Linux Problems with updated nvidia driver 295.40
Question 
Hi there

today I updated to current nvidia binary driver 295.40 (from 295.33) and using that driver xbmc starts but doesn't display anything. I can navigate the menu (I can hear the clicks when navigating) but screen stays dark. I tried several tricks such as deleting the guisettings.xml in case there were some broken config settings but without success and I can find no error messages at all, neither in XBMC's logfile nor in system logs. Interestingly I can start an X-Session without any problems, so I guess it's related somehow to XBMC itself. Now I reverted back to driver 295.33 and all is fine again.

System:
Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.4 with kernel 2.6.38-14
GPU: GeForce 6150 LE
Display: Flatscreen connected via HDMI
XBMC 11.0 Git:Unknown from ppa.launchpad.net/alexandr-surkov/xbmc/ubuntu (installation date should have been 2012-03-24)

XBMC starts as standalone app from console without X and there were several reboots after installation of driver.

If you need more info or a logfile please tell me.

EDIT: just saw that kernel driver 295.40 doesn't depend on "agpgart" anymore while 295.33 does. Probably that's an important one?
I have a nvidia 6200 pci that does not work with 295.40 , had to downgrade to 295.33 and it works great . There are others over here with the same Problems with 295.40 . https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139535
This problem has been Solved by upgrading to 295.49 .
Am now running on driver 302.07 and it works fine. Smile
I used x-swat:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current libvdpau1

x-swat has the latest 295.53 drivers.

Jerry
(2012-05-18, 01:07)jawilljr Wrote: I used x-swat:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update