run if the display is disconnected (after a successful install)?
hmmm, i think so. i run 2 xbox's with xbmc, mostly for music so i never turn on a display. but they are hooked up, tho i don't think it can tell if component jacks are plugged in, like it can with hdmi. of course i may be full of it also. try it.
Yes it will, well, unless your video card/drivers do something silly. Note that XBMC doesn't work well with remote access tools like VNC or Remote Desktop. You may be able to get it to work, several people hereabouts have managed it, but there are no guarantees.

JR
(2012-04-11, 11:59)jhsrennie Wrote: Yes it will, well, unless your video card/drivers do something silly. Note that XBMC doesn't work well with remote access tools like VNC or Remote Desktop. You may be able to get it to work, several people hereabouts have managed it, but there are no guarantees.

I've got an issue with XBMC running without display. I use XBMC as internet radio server. When I was installing and configuring XBMC, I had monitor connected to PC, after that I disconnected the display and when I restart computer, XBMC crashed on startup. If I only connect cable to monitor or tv, XBMC stops crashing, after disconnection it crashes again. When it is started and I disconnect the display it works good. So it seems, that some startup checks crashes it.
My XBMC is MSI WindBox II, it has an Atom processor and Intel 945 Express graphics.

What can I do, to fix this. Log file shows nothing

@Kryzys

When you boot without a connected monitor, is it just XBMC that crashes or your entire system? If it's the latter, you may want to check your BIOS to see if there's a setting to ignore errors for missing hardware at system boot.
(2012-10-26, 20:26)artrafael Wrote: @Kryzys

When you boot without a connected monitor, is it just XBMC that crashes or your entire system? If it's the latter, you may want to check your BIOS to see if there's a setting to ignore errors for missing hardware at system boot.

It is XBMC, because if I connect through VNC and I want to manually start it it is constantly crashing. If I only connect it through DVI-HDMI cable to TV and start it again it runs okey. It is driving me crazy. Tomorrow I can upload crashlog.
Here is debug log... frankly I see nothing interesting in there:
Frodo debug log (crash)
Eden debug log (crash)

Crashdump from frodo: http://www.mediafire.com/?v06n55488bb1lvs
Crashdump from Eden: http://www.mediafire.com/?ndi966qtd34db1d
you may want to try tomorrows nightly and see if you come further. if it still crashes attach a new crashdump.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow and post a report.
When nightly build will be available? Day by day it was ready about 10, but today it is not :|

Chris
XBMCSetup-20121028-6d17467-master.exe is available
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Another crash. Attaching log and crashdump.

Debug log

Crash dump

Chris
looks like we don't come further now. XBMC is not meant to run headless yet. Maybe in future but not now.
Damn :| My only hope now is DVI/VGA dummy.
Anyway thanks for your effort,

Chris
I'm running it headless. Installed it on a Win 7 box (intel MB). I can access it via RDP. I do not try to actually view videos or play music though. I use it for scraping/cleanup and XWMM. I have it set up to scan/cleanup on startup. I then use a IP relay to remotely boot/shutdown and use RDP for XWMM and general management.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC w/o a display0