SMB shares from Windows 8 PC stopped working on iPad
I can no longer access SMB shares from a PC running Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The same configuration worked perfectly when this computer ran Windows 7. After installing Windows 8, I can see the directories from the iPad, but it prompts me for a user ID and a password. SMB shares on the PC are configured to be shared with "Everyone." I also tried sharing with a username "xbox," but that doesn't work either. Has anyone been able to get XBMC on iPad to work with Windows 8?
Are you able to test this with another computer to see if you can access SMB shares that way? That might tell us if this is some XBMC specific thing, or a wider problem.
I have an Android tablet on the same network and can try to access the shares from it. What Android app should I use to test?
I'm unfamiliar with the Android offerings, but I'm sure you can find something that has a SMB client in it if you search for "SMB" or "CIFS"
OK, I tested with an Android program called ES File Explorer. Selected LAN, add new server, and the Windows 8 computer's IP showed up automatically as a new server. Anonymous access did not work, but I was able to authenticate with my Microsoft ID and password (that's what Windows 8 uses to log you in). Once authenticated, I was able to see the shared directories and play movies via SMB.
Try removing the password ie no password protection.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2012-04-13, 14:45)xbs08 Wrote: Try removing the password ie no password protection.

Windows 8 is tied with multiple cloud services (Skydrive, Contacts, probably Skype in the next release) which require user-level authentication. You log into the operating system by using a Microsoft account (there is a local option, but that cuts you off from those services). None of this should not affect SMB sharing, as proven with the Android example above.
umm how so from you android post you said
Quote:Anonymous access did not work, but I was able to authenticate with my Microsoft ID and password
and with your xbmc post you said
Quote: I can see the directories from the iPad, but it prompts me for a user ID and a password
seems exactly the same to me Confused
Right, so on the Android tablet I can access the SMB directories and stream from them by using the same login/password that I use for my Windows (Microsoft) account. I haven't figured out how to get into the SMB directories anonymously, i.e. without any login and password, although theoretically that should work if you share the folder with "Everyone."

On the iPad, I can see the folder called "Shared" but can't get any further than that, regardless of whether I use the Windows login/password or not use anything at all.
Did you ever get this to work? I'm having the same issue. I think it has something to do with using a Microsoft ID instead of a local account. I'd like to get it to work with the Microsoft ID if possible. On my iPad, ES File Explorer I get access denied, but using FileBrowser, I get in. Not sure what the difference is between the apps. It's my understanding they're both connecting via smb.
I never got it to work, but the original post was made in April 2012, when Windows 8 was still in Consumer Preview. I have not tested this with the final Windows 8 version, which is already out.
I have RTM installed 64-Bit and unfortunately experiencing the same thing you did with the preview.
Did anyone solve this problem yet, i am stuck since i upgraded to Windows 8.1 and cannot access my shares from AppleTV2 to Windows anymore since it is always asking me for login and password

Regards,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB shares from Windows 8 PC stopped working on iPad0