Apple TV 1 -160GB vs 2??
Thanks, I had seen that forum before. I have posted on there, hopefully I can sort out my wireless issues!
Managed to get Wireless to work after alot of trial and error. Basically you cant use WEP so I had to change my router to WPA which is fine...

Now on to Sabnzbd and Sickbeard!!
(2012-05-03, 10:48)dannyd4315 Wrote: Managed to get Wireless to work after alot of trial and error. Basically you cant use WEP so I had to change my router to WPA which is fine...

Now on to Sabnzbd and Sickbeard!!

Good Stuff... Smile

1st, set yourself a static IP, so that any shortcuts that you setup from your other machines remain valid.
(otherwise DHCP will change your IP, every now and then.)

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=22

Then setup your root account (as above)
Now you can access your ATV, via SSH and WinSCP with root.

You could if you want, install WebMin

http://www.webmin.com/

It's a webgui that pretty much gives you total control over your ATV.
It will simplify setting up shares (smb or nfs),
as well as cron jobs, User accounts, etc.
It's not necessary, and it maybe overkill, but it will reduce the amount of file editing required to set some things up.

Then continue on with Sab and SB.

Thanks! I had already sorted the static IP and root account with WINSCP last night when I was trying to sort out the wireless.

Will have a look at webmin later for setting up shares. Looking to use the internal hard drive and an external NAS which hopefully should be pretty easy to set up.

One quick question, I take it the folder named media on ATV (In winscp) is where I should be putting all my existing stuff? It does not have anything in at the mo. I thought I read somewhere it should be media/internal/TV Shows/
(2012-05-03, 17:31)dannyd4315 Wrote: Thanks! I had already sorted the static IP and root account with WINSCP last night when I was trying to sort out the wireless.

Will have a look at webmin later for setting up shares. Looking to use the internal hard drive and an external NAS which hopefully should be pretty easy to set up.

One quick question, I take it the folder named media on ATV (In winscp) is where I should be putting all my existing stuff? It does not have anything in at the mo. I thought I read somewhere it should be media/internal/TV Shows/

You can, in fact create your media folders wherever you want.
(although media is as good as any, so I do in fact use that).

You just need to add them in your Photos,Music, and Video's sections in xbmc,
and browse to the relevant folder as you would in windows.

So I think I got everything set up, and it runs like a dream, extremely happy! However I do have a couple of small issues, dont know if you have come across these?

1. When I start sickbeard from SSH, it seems to shut its self down after a while and wont run in the background. I am not sure if my config.ini file is in the wrong place. At the moment it is in /etc/sickbeard/ Every time I want to use sickbeard I have to restart it via SSH.
2. I am having trouble getting SB and SAB to autostart on boot. I cant seem to do it, so everytime I reboot I have to restart them manually.

Have you come across these issues?

Cheers
(2012-05-08, 13:58)dannyd4315 Wrote: So I think I got everything set up, and it runs like a dream, extremely happy! However I do have a couple of small issues, dont know if you have come across these?

1. When I start sickbeard from SSH, it seems to shut its self down after a while and wont run in the background. I am not sure if my config.ini file is in the wrong place. At the moment it is in /etc/sickbeard/ Every time I want to use sickbeard I have to restart it via SSH.
2. I am having trouble getting SB and SAB to autostart on boot. I cant seem to do it, so everytime I reboot I have to restart them manually.

Have you come across these issues?

Cheers

I'm glad everything is working Smile

1. Start sickbeard from ssh, but not as a background daemon, you'll be able to tell if it's running or not,
because, either it'll be running or it will drop back to the prompt with an error.
My config.ini is located in sickbeards own directory,
(if you put sickbeard in /etc/sickbeard, then your config.ini seems to be in the right place).
In my case sickbeard is in /opt/sickbeard, so the config is located at /opt/sickbeard/config.ini.

2. Autostarting from boot is a trickier in linux than it is windows.

I'll explain with sab, you need to copy the file "init.ubuntu" (in the sabnzbd zip),
to /etc/init.d and rename it to sabnzbd (/etc/init.d/sabnzbd).
Linux will autostart anything in /etc/init.d/, but the execute flag must be set, otherwise it won't autostart.
Rightclick on the file (/etc/init.d/sabnzbd) in WinSCP and tick the Owners "X" flag.
You also need to update your rc.d file with the changes.

Code:
update-rc.d sabnzbd defaults

Next time you restart it should autorun,
You can toggle the "X" flag on and off, depending on whether you want it to autostart or not.

Before you restart, test the startup by using these commands.

Code:
/etc/init.d/sabnzbd start
and
Code:
/etc/init.d/sabnzbd stop

If they work, then the next time you reboot, sab should autostart.

Basically you need to repeat this with everything that you install manually, i.e sickbeard, couchpotato, etc...

On a side note, if you install webmin, you can control the autostarts, and manage the actual apps from the Webmin Gui (start and stop them).
Hey All,

I was google-whacking, and it brought me to this forum page. I'm liking what I'm seeing. I've got an ATV1, and I'm considering re-purposing it to to mainly do just the sickbeard and sabnzbd stuff, mainly to off load that from my home system.

I've been running the ATV1 for a few years now, I hacked it and put Boxee on it, and I also upgraded the hard drive to a 300GB drive. I'm currently moving some data off the ATV, before I start monkeying around with it. You guys seem to be masters at this, so what should I do first once I'm ready to start?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 1 -160GB vs 2??0