Help clarify my understanding of MySQL setup for thumbs
Was following instructions from XBMC Wiki for MySQL library-syncing.

Good so far with the actual movie files.

Then I came to the part where I need to set up thumb syncing..

I set up a SMB share for thumbs on my "library" machine (a WindowsXP machine, where the files and also MySQL db is).

I added path substitution for thumbs in advancedsettings.xml file on my other devices (ie: MacBook Pro).

Clarification needed #1: I noticed that I didn't need to do the "pathsubstitution" thing in advancedsettings.xml for the "library" machine (the WindowsXP machine). I'm able to change on one machine, and it'll update on the other machine and vice versa. Is this good? Or was I supposed to go ahead and do the pathsubstitution for thumbs as well on the machine where videos/thumbs are?

Clarification needed #2: To my surprise, even though my SMB share was set to "read only" (as per WindowsXP property info), and also "allow network users to change my files" was unchecked in the "sharing" tab, I was able to change fanart on MacBook Pro (not where the vids/thumbs are), and when I check on the WindowsXP machine where my thumbs are, I see that my fanart was updated to what I chose on the other machine. I find this odd, is this expected behavior?
1: You don't need path subs on the computer that is hosting your thumbs because they are in the location XBMC expects them to be in

2: no idea. Sounds like a fluke in Windows?
Yep - I've since decided to use path subs on all including the host. Through experiments I noticed that "remote fanart" isn't showing up on non-host xbmc devices when I try to access movie information for a movie where fanart has not yet been downloaded on the host.

Better experience that way. I also found that it's better to give write permission on Movies, TV, and Thumbs shares (as suggested by the XBMC wiki), things work out better that way. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help clarify my understanding of MySQL setup for thumbs0