Linux DVD Menu stutters
Hi,

I am running XBMC Eden standalone, using fglrx(Radeon 5450) and a TV connected via HDMI.
My Distro is Debian wheezy running Linux server 3.2.12 #1 SMP on and AMD Athlon II X2 250.
Code:
# dpkg -l | grep xbmc
ii  xbmc                           3:11.0-0.1          XBMC Media Center (full metapackage)
ii  xbmc-bin                       3:11.0-0.1          XBMC Media Center (binary data package)
ii  xbmc-data                      3:11.0-0.1          XBMC Media Center (arch-independent data package)
ii  xbmc-skin-confluence           3:11.0-0.1          XBMC Media Center (Confluence HD skin)

When starting a DVD, the WB-Intro starts, with Video and Sound. After that, the Screen output stops right away, while DVD Menu sound is starting.
After 2-3 loops of the DVD Menu background sound, the visual Menu comes up. And after 3-4 more loops of the background music, I am able to select items in the DVD Menu(start/scene selection/language).

How can I fix that weird behavior?

Here is a debug output, from starting the dvd until menu is fully working.
Log

I discovered that this happens only on some new DVD's.

Since nobody got an idea I will have to wait until more people are running into this trouble.
I have similar problems after upgrading to Eden. On some DVDs, playback would stutter on the DVD menu. Sometimes the video would get jerky or the audio would not start playing until part way into the DVD menu video loop. When I click the Play option on the DVD menu, it may start the movie, but hang 4 seconds into the playback and I would have to log-in to another session to kill xbmc.bin. If, instead, I go to Select Scenes from the DVD menu, I can the first (or any) scene from the movie without incident.

At first, I thought it was just a problem with new DVDs ("Midnight in Paris"), but I encountered similar problems with older DVDs (e.g., "Ray" (2005), "Whale Rider" (2003)). With Ken Burns' "The Civil War" (2002), which uses a static background image on the DVD menu, XBMC displays a black background with just the text of the highlighted DVD menu option displayed.

The problem seems to be with the playback of the DVD menu or starting the movie from the DVD menu.

As a test, I ripped "Midnight in Paris" to an ISO file and tried playing that via XBMC. It exhibits the same problems as with playing the physical DVD, so that seems to rule out the DVD drive hardware as the culprit. I have no trouble playing these DVDs using external players such as Totem, VLC, Mplayer, or xine. These problems occur on two separate systems -- one running Ubuntu 11.04 and the other running 11.10. Neither system had these problems previously on Dharma running the same underlying OS's.

However, if I boot these systems using a thumbdrive installed with Lubuntu (I tested both 11.04 and 11.10) and XBMC-Eden, most of these DVD playback problems don't occur or are minimized (I still get the black background on the DVD menu for "The Civil War", but that's somewhat tolerable). Unless there's a fix coming soon, I will likely convert my production XBMC system to Lubuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD Menu stutters0