DNLA/UPnP mystery
Hi all.

Semi-newb to XBMC.

I have XBMC Eden 11 up and running and configured as I want it to be on an ATV2 and on a Powerbook.

My primary a/v machine is a prior-gen Mac Mini. I have Boxee running on it fine. However, after poking around in XBMC on the other devices I see why XBMC tends to be where people end up, so I am working on getting the Mini set up.

I have two DNLA / UPnP sources, an EyeConnect (hosted on the Mini) and PlayOn (on a PC in another room).

Both the ATV and the Powerbook were able to browse to the UPNP sources in XBMC and add them. The mini cannot, and adding the PlayOn source via IP address fails as well. Adding the EyeConnect is not needed as the served sources are local to the Mini's filesystem.

All the machines are on the same subnet and can ping each other. The Mini is unfirewalled for the purposes of adding the UPNP sources to XBMC.

A different physical DNLA device connected to the same hub as the Mini can see both the EyeConnect and the PlayOn server and play the media successfully.

It is driving me nuts. It looks as if the Mini is on a separate subnet for the purposes of the UPNP sources, but logically, that can't be right. What am I missing? Should I add the long hex code address of the upnp devices I can see in the other instances when I open the sources in XBMC?

I should note that the same invisibility pertains within Boxee as well.
So it's an issue with the computer as a whole... hmm.

One thing worth pointing out (before going any further) is that you won't be able to add UPnP files into the library.
from the wiki :"The drawback is that an upnp Server only sends metadata and so it is not possible to integrate the upnp shares into the XBMC library."
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP

Still want to stick with UPnP?

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
yeah, I don't care about library stuff at all. don't use it on any of the installs or boxes, i just browse the files directly.

Playon is the draw here and there's no meaningful use for library stuff there either.
one other point, it affects XBMC-derived applications only as far as i have been able to test. I can ping the PlayOn host PC from Terminal without a problem. I suppose a decent test case would be to find a non-XBMC-derived UPNP client for mac. tall order. Hm, I wonder if VNC might be able to help there. Maybe running a port sniff against the host PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DNLA/UPnP mystery0