BSOD Woes
I have been having quite a few BSODs lately and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I have the system below

XION HTPC Series XON-810PCB-RD icro ATX / Mini ITX Slim Desktop Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case w/ 450W Power Supply
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX
ZOTAC ZT-20313-10L GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K2/4G

I replaced the case fan and the PSU fan with a couple SilenX IXP-54-14R 80mm Red LED Case Fan.

At first XBMC would hang and I would restart, but then it hang with increasing frequency, and finally started BSODs. I installed WhoCrashed and I get the dxgkrnl.sys and nvlddmkm.sys driver errors. I am using the latest drives for my card. Apparently the dxgkrnl.sys and nvlddmkm.sys driver errors can be a number of different things. I was hoping maybe someone here had some experience with this type of error and could advise me on a possible solution. I was thinking of replacing the graphics card and wanted to also get a recommendation of a good replacement card. Any help would be appreciated. I have listed below the Whocrashed log in case it will help.

On Thu 5/17/2012 6:08:50 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8003E594E0, 0xFFFFF880131E60DC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 5/17/2012 5:10:00 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051712-16520-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1AF0DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8005D4A4E0, 0xFFFFF880132720DC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.10
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.10
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.10 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

I would disable onboard video in the Bios.
Update All Chipset drivers.
Scrub all video drivers off of the system.
reinstall video drivers
I woudl also suggest a different driver version. Definitely clean up old driver files. Driversweeper is a good program for cleaning up leftover video drivers files (there will be a bunch).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BSOD Woes0