Win XBMC freezes on startup
Hi,
@jhsrennie
here is new log:
http://pastebin.com/ERYpRBjF
I set log level as you said, and used newest version of EXE file.
There is much more info in the log, but it ends at the same point as previous one.

You show line in your code, that suggest fault of the optical drive. Does turning of the BR drive should help for testing purposes?
Is it really optical drive? XBMC once run, on same setting, with drive enabled...

sorry for long reaction, but I had lot of work during the week.
It works!!

I unmounted virtual drive, and I think that was it.

Off course I don't know for sure, because in act of desperation I did couple of changes at once.
- unmounted deamon virtual drive,
- attached TV tuner on USB (it has remote controller, and log always and up on remote controller error)
- just open BR drive tray
- change setting of switchable graphics on intel's HD 3000
- run XBMC on admin rights.

after that XBMC runs without any problems. Of course I didn't know why, so I close the tray - it runs; then disconnect TV tuner - it runs; change graphics to Radeon - it runs.
so there left only two options, admin rights and that virtual drive. I've changed admin rights couple of time before, and it didn't help so I think its all about that deamon drive.
I'll check it after writing this post, because if it hangs I'll go to sleep as well as my laptop Big Grin
That couple of successful runs, give me hope that my favorite media center came back to me for good Big Grin

thanks for that code jhsrennie!
Interesting, thanks.

If anyone else is encountering the freeze on start can you check if you use any virtual CD/DVD software like Daemon Tools?
Hi again!

I can confirm for sure, that Deamon Tools was causing those lockups. In my case of course.

yesterday I ran XBMC without admin rights, and it crash... I was afraid that my whole theory was wrong Smile but I didn't have strength to test it till today.
I've tested it again today, and in couple tries XBMC crashed only once. All tested without admin rights. When I run XBMC with Admin Rights it always starts.
Then I turned virtual drive back on, and start XBMC... it runs, and I was astonished Smile
Then I've restarted computer, and after that (with virtual drive still turned on) I couldn't start XBMC again.
every crash ended with hard reset of laptop!
After turning off virtual drive and restart it works nice every time (3 times for now to be exact)

I hope that state will sustain Smile
I seem to be encountering this same set of circumstances, myself, to add to the list. I use virtual clone drive on my machine, Windows XP, like everyone else, and am also having the same immediate crash after install, and my logs have been rather similar. Oddly though, disabling it hasn't yielded a result as of yet. Gonna give uninstalling it a shot here shortly and see if that helps, but I at least thought I would add my name to the growing list you've got.

edit: okay, so that didn't work. I even had a card reader drive built into my printer that I disabled, in the chance it might be part of it, but no such luck. Here is my log using the most recent xbmc.exe from the site

http://pastebin.com/0VT4rCX9
(2012-06-26, 11:14)Artemis-kun Wrote: I seem to be encountering this same set of circumstances, myself, to add to the list. I use virtual clone drive on my machine, Windows XP, like everyone else, and am also having the same immediate crash after install, and my logs have been rather similar. Oddly though, disabling it hasn't yielded a result as of yet. Gonna give uninstalling it a shot here shortly and see if that helps, but I at least thought I would add my name to the growing list you've got.

edit: okay, so that didn't work. I even had a card reader drive built into my printer that I disabled, in the chance it might be part of it, but no such luck. Here is my log using the most recent xbmc.exe from the site

http://pastebin.com/0VT4rCX9

Your crash does not involve the CD/DVD drive, so it's unlikely that the virtual CD is playing any part in the problem. It looks as if your XBMC is hanging at the point it tries to initialise the video hardware. If I compare my log (from the modified build) with your log I see:

Code:
18:06:51 T:3864   DEBUG: CWinSystemWin32::ResizeInternal - resizing due to size change (0,0,1680,1050 fullscreen)->(0,0,1680,1050 fullscreen)
18:06:51 T:3864   DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProcWindow is active
<your log stops here>
18:06:51 T:3864   DEBUG: CRenderSystemDX::InitRenderSystem - trying D3D9Ex...
18:06:51 T:3864   DEBUG: CRenderSystemDX::InitRenderSystem - using D3D9Ex
18:06:51 T:3864   DEBUG: CRenderSystemDX::CreateDevice on adapter 0

So I'd say it was related to the video drivers.
I was having a problem with xbmc hanging / freezing at the startup splash screen, couldn't end task or reboot, had to power-off manually. Turned off the real-time scanning of WIndows Defender. Reset the Windows FIrewall settings to allow full access to xbmx. Now it works. EDIT: Scratch that, problem started again today, and changing firewall/AV/Defender settings had no effect on the same install. 64BitWindows7
Hi again.
Unfortunately after week or so (since my last post) XBMC start to crash again. It was so annoying surprise for me! I've uninstalled XBMC and start to learn how to use Windows Media Center. WMC is unusable! So I've head back to XBMC and gave it a try once more.
It runs, only on fresh startup of windows - but not always. After sleep, or after hibernation it doesn't work at all.
it is wrong!
I HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH XMBC FREEZING ON STARTUP .. I THOUGHT MAYBE IT NEEDED NET FRAMES .. SO I DOWNLOAD IT..
AND IT WORKS FINE NOW !! ... LOVING IT !!
Lightbulb 
Hi to all! This is my first post so excuse my french. Smile

I also experienced crash during start up screen, and according to my log file it hangs at " ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect ", so I installed irss (IR Server Suite) and seems like the problem is gone after reboot.

Still no crash after 4 times, but seems like you have to wait at least for a week to confirm that the problem is gone for good. Smile

Link to download irss: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensio...suite-irss

Platform: Win 7 Home x64, Intel graphics, XBMC 11.0

oh, yes, my virtual drive is also disabled if that has any importance.
(2012-09-11, 17:10)rinma Wrote: Hi to all! This is my first post so excuse my french. Smile

I also experienced crash during start up screen, and according to my log file it hangs at " ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect ", so I installed irss (IR Server Suite) and seems like the problem is gone after reboot.

Still no crash after 4 times, but seems like you have to wait at least for a week to confirm that the problem is gone for good. Smile

BRAVO Rinma!! Your workaround worked like a charm! I have no idea why IR software would make it work, if you can shed some light on the subject and explain why it worked (for education purposes), it'll be GREAT!!! But what's important is that it worked! hopefully the Devs can take notice and put put a patch out for this issue. Cheers & Thank You!
(2012-09-21, 03:50)pmolson Wrote:
(2012-09-11, 17:10)rinma Wrote: Hi to all! This is my first post so excuse my french. Smile

BRAVO Rinma!! Your workaround worked like a charm! I have no idea why IR software would make it work, if you can shed some light on the subject and explain why it worked (for education purposes), it'll be GREAT!!! But what's important is that it worked! hopefully the Devs can take notice and put put a patch out for this issue. Cheers & Thank You!

Celebrated too early!!! After rebooting my machine I got the same issue: xmbc freezes at start-up and all I see is the xmbc logo. End task won't work and I have to hard shutt-down to get out of the freezing state!!! Do you have to configure IR to do something special or just install it on the machine, as mentioned in your post...Ive installed as an app and as a service and nothing helped? I have (Win7 64-bit)... Please help any one?

Update: I've right-clicked on the short cut => properties => click on Compatibility tab => Check "run this program in compatibility mode check and select Windows XP SP3, also check run as administrator at the bottom, click ok and now xbmc is running like a champ... for now, as I don't want to jinx it Wink

admin rights or not it only works on fresh boot. I've tried that compatibility and results are the same Sad

I think it also start after fresh boot after hibernation. It doesn't start after sleep mode.

When I want to watch something I need to reboot.
I think that bug is connected to switchable graphics or 64 bit win7, not the IR.
You're correct. I'm not sure if the xbmc dev team would even bother fixing this "bug" I would imagine there are a lot of users of win7 64-bit out there. I also have it installed on a 32-bit Win7 and it worked w/o a glitch right off the bat!!! so it must be a 64-bit issue.
Update: Just thought I'd give a quick update on this...Not sure exactly what I've done to make it work, but It's working like a charm right now! I can launch xbmc any time and it's works fine (not freezing at all). I remember running ccleaner (reg cleaner) and after that xbmc started working fine! It may have fixed something in the registry!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC freezes on startup1