Full HD playback is choppy
Hi there,

i briefly searched the forums but i did not found a matching thread.... so please forgive me if i am wrong.

Full HD playback is not fluent on XBMCbuntu. Every minute or so (depending on the film and the bitrate of the file being played) the image either stays still for some seconds and fast forwards to catch up with the audio, which seems to be unaffected. Or the image just slows down and then recovers again. Sometimes the FPS just drops for a while. That's really annoying, as you can probably imagine...

I have the following setup:
XBMCbuntu runs on my (very) old gaming rig:

Core2Duo 2,1 GHz with 4 GB RAM
nvidia 8800 GTS
XBMCbuntu runs from a flashdrive (possible bottleneck here?)

The system is streaming the files from my home server via samba shares. (although it is a linux server, so samba is only needed for my windows machines.). Most of the files are rared. Database and Thumbnails are synchronized and located on the fileserver.
The machines are connected via Gbit LAN. The System which runs XBMC was able to playback 1080p without any problems when it was used for gaming. XBMC is using about 50% CPU while playing 1080p.
When i stream movies to XBMC running on my current gaming rig (Windows 7) anything is fine. So the server and the network seem to be fast enough.

So i figured there might be 3 issues:

- graphic card (driver) not supported and cpu has to decode 1080p.
- CPU to weak to unpack und render on the fly.
- flashdrive to slow (does xbmc buffer on it)

If you have any idea what is causing my< troubles and what to change please tell me Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full HD playback is choppy0