Linux Ubuntu 11.10 lightdm won't boot into XBMC
Basic install of Ubuntu 11.10, then configured alsa, NVidia and lirc hardware bits. Then installed the XBMC Eden package.

Onto the auto-boot...

I have followed a few articles including the offical wiki.

My current config looks like this:

Code:
user@host:~$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=jingoman
autologin-user-timeout=0
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=XBMC
default-user=jingoman

I am using the default xsession file from the XBMC install, contents of /usr/share/xsession/XBMC.desktop:

Code:
[quote][Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMC
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center
Exec=xbmc
TryExec=xbmc-standalone
Type=Application[/quote]

Tried amending a few other items, followed by reboot, still the same. I have also looked at the XBMCBuntu config & setup scripts, which uses a different "lighted-gtk-greeter.conf" file, and copied the scripts into the relevant places. Still no joy.

Looking at the log file /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log, it has the following parts:

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.0.6, UID=0 PID=1284
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loaded configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Adding default seat
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting seat
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting new display for automatic login as user jingoman
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting local X display
[+0.21s] DEBUG: X server :0 will replace Plymouth
[+0.23s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.23s] DEBUG: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.23s] DEBUG: Launching X Server
[+0.23s] DEBUG: Launching process 1302: /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch -background none
[+1.11s] DEBUG: Automatically logging in user jingoman
[+1.11s] DEBUG: pam_start("lightdm-autologin", "jingoman") -> (0xc4d200, 0)
[+1.11s] DEBUG: pam_authenticate(0xc4d200, 0) -> 0 (Success)
[+1.11s] DEBUG: pam_acct_mgmt(0xc4d200, 0) -> 0 (Success)
[+1.11s] DEBUG: User jingoman authorized
[+1.18s] DEBUG: Using session ubuntu
[+1.18s] DEBUG: Starting user session
...[+1.20s] DEBUG: Writing /home/jingoman/.dmrc
[+1.27s] DEBUG: Restoring privileges
[+1.34s] DEBUG: Starting session ubuntu as user jingoman
[+1.34s] DEBUG: Logging to /home/jingoman/.xsession-errors
[+1.34s] DEBUG: Launching session

So it is still loading the default "ubuntu" session. Where is it getting this setting from? How the hell do you change it? I see a ~/.dmrc file which contains this and I have tried both deleting it and editing it to also point to the "XBMC" session. STILL no joy!

The only way I have got it to run is following what is in the wiki, which isn't actually using the proper XBMC.desktop config/session file at all, but merely loading a gnome desktop and having the user auto-run the "xbmc -fs" command when already in the desktop:

Code:
[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=gnome-classic
autologin-user=jingoman
autologin-user-timeout=0

[/quote]
this is a bug in lightdm. log out once manually and select the xbmc session at the login screen. After that it should store it as default.
@wsnipex
thanks for the heads up. i have followed your instruction and after a reboot, it goes back into the XBMC session. i did revert my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file to the one that points to the XBMC session, but i think its taking its settings from the previous boot.

originally, i didnt see that choice of sessions, but its hidden under the cog icon to the right of the username as a drop down selection.

thats a pretty massive, and limiting bug, as the only task lightdm does is to launch a particular session.

if its not capable of doing that, its not doing anything more than the previous gnome experience of older ubuntu versions (i.e. the remembering the last used session mechanism is how i had my 10.04LTS & XBMC Dharma setup.
Thanks wsnipex for the headsup on this. Couldnt figure out for the life of me what was going on there.

Probably help a solid few people out dropping this in the xvba from scratch thread.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 11.10 lightdm won't boot into XBMC0