Win First time HTPC builder.
Ok so after doing some reading and trying to understand everything I think I have the parts marked out for my first htpc build.

So before I list my parts should probably say what it is I am after from my htpc, I want it to play 1080p movies with full HD audio (DTS-HD) be able to stream online content, I would like the ability to play some games on it also.

For these reasons it seemed to be that putting win7 on it might be my best option.

So down to my hardware, here is what I think will serve me well within my budget (which isnt much!)

AMD Llano A6 A3500 2.1GHz Socket FM1 3MB L2 Cache

Asrock A75M-HVS AMD A75 Socket FM1 5.1 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Compucase Mini ITX Case - With 120W PSU and Front panel USB2.0 HD Audio

Those the the components I wish to purchase below are the components I already own.

Corsair NOVA 60 GB SATA II SSD

8GB GSKILL Sniper DDR3 RAM

Western Digital 2TB Green HDD

The idea is I use this machine in my entertainment unit and can be used to download and or steam and then use XBMC to watch.

The cost of the components for me to purchase are around £150 and is roughly what I can afford.

There is also an IR receiver thats needs to be purchased so I can use my Harmony 900 to control XBMC.

Any input ideas criticism or just advice much appreciated.

i would change your ram.
yeah it looks cool and stuff but,
heatsink too high.

the day u'll want to change the CPU cooler,
you'll run into problems..
I used to have the miniITX Compucase (8K01) but ditched it due to a very noisy PSU fan and very bright HDD and Power LED's, I would consider a PicoPSU if I were you and disconnect the LED's or solder in a couple of resisters.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Thanks for the replies, things have changed a little in that I have now traded for some items so am hoping that this will work.

AMD Llano A4-3400 2.70GHz

Asrock motherboard FM1 A75M-ITX mini-ITX

I also have a shuttle case with the front panel connectors resoldered so it will connect to this board.

I believe this wont run into problem with the heatsink height and the psu in it is a 200w and reasonably quiet.

My only concern is the AMD Llano A4-3400 2.70GHz , will this still be fine for HD audio thru the hdmi ?
Also the ram, it literally is just what I have here , I could sell it or swop it and i dont care much for the looks of it. But if it fits is there any point to this ?

Thanks again for the help.

What CPU cooler might you reccomend, that would fit into a shuttle case ?

I should also add its the XPC case which could fit a full sized GFX card tho i dont want to use one but think this is better all round for me and it hasnt cost me anything but trading some old parts I had.

get the AMD Llano A6 A3500

you'll need to search as i dont know everything Tongue
like which cooler?
google shuttle coolers lol
Thanks again for the advice, the issue I have is that i actually now own the a4 3400 Llano and unless it wont work it would be quiet an issue and problem to change it now.

well then, keep it. its ok. it'll still work.
yeah well, 1st build makers always tend to cheap out on parts..
then once they use their systems,
after awhile, they realize more these noise annoyances and stuff.
so most of the time,
if it was to re-do,
they would do differently..

me the 1st Tongue
(2012-04-17, 04:55)eskro Wrote: yeah well, 1st build makers always tend to cheap out on parts..
so most of the time,
if it was to re-do,

me the 1st Tongue

Me the second.... but both of my systems are sound proof.....

My second build I knew what I wanted and accomplished!
(2012-04-17, 05:16)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-04-17, 04:55)eskro Wrote: yeah well, 1st build makers always tend to cheap out on parts..
so most of the time,
if it was to re-do,

me the 1st Tongue

Me the second.... but both of my systems are sound proof.....

My second build I knew what I wanted and accomplished!

we've all been there haven't we Tongue
Sadly I have a budget and it doesnt stretch to the expensive cases. But you did change my mind on the compucase case , and I did get a shuttle case, but the a4 3400 was something I traded old parts for. I appreciate the comments and advice but it was either this or wait until i can sell my old parts then try and scrape togehter enough.
its all good corban, it'll work great

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First time HTPC builder.1