Win My BRRip Playback Branch of Eden
It would probably make things easier for the XBMC developers if a pull request on the XBMC github was made. While these fixes remain on forum posts and on users own githubs I doubt anything will get done, this thread certainly appears to have got zero attention from the developers thus far.
Please please can we add this to officially be supported, it is mind boggling to me how this has not received more attention. Doing search after search for solutions to pgs subtitle problem has returned dozens of threads on here over the years of people ripping bluray discs and asking why or how they can get their forced subtitles show up. This is a huge issue, and to me this is amongst the biggest breakthrough in xbmc functionality.

I know the standard of thinking is just to rip your blurays or whatever in mkvmerge and mark forced subtitles, but that can be completely hit or miss figuring out which titles require forced subtitles. A recent movie for instance had one line of pgs forced subtitles, furthermore if the forced subtitle section is embeded in the full subtitle stream itself, it can cause more headaches and the need to use eac3to to demux the forced subtitles and then remux it and it just becomes a huge hassle. Especially for bluray tv shows with many episodes spread out over multiple discs, or doing large amounts of movies this all becomes incredibly time consuming, and the solution is right here....

I was trying this hakuya build just the other day with breaking bad. Season 4 the mexican forced subtitles showed up perfectly right on time. It was perfect.

I think this is why many people who do bluray or untouched rips dont use xbmc internal player and suggest using mpc, i believe it can detect forced subtitles. This is a huge hole in the xbmc player and the fix is right their, I just dont know how it can get some attention. I tried posting this thread in the feature request but I doubt it will do any good.

I will definately do whats needed here to help, but I dont know what I can do to help the process. If anyone actually has a full frodo build with this fix it would also be greatly appreciated. I dont even know what a pull request is....

I have tried hard to contact the author, the first message i sent was 2 minutes after he logged off, and he has not logged back in since.
As I've said these patches need to be done as a pull request on the XBMC github, that is the proper way to get the developers attention and get patches merged, anything like this languishing in a forum thread and that is not on github will generally get ignored.

Majin appears to have done a Frodo version for himself, so maybe he could post a compiled build.
Yes but as i mentioned how does a simple user do a pull request on xbmc github? I am a general user, never even ventured on xbmc github. And what is the proper steps to do one properly since i am not the author of this and really have no idea what he has done. Do I just sign up on xbmc github, hit pull request, and mention this forum post?

And yes majin if you could help out with a frodo build it would be extremely appreciated.
Since the original author has disappeared it needs a coder to take up the challenge of reworking the patches for Frodo, then submitting a pull request that'll apply cleanly to the current code. It's not something a non coder can do, as even once the pull request is done and assuming the XBMC dev's have no objection to the purpose of the patches, they may still request changes/modifications to the code before it's merged.
So what would be the best way to bring this to a developers attention then, should I do a feature request on the xbmc trac site after frodo is released? I know whether a developer would be interested in taking this on is one thing, but my goal is at least to make them aware as people who venture on this thread said they already did not know of this build, and i have spoken to users on other forums who had no idea this existed either. And I know their is more people then just users on this thread interested, doing a search for pgs subtitle xbmc on google leads to many results over years. But I dont know what i can do to at least bring this to their attention if i cant do a pull request. Just seems like its going to waste sitting on here.
jjd-uk has said a couple times that the best way is to make the modifications in the Frodo source and submit a pull request.

I actually replicated the changes in the Frodo source tonight and am just about to run some tests. If everything works well I'll submit a pull request unless someone else would prefer to. I've never done it for xbmc before but there's a first time for everything.

As Majin mentioned there were actually very few modifications needed for Frodo, most of the changes have already been integrated.

This is definitely a huge gap and often times a deal breaker for blu-ray users.
GreenOnyx, that would be great if you could do that so that the issue and solution is provided following an official path, and should get a response from the XBMC dev team on how they wish to proceed.

Since you appear to have some understanding of the code, are the changes in the ffmeg libraries? reason I ask is that I would expect the version of ffmeg XBMC uses to be bumped to a newer release, so if some of these modifications are now part of the main ffmeg code that XBMC pulls from then it's possible the XBMC libraries won't need to be patched once the ffmeg version has been bumped.
(2012-12-19, 05:41)GreenOnyx Wrote: jjd-uk has said a couple times that the best way is to make the modifications in the Frodo source and submit a pull request.

I actually replicated the changes in the Frodo source tonight and am just about to run some tests. If everything works well I'll submit a pull request unless someone else would prefer to. I've never done it for xbmc before but there's a first time for everything.

As Majin mentioned there were actually very few modifications needed for Frodo, most of the changes have already been integrated.

This is definitely a huge gap and often times a deal breaker for blu-ray users.

Thank you very much! This is a huge step!

As I mentioned though I have no idea how to make these modifications in the frodo source, you know more then I do even if its your first time its highly appreciated step that I had no idea how to do, thats why I was asking again if their is anything else I can do to bring it to their attention since I was useless at applying jjd suggestion.

And your last sentence was spot on, part of the reason I have not switched to xbmc internal player and was still using full menus and tmt was due to the forced subtitle issue.

(2012-12-19, 13:13)jjd-uk Wrote: GreenOnyx, that would be great if you could do that so that the issue and solution is provided following an official path, and should get a response from the XBMC dev team on how they wish to proceed.

Since you appear to have some understanding of the code, are the changes in the ffmeg libraries? reason I ask is that I would expect the version of ffmeg XBMC uses to be bumped to a newer release, so if some of these modifications are now part of the main ffmeg code that XBMC pulls from then it's possible the XBMC libraries won't need to be patched once the ffmeg version has been bumped.

Yes, their in the ffmpeg libraries. I had the same thought on the ffmpeg version. I actually checked the ffmpeg github this morning and it looked like all of the changes we want are in the latest version now. I'm swamped today but tonight I'm going to go over it line by line, if someone submits a pull request we obviously want any ffmpeg changes to match the ffmpeg code perfectly.

Other than those changes, hakuya's solution only had a one line modification to one of XBMC's files. I'll know more tonight/tomorrow and post back.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue/fix yet because I've remuxed most of my library and have all of the needed PGS streams modified so that they show properly. I loaded the original Avatar today and am playing with it a little so I should know more on that in the coming day also.

Looks like we might be even closer than we thought so let's keep our fingers crossed.
Thanks again and this is great to hear, this will be a fix appreciated by more then just the users on this thread for quite some time.
Green just wanted to check to make sure everything is going ok, if their is anything i can do, perhaps testing if you need I would be happy to help, quite a few of my bluray tv shows require forced pgs subtitle detection, I did not want to locate forced subtitles to flag with eac3to for every episode on every tv bluray disc (would take me years), they all have a forced track included in the mkv, but are not currently flagged so I can test if you need help. Hakuyas eden build has worked great for me so far. I could also check folders and iso of movies as well.

If not i hope all is going well, im really hoping we can get this officially included.
Everything seems to work great on the tests that I ran. Between that, the fact that there weren't any differences between hakuya's code and the fix for Frodo, and the fact that ffmpeg has already implemented this, I think the fix is pretty safe. I submitted a pull request a few minutes ago, we'll see what the developers say.

In my opinion the best fix is to update ffmpeg, it looks like xbmc is pretty far behind. I'm sure that's not an easy task considering the changes that have occured over time.

Hopefully they're willing to implement this fix until that happens. It seems pretty safe unless someone is aware of a scenario where there are forced subs that they don't want to see. My guess is that either doesn't exist or is not the norm. The benefits here seem to greatly outweigh any possible drawbacks.
Thanks for your work on that.

Just had a look at the pull request, it maybe worth mentioning these fixes come from the current ffmeg master.

XBMC is currently at ffmeg 0.10.2, updated for Frodo back in March, do you know which version these fixes went in?
Thanks again for the work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My BRRip Playback Branch of Eden2