File Sharing
I've been using a 2006 iMac as my office computer/file server, and it's finally starting to crap out on me. It has snow leopard and file sharing to my windows xbmc clients works fine. I've read that there are problems with lion and samba. Is there still a problem now that eden is out? Is there a good workaround or am I better off using windows as a server? I'd really like to stick with mac since I use it as my home office computer as well. Anyone tried out the mountain lion preview and can comment on whether file sharing is still a problem?
smb sharing using apple's smb server on 10.7 and up will always be a problem. We did not break it and there's nothing we can do to fix it. Use one of the know solutions which you can find my searching or looking in the FAQs.
SMBup (wiki) and live happy. That's what I did and it works great.
How is the performance with SMBup? It seems like that or nfs are the best options for windows sharing, but I've never been able to get nfs working correctly.
(2012-05-16, 23:55)Baloeb Wrote: How is the performance with SMBup? It seems like that or nfs are the best options for windows sharing, but I've never been able to get nfs working correctly.

Seems to be on pair with SMB from 10.6. NFS will be better over-all, but won't be as simple. The great part is SMBUp just installs the old Samba server, which just runs in the background like normal. So you can get both SMB and NFS if you wanted.
Thanks! That's good to know. I was worried about getting a new mac, but it sounds like it's not much of a problem anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File Sharing0