Linux Best distro for testing TVHeadend.
I am just experimenting with TVHeadend (my main PVR Server uses NPVR) and must say that I am really rather impressed with it.

I installed it on an old PC running Linux Mint (OS on an SSD and recordings to a laptop HDD) and put in a single DVB-T tuner.

I am a complete Linux novice and cannot help noticing that Mint is packed with loads of features that I do not need.

Are there any other recommended distros that have far less installed as standard?

Could I even get away with just installing Librelec on the PC?
There is a tvheadend addon for LibreELEC, yes - it may not be the absolutely, 100%, up-to-the-moment version, but it's pretty current. So you can run tvheadend directly on your client PC if you like.

People also run it on their routers, though, as well as things like dedicated Pi units, so you have some choices. If you want full-fat Linux, something Debian based is most common (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) and has the best support, although most of the development is actually done by an Arch user.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
Thank you.

If I do go down the LibreELEC on my PC, is there anyway I can install any other programs on it or is it not designed to do this?

The reason I ask is that I would like to also install Emby and mergerfs.
You'd have some limitations - I don't believe that LE supports mergerfs, for example, but there is an Emby addon - it depends on what's been ported. I seem to recall that docker support was added into LE with the last version, so that's one way to extend capabilities if native support isn't already there.

I suppose you have to remember that LE is, first and foremost, a media client - stripped-down Linux with Kodi - and everything else then comes afterwards. It's not trying to be an equivalent to Xubuntu or similar.

You also need to consider whether this is a standalone system, or whether you could have other clients - if that's the case, then a server/NAS with centralised storage (and also your PVR software) would be the way to go. In this instance, your clients don't need mergerfs or similar, as they'd only have small discs, with most storage on the backend server.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
Thanks Yaffle.

I ended up installing TVH on Openmediavault, which works really well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best distro for testing TVHeadend.0