Linux Problems with AC3 Stereo files (XBMC 10.1 and 11)
Hi all,

Long term user, first time poster - please be gentle Smile

Over the last few months I've noticed that certain mkv files have been causing my AV reciever to 'freak out'; namely it tries to lock onto the DD2.0 signal, plays it for at most a few seconds, goes silent (no sound signal), gets it again, looses it. At times this degrades into just constant clicking as the amp tries to lock on.

As far as I can tell, anything with a 5.1 or DTS soundtrack is fine - it's just the 2.0 files.

My kit is an an Acer Revo R3610, with the Nvidia ION-1 chipset going into an Onkyo 5008 AV amp, and I've tried both HDMI and Optical with the same result. I initially had the problem on XBMC 10.1, but just tried the Eden LiveCD and found it has the same problem, so no quick fix there Smile The system sound settings are Speaker Config set to 5.1, AC3 capable YES, DTS capable YES. If I untick the AC3 support and force PCM over HDMI then I can't hear any problems, but then the amp isn't having to log onto a digital signal at that point. This isn't a great long-term solution though as I'd really like the amp to do the decoding.

I've search the forums but not found anything that looks similar yet, and so am hoping someone may have come across this before or can give me suggestions on how to go about debugging / resolving the issue.

Any (and all) help welcome!

Thanks,
Lensy.

I am having the exact same problem and was searching for a fix when I came across your post.

AC3 2.0 causes problems but DD 5.1 and DTS work flawlessly.

I have tried it with openelec, XBMCbuntu and a few different LiveCD's, Dharma/Eden, all with the same problem.

Did you find a solution?

My amp is an Onkyo NR509 so maybe it's only an issue with Onkyos?
Hey,

No, I'm afraid I gave up .. had a friend try one of the files on his copy of XBMC, also with an Onkyo amp, and he came back saying he didn't notice any issues

Given the lack of replies on here I then figured it must just be me Smile Glad to hear I was wrong!

Maybe we should compare notes - what sorts of files are you having trouble with? In my case it's mostly tv shows; Fringe and Chuck were particularly bad.

Another Onkyo user here Smile but no problems on my side (when it turns on, it has this thing that whenever he so decides it shuts off and I have to wait a few days untill it works again... untill it decides to fail again....)

The Onkyo is the TX-SR501 but I dont use any digital options, I'm all in analog setups with it (it has digital coax and SPDIF too).

I was wondering, however, those tv shows you mention, are downloads or from a dvd? cause usually downloads dont have more than just stereo audio and I've never come upon a show that under this condition dont work or give me those problems you mention.

Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
I have problems with 99% of 2 channel AC3 TV Shows [downloaded] - such as South Park, The Mentalist, Fringe, Supernatural. TV Shows with 5.1 tracks such as Game of Thrones, The Killing, Raising Hope work fine.

The amp picks up the signal for the 2 channel AC3 shows as 'PL II Movie' but manually changing the mode to direct or stereo on the Onkyo doesn't have any effect.

Audio is through HDMI. I have tried with a custom built AMD Fusion media centre and an Acer Revo R3610 - both exhibit the same problem.

My thinking is that as no one else is experiencing these problems - it might be an issue with Onkyo/XBMC. I am half tempted to buy another amp just to test this theory as I can't think of anything else to try?
just to add, exactly the same happening to me, onkyo 809, 2 channel ac3 audio multiple dropouts on numerous files. Its so frustrating and not many people seem to be noticing it so it doesnt get any attention. I dont know if its the onkyo or XBMC or the combination but im also tempted to change my amp to something else to see if it fixes it.
I'm glad (or not) to hear that this issue if affecting more than 2 people and not just me going crazy.

Since my last post I have been doing some experimenting - I tried it with XBMC on a Windows 7 machine and the same issues cropped up. I then tried it with the new AE builds in Windows to see if that would fix it - it didn't. As a last resort I tried Boxee on Windows 7 and still the same problems. Don't really know what to think other than the Onkyo amp/firmware being the culprit especially as no one else is reporting similar problems with the above set-up's I tried.

I am now on the lookout for a non-Onkyo amp and will update this thread when I manage to find one in my budget and will see if that causes the same issue with the hardware I have.
ill be interested to hear, ive also tried various configurations including a new AE build and the same thing occurs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with AC3 Stereo files (XBMC 10.1 and 11)0