First HTPC build - feedback/suggestions please
fingers crossed!!!!
Case won't be in stock until end of May, frowny face.
I've ordered one from interstate so hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week.
oh really, wow, ok, hope you'll get it soon!
I'll be building very similar htpc in this isk110. Although the power brick is 90 watt, the internal power supply is only 80. Here's a photo:

wow, ANTEC support was awful on this one then,
the dude said it should be MD-90,
he s**ks....

anyhow, ISK-110 FTW!!

what CPU will you use?
Here's the whole thing:

1 Thermaltake CLP0527 92mm CPU Fan For Intel LGA775 & AMD FM1/AM3/AM2+/AM2/939/754 FAN-CLP527 $42.99 $42.99
1 Antec ISK 110 VESA 90W Mini-ITX Desktop Case (Black) CA-ISK110V $78.99 $78.99
1 ASRock A75M-ITX Socket FM1/ AMD A75 FCH/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard MB-A75MITX $88.99 $88.99
1 AMD A-Series APU (CPU+GPU) Triple-Core A6-3500 (2.1 GHz) FM1, Retail AD3500OJBX $70.99 $70.99
1 [FR] Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G DDR3-1333 8GB(2x4GB) CL9 Memory Kit D31333B8G9 $48.99 $48.99
1 Crucial M4 2.5 inch 64GB SATA3 Solid State Drive(MLC) CT064M4SSD $89.99 $89.99
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit(1-Pack), OEM MSGFC02050 $99.99 $99.99
1 Super Talent 8GB Express Duo 2-CH USB3.0 Flash Drive ST3U8E2CK $14.99 $14.99
1 "Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad (920-003070)" $39.99

It's a htpc for my parents (that's why win7) that at the moment are using sony google tv, but are having problems with watching movies from some weird websites (flash issue or something - works fine on their laptop). They wanted a htpc and were "pleasantly surprised" with the price. I'm thinking about a similar setup, but will probably wait for the trinity. At the moment hacked ATV2 suffices...
Will probably start building tomorrow.
fantastic voruxis!

check for 1866 HyperX ram like Beer40's new HTPC uses!
Wow... this is tight. Had to remove the front panel to install the mboard. Bent one of the cpu pin while putting it in. I kind off straighten it out and was able to insert it into socket, but the pin was still a bit crooked by the tip. Hopefully it will work... The cpu cooler back plate screws are in the way if you install the hard drive in upper or lower position. Works if you put it in the middle, but then you only have room for one drive. Fine in my case, but fyi this might be an issue for some.

I have a problem with the atx12v power plug... the cable is too short to reach the socket on the mboard... Will need an extension:
microcenter

wow, so tight yet, so nice!!

man, awesome! exactly the build im looking to do!

keep those screenie coming! we need to keep this thread as reference!

good job!!

MeORB cooler looks insane!!!! FTW!!!
HEy voruxis, can u please create a whole new thread about your HTPC please?

we need to keep this as reference!
All parts received. I've updated the original post.
no MeORB legiong?
Not yet, and so far I don't think I'll need it for my use.
I switched the fan down to 5, thanks for that recommendation. It's quiet as and still cool playing 13GB 1080p mkv's.
I can't imagine I'll push it much more than that for the moment.
(2012-04-26, 01:01)legiong Wrote: I switched the fan down to 5, thanks for that recommendation. It's quiet as and still cool playing 13GB 1080p mkv's.
You'll be fine....I never replace my stock AMD cooler either. It is very quiet when I set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and I set both CPU and case fans to level 5 at first and I lowered it to level 3.......it keep the CPU cool and it's very quiet....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I worked out what I was doing wrong with switching off subtitles. I was just accessing the subtitles menu, I didn't realise I had to go into audio to switch them off.
Does anyone know why you switch off subtitles through audio and not through the subtitles menu?

I'm a bit disappointed in the bluetooth keyboard though, I didn't realise that it wouldn't work in dualboot menu. I haven't got it working in OpenElec either.
I'll have to decide whether to switch to single boot or get a logitech k400, as that keyboard will (apparently) work during boot up.

Still have no idea what's wrong with Wake-on-LAN, I can't get it working. I've contacted ASRock support to see if they can help.

-Updated original post as well.
(2012-04-28, 05:17)legiong Wrote: I'm a bit disappointed in the bluetooth keyboard though, I didn't realise that it wouldn't work in dualboot menu. I haven't got it working in OpenElec either.
I'll have to decide whether to switch to single boot or get a logitech k400, as that keyboard will (apparently) work during boot up..

what works during boot ups are RF 2.4GHz keyboards..
thats why i bought the ipazzport mini RF keyboard and not its bluetooth version.
bluetooth cant let u play in BIOS and stuff...
only works when OS is loaded...
at least, thats what ive been experiencing...

these here are well known RF keyboards...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117231

so yeah, the K400 will work like u want. since its RF!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC build - feedback/suggestions please0