Building New HTPC Questions
Hi there guys,
I'm technically competent/savy/understand most stuff but I'm unfortunately super busy these days - so i don't have a ton of time to read and research some of the things that I could answer for myself if i did have the time. I've looked at the pinned topics here, but I'm hoping that someone will take a look at a few questions and either point me to a particular product/component.

my budget is probably around $700, but again - since I don't know where things are with technology - i can probably go a bit more if need be.

Here's a list of equipment that I own that the HTPC will be plugged into:
TV: Panasonic TC-P58S2
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR608 (I have a 5.1 audio setup currently)
Router: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT build 18024

I plan on using this HTPC to stream locally stored music and video files throughout my home, house my entire dvd collection (which I'm ripping as we speak), stream video, rip blue ray discs, etc... I'm not going to be using it to game, and I couldn't care less about 3D technology. So I'm probably going to skimp on the processor speed, jack up the ram, and put most of my money in to the audio video components and the storage capacity.

I'm inclined to run XBMC on top of WindowsHS (or perhaps windows 8), so keep that in mind with these questions:

Here are the few loose ends that I'm looking to tie up:
I plan on using this as a media server and DVR. Won't game - don't care about 3D or any of that. So I'm inclined to run XBMC on top of Windows Home Server using a SSD for the OS and put the data on some external partitions.

Here are the things I'm looking for help on:
1) Video and audio quality is my #1 priority - still i've heard people saying that there is no reason to invest in a stand alone video or audio card. This doesn't sound right to me - any thoughts here? Keeping my overall budget in mind - what video card should I be looking at and what sort of audio component would be the best bet?
2) Keeping this thing as quiet as possible is perhaps my number 2 concern ... i'm thinking of a micro-atx case, but given that i care more about the performance than the appearance, will this prevent me from getting a super quiet machine? Of course, any specific system you prefer? I've seen all those guides pinned to the top - just don't say *i prefer xyz on any of them* As a note, I have a harmony one and have seen people suggest dongles - if possible, i'd like to find a case with the receiver built in and a volume dial on it as well.
3) I plan on using an anntanae for OTA/basic channels - seeing as I'd like to use my machine to record as well - I'm guessing my best bet is to run the antannae through the HTPC. All the stuff i found using google - most of it seems to be a few years old. Do you think it's a good idea to run the anntanae through my htpc? I've heard of interference problems which is why i ask.

Would love your feedback. I guess my only other note is that i'm not in a hurry - so if you know of any technology/equipment coming out in the next 2 to 3 months that is worth waiting for, I'd love to know.

Thanks peeps!
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
Anyone have feedback for me? I hope i didn't violate some code of ethics here on the board.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
no no your fine helpmonkey Tongue

just lemme read your stuff
1) what u heard is right, no need for a separate GPU in your situation.

2) since u want a htpc + server all under the same roof,
well, you'll need a beefy case...
a good one could be the SIlverstone GD04 or GD05.
if u want an internal receiver, its trickier....
not many cases have that unLess they come pre-installed
with some sort of LCD screen like the ANTEC MICROFUSION350 case.
however, u can buy that same LCD screen seperately
and install it in the Silverstone case's 5.25" drive bay.
and those screens work with harmony remotes as
thats what im doing as we speak.
check my G7 HTPC thread, link in my signature.

3) im no DVR user unfortunately,,,
but u may look on newegg.com for suggestions of cards
which can be used for that and fit in your case.
I have an Onkyo 605 and the NMediaPC 1000B (and related) are a perfect match in width and color for the Onkyo. There's also plenty of room in those cases.

For a tuner card, I have the Hauppage TV-2250 and like it. I am using it for Clear QAM tuning but it also support NTSC and ATSC. I also have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun network tuner which is great because if you have a network drop near your antenna you can cut down on coax runs and signal degradation.
you might like the nMediaPC 6000B too,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-11204037
Thanks for the tips guys - I'll look into those cases and see about getting them nice and quiet.

Dougie - I have heard of ClearQAM but no direct experience with it. I've purchased an antennae in the past - but that was for a different setup. The last time i purchased a haupagge was 1997!!!! ;-) So,I'm wanting the OTA channels to come in on the same input as my HTPC so that I can record those feeds. Considering that I live in a condo about 6 floors up - do you think i should be concerned about quality of the picture? I'm guessing what i'd do is purchase an anntanae and plug it into the haupaugge - so that said - in looking at the haupauge page, i can't see any reason to pay for the 2250 over one of the lesser models. Am I missing something?

Thanks guys, I apologize for the noobish questions - i just don't have all the time in the world to do all the reading myself :-(
The Mi7 (full specs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building New HTPC Questions0