Can Someone Explain Stacking - I Did See Wiki
Can someone explain movie stacking to me in XBMC. I come from the Boxee Box experience where multiple associated movies and extras stack under one cover. My work flow takes the main movie and all the associated extras and I use Ember created NFO's. As long as the movie ID (IMDB) is the same in the NFO between the movie and the extras all files stack under one cover.

How does XBMC work in this regard?
XBMC will stack multi part movie files when they are scanned into the library. So if you have "My.Movie.CD1.avi" and "My.Movie.CD2.avi" then it will stack them both as "My.Movie" in the library so when you play it, it will automatically go onto the 2nd file when it reaches the end of the first.

XBMC also supports box sets. For example, my 4 lethal weapon movies will show up as "Lethal Weapon Collection" in my library and when I enter it I will see all 4 movies. I think if you are creating your own nfo files (I do this with media center master) then it must fill in the boxset field for XBMC to associate the files.

I also think if you let XBMC do the scraping it will scrap that info for you when importing the videos.

Hope this helps.
Ember has a Tool that allows you to create SETS that XBMC will use - Great for James Bond and the like.
I think you have to enable it Settings for it to work Huh
System > Settings > Video > Library > Group movies in sets > Enable

Cheers Skipman
Gavin, what would the boxset entry look like in the NFO? I used Ember.
Well using my Blade 2 nfo it looks like this.......
<movie>
<title>Blade 2</title>
<originaltitle>Blade II</originaltitle>
<sorttitle>Blade 2</sorttitle>
<set>Blade Filme</set>

The <set> tag gives me one Folder icon in the library view, and when I select it it opens up to the 3 Blade movies ......

Hope that helps

This has to be set in XBMC not in Ember - Sorry about that - but my English is abit rusty - been living in Germany for the last 15 years Confused
I think you have to enable it Settings for it to work
System > Settings > Video > Library > Group movies in sets > Enable

The Skipman
Skipman, you've given me some direction. I was trying this out on NFO only. I will look into setting this in XBMC. Thanks.
One thing it won't do, which I know people coming from Boxee miss, is stack multiple versions of the same movie under one title (e.g. having a 720p and 1080p version of a movie, it won't stack them and let you choose which version to play when selected).
(2012-04-12, 19:23)DLeavy Wrote: One thing it won't do, which I know people coming from Boxee miss, is stack multiple versions of the same movie under one title (e.g. having a 720p and 1080p version of a movie, it won't stack them and let you choose which version to play when selected).

Well I've never tried that, but it might work by using
<title>Blade - 1080p</title>
<sorttitle>Blade - 1080p</sorttitle>
<set>Blade Collection</set>

And for the other....

<title>Blade - 720p</title>
<sorttitle>Blade - 720p</sorttitle>
<set>Blade Collection</set>

Bit more hands on with the editing of .nfos - but should work Huh - maybe Smile

The Skipman
DLeavy, There is reference in the wiki about stacking using the Die Hard series as the example. I think what your saying is, in list view it sums the multiple into one description but unlike Boxee it won't do it under one cover in thumb view. Is my impression right?
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse things - just that in the past, some Boxee converts had asked if XBMC would have a single entry in the library for a single movie, and once selected, it would present the different resolution options when multiple were available. Just wanted to clarify that's not what stacking does. Although Skipman's manual nfo suggestion might work for that scenario - just not sure how you would get 2 versions of the same movie in the database and easily distinuish them by resolution. Anyway, I'm taking things off topic again

Stacking is the functionality that takes a multi-file movie and presents them as a single library entry. Movie Sets is the functionaltiy to take multiple movies from a series/collection and group them together under a parent library entry that is expanded into the multiple movies when selected.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Someone Explain Stacking - I Did See Wiki0