Antec ISK 300-65 - Intel i3 build
Tongue 
Was so happy when i saw eskro's tip about the upgradeable power brick for Antec ISK 300-65. (thanks eskro Smile )
I've been looking for such a case, with that type of fanless PSU, so I've decided to built
a setup based on that nice case Tongue
So far, this is what I've come up with:

Case: Antec ISK 300-65
Mobo: ASRock H67M-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz
SSD: Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064D 64 GB
Mem: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB)

OS: Debian (Thinking of installing Ubuntu, because of better multimedia packages support). But no Windows for me.
It's running 24/7/365, running Postfix, Apache, MySQL, Samba etc... (that's why I chose the 35w version of the i3 CPU).

My goal is, for building this myself instead of f.ex. buying a Zotac ID82, to have some flexibility, low noise and low power options.
Got some questions for this setup, I hope you guys can help me with Smile

1) I wan't to try out the Intel HD Graphics, but if it doesn't turn out well, I wan't to be able to
put an discrete Nvidia fanless graphics card in it. The board has a PCIe x16, but will a GT210 or maybe
a GT430 fit in the case?

2) After reading eskro's and others recommendations of the Scythe BIG Shuriken 2, I would really like this in my setup.
But it doesn't seem to fit? Undecided http://www.itxgamer.com/motherboards/asr...-container
Comment nr 2 states, that it won't fit, because it will block the PCIe slot, but that theres a slight chance, that it could fit with Intel DH67CF mobo.
Anyone tried this?
If not, is there any other cooler, smaller, which will fit, and is almost as good as the BIG Shuriken 2? Recommendations?

3) Will this be more noiseless, than the Asrock ION 330?

4) With the above setup, the original 65w should be fine right? (superb that I can change it, if I put af discrete card in there :-) )

Thanks Big Grin
CoreELEC 19.3
LG OLED CX 65 - Yamaha RX-V775 . Dali Opticon 6.
1) case is tiny. fanLess GT210 by ZOTAC might fit. not by ASUS. but GT430 by ASUS will do.

2) i've posted enough images of that scythe cooler in the isk300-65 case. it does fit.

3) it will be dead silent.

4) yes, for HTPC use, default 65W is ok.

however,
i would go with the i3-2105 (has hd3000 graphics too).

and why not this HT version of your motherboard --> Here
come's with ASROCK SMART REMOTE package so you can
Power ON your HTPC from a complete OFF sate!
@morfeus-

If you upgrade the power brick to this "90W HP GATEWAY", you can have this Intel i3 "Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz" with better HD3000 iGPU. You'll have a very powerful system, and you might not have to install a discrete GPU.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
u dont have to upgrade your power brick to handle the i3-2105.

if u stick to HTPC use, 65w is ok,,,

is it me or no one reads the reviews?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5696/puget...65-watts/4

I'm curious to exactly what they run for their load power consumption, since it go over the 56 number they quote for a6-3500 quite easily with prime.
@eskro - with space in mind, which motherboard would go for? I'm not the "wooho there's a new thing" -guy. I hope this build will last the next...min. 3 years.
(I've almost had the Asrock ION 330 for 3 years...it pooped the HD ½ year ago, and the last two months it's been really noisy...metalic-noisy-way )

2) You've posted great pics of the scythe biggie, I've drooled over that thing, but sorry, I don't think that'll fit. I Wish.
Maybe on an AMD setup, there's a better chance Smile
3) Weee :-) Also with the stock cooler, that I'm gonna start with?

eskro - There's about $20 difference here in Denmark. But that's not the biggie. I've read forums, with users who said that the IR-dongle would only work within 1,5 meters. Thats a dealbreaker for me. The Intel DH67CF mobo has a CIR expansion thing.
But...there's 6 USB ports, so there's room for me, to sacrifice one port, for my loyal MCE dongle ;-)
WiFI doesn'r matter for me, it would just be a bonus.

@bluray - You've got a really good point. I wan't to build it low power, with the i3 35w.
But while googling, I'm a bit confused. The Asus mobo says "Intel HD 3000". The CPU says "HD 2000". I'm a noob in that area. What would i get? 2000 or 3000?
(not sure about the difference, hope that it'll play/perform better, or at least the same as my ION, on linux)

I really appreciate you guys feedback Smile

...and...are you guys hooked on AMD?
There's no "FTW!!!" or "Wooo, that setup...I almost touched my penis there, I wan't that setup" Big Grin

Wink
CoreELEC 19.3
I know this setup is a bit pricey, but the taxes here in Denmark are way high.
And the recommended Patriot SSD, isn't available here also. So I had to find something similar with great recommendations.
CoreELEC 19.3
eskro & waver - it's 65w - I know the i3 that i chose, with 35w TDP, is slower.
But my build is a 24/7/365 , and my electric bill is almost through the rough .
I've just got an LED, instead of be beloved Pana Plasma. That's 1/3 of the bill.
This setup, won't be lower power, than my Asrock ION, but i hope for about the same, maybe a bit more, realistic.
Just wan't it to be quiet. I've got small, but very sensitive ears, when it comes to noise Smile
CoreELEC 19.3
ok so where are we? LoL
(2012-04-12, 00:39)eskro Wrote: u dont have to upgrade your power brick to handle the i3-2105.

if u stick to HTPC use, 65w is ok,,,

is it me or no one reads the reviews?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5696/puget...65-watts/4
There is no i3-2105 in it.....as the other guy in the other thread found out, his 65W A6-3500 can spike up to 75W. Power brick is very cheap...why not play it save?

(2012-04-12, 02:16)morfeus Wrote: @bluray - You've got a really good point. I wan't to build it low power, with the i3 35w.
But while googling, I'm a bit confused. The Asus mobo says "Intel HD 3000". The CPU says "HD 2000". I'm a noob in that area. What would i get? 2000 or 3000?
I'm trying to point out that you can get i3-2105 for the same price as i3-2120T in your list by upgrading to 90W power brick (it's very cheap upgrade). You'll get a better i3-2105 with 3.1GHz CPU and HD3000 iGPU....

Oh, the mobo can handles both HD2000/HD3000 iGPU's...

(2012-04-12, 02:16)morfeus Wrote: ...and...are you guys hooked on AMD?
There's no "FTW!!!" or "Wooo, that setup...I almost touched my penis there, I wan't that setup" Big Grin
Wink
Not me! After installing several i5 PC's for the last couple months, I'm leaning toward 65W i3-2105 with HD300.

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-04-12, 03:40)bluray Wrote: as the other guy in the other thread found out, his 65W A6-3500 can spike up to 75w

hum, the spike occured when he Prime95'ed
--> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1072446

which is something he'll never use....

i have nothing to say about playing it safe,
im just saying that 65w is enough here for HTPC use
and we have proof.
@eskro - heh, if a discrete fanless Nvidia will fit, it's down to the CPU cooler. Any good smaller alternatives to the scythe biggie?
Almost pulling the tricker on this setup, else I'm never gonna get my Asrock ION replacement Smile

@bluray - Fair enough. It performs better, no doubt, but for a 24/7/365, it should be better with the T model, right?
The i3 is actually overkill for me at the moment, but i'd like this setup to be "future proof", with discrete gpu card in mind.
And, with the upgrade from the Asrock ION 330, I wan't some of a boost, for my money Smile
Actually, the Asrock 2. gen ION, is only about $35 cheaper, vs the above setup.
Denmark is a great and lovely little contry, but taxes are crazy Wink
That's one reason, why i love the Antec case. The pico-PSU, would cost me almost doubble, with shipment.
That means, I'll "only" get HD 2000 with my setup? Hope it will blend, because i don't know the difference Smile
CoreELEC 19.3
CPU COOLER: thermaltake MeOrb

you'll get HD3000 graphics with your motherboard and the i3 u chose
Thanks eskro. Now i know, that it's possible to get a silent setup, when there's no room for the big shuriken 2 + a future PCIe discrete graphics card.
Great, HD3000 must logicaly be better than HD2000. As long as it plays 1080p flawless, and all other smaller things, I'm happy :-)
CoreELEC 19.3

Let us know how this build would go, curious to see your power usage numbers too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Antec ISK 300-65 - Intel i3 build0