Group 6/7 XBMCBuntu build
I'm considering ripping my collection of DVDs/HD DVDs/Blu-rays as ISOs initally to an existing PC, then once disk prices get sensible building an unRaid box to house them.

For playback I was now thinking of putting together a box to run XBMCBuntu. As I want to bitstream HD audio to my Onkyo 875, this puts me in group 6. Longer term 3D playback would be good, but I don't know how it all works with a non 3D AVR (i.e. use 2 HDMI outputs to cover video and audio), plus I've got a Panasonic 310 in my system to cover it for now.

Having looked at eskro's suggested builds, I've priced up the following parts:
[mobo] Asus P8H61-M LE USB3.0
[CPU] Celeron G530
[GPU] ASUS GT430
[RAM] 2x Kingston ValueRam 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9
Comes out at £154.

I went with this retailer as they are local, so can use their counter collection facility.

Initially would use case and PSU I've got lying around, but need to add a USB flash drive to this to run it from.

I went with the G530 for cost, and the GT430 due to comments with regards to using AMD/ATI cards with Linux.

I'll be wanting to add an IR receiver at some point to be able to control it via a Harmony One.

Would this build be suitable/do what I want? Or are there recommendations on parts to change?

I'd possibly also want to build a second similar system for the bedroom, but atm that one wouldn't need to bitstream HD Audio as the AVR in there is pre-HDMI so would be optical or coax for audio or maybe even analogue.
Would buy a GT430 with a more silent fan. What case are you going to place it inside?
Rip DVD as ISO, others I'd pull vid from, compress, and then store as MKV....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Not identified a case yet. Initially would see what I've got kicking around at home then look at an HTPC case at a later date.

I've had a quick play booting a laptop from the XMBCBuntu CD and got a couple of DVD ISOs to work. I'll look at converting the others to MKVs. Ideally I would have liked to keep the others as ISOs to maintain menus and stuff.
Yeah for DVD iso works best, vob ifo can be done but it trips up many of the metadata programs like Ember and iso is much more portable! I use DVDShrink with no compression to rip, I dump languages I don't speak.

For creating mkv I've done several routes and even written guides. I'd suggest using Anydvdhd, some sort of front-end for eac3to, and then I have found that HandBrake works well for compressing. Use MKVmerge to combine the results. Pay attention to the eac3to log for forced subs. There's a java tool for converting those, sup2sub is the name I think. It's a java program and works well!

Hope that helps :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Well I've been thinking, and may change direction completely.

I'm now debating going down the Windows 7 route with something like an A6-3500, ASRock A75M-ITX (or maybe a Micro ATX variant), 4GB RAM and an SSD.

(2012-04-03, 17:36)Andori Wrote: Well I've been thinking, and may change direction completely.

I'm now debating going down the Windows 7 route with something like an A6-3500, ASRock A75M-ITX (or maybe a Micro ATX variant), 4GB RAM and an SSD.

Smart choice... from what I read I know it's flawless. No headaches. I am too getting a A6-3500 + an AsRock board. Finally going to build it and take it with me when I move around the world. Rofl

(2012-04-03, 20:13)Beer40oz Wrote: Smart choice... from what I read I know it's flawless. No headaches. I am too getting a A6-3500 + an AsRock board. Finally going to build it and take it with me when I move around the world. Rofl

FTW!!!!!1
Having a quick look, my local supplier sells the A75M-HVS. Looking at eskro's A6-3500 mini ITX build I'd want the A75M-ITX for an ITX build or the A75M for a micro ATX build.

For the SSD I was thinking 64Gb Crucial M4, though 64Gb seems overkill.
crucial ssd's are very reliable.
As an interim measure I've got an XPS600 with a 3.4 gig P4 in (only 2 gig RAM though), so going to try an XFX 6450 card in it (£30). Also ordered a 64 gig Crucial M4 from Amazon (£68 with a mounting bracket)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Group 6/7 XBMCBuntu build0