My HTPC Build
Here is my HTPC build along with some of the reasons for my choices and what I paid. I really enjoyed building this, it took a little research on sites like this one and others. I have been quite satisfied with build and would choose these parts again. I need to upgrade the memory, I will be adding another 8 gigs to this. It's not an expensive upgrade and I have had some errors in the event log around not having enough memory (I set a static limit on the page file size of 2 GB's). I will also be upgrading the CPU cooler to try and make the PC quieter. This case has smaller fans in the back that also contribute to the noise. I knew that going into this (silent pc reviewed a similar SilverStone case). If you are in the room with everything quite you can hear the PC, if I can get it to be half as loud it will be perfect. I could probably improve the sound by turning the fan speeds down further without risking damage.

Reason for choices
I chose Windows because that's what I know. I work in IT at the enterprise level as a storage admin, I work on and with a number of different operating systems but I just know Windows the best. My first computer was an IBM PC Jr. with DOS 1.1 loaded from a 5.25 floppy. I have been doing Windows so long it was a pretty easy decision. The only thing I regret was not purchasing professional. I did not know that home premium does not allow for remote desktop to be enabled. I use RDP to manage the machine when someone else is using the television.

I chose the i3 processor over the G620 because this machine will be used to do encoding, I wanted the extra performance to speed that along. This processor also has an extension built into it for faster encoding with the right software. In addition the mother board comes with a Virtu license in case I add a discrete GPU that will allow me to continue to use the built in GPU for video encoding.

The case was the hardest decision to make, I really don't like to be able to see the drives on the front of the case. I really prefer the smooth front. I also didn't want all the components crammed inside (hence an ATX case with a mATX main board). I like the aesthetics of the case and my brothers have both complemented me on the choice. The case was well engineered, the drive cages came in and out without issue, the drive bays in the front lined up nicely.

Intel i3-2125 $128.73
Silverstone LCE-13E $89.99
Microsoft 64 bit Win 7 OEM $89.99
Power supply OCZ ModXStream $75.09
SSD 60 gb SATA III $90.00
Crucial 2 @ 2GB DIMM $26.61
Asrock Main Board Z68 Pro3-M $57.30
Case Rebate $(10.00)
SSD Rebate $(15.00)
PS Rebate $(25.00)

Total Cost ~$508

There was a recommendation that removing these internal guards will help reduce noise. They also seemed slightly redundant so off they came.

I didn't include this in my parts list, it's a generic SATA drive that I paid ~$15 for at Micro Center.

Generic card reader, ~$8 (totally worth every penny)

No part of the drive is in direct contact with the drive cage.

I have no idea if this made a bit of difference, but this seems to be a standard procedure for making a PC silent.

I cut two of these up and ran all the screws for the drive through the holes.

To clean up the mess of cables for the front of the case I stuck them all in a piece of heat shrink. It's not terribly flexible but it did the job.

I didn't buy an adapter for the SSD drive so it's just laying on the bottom of one of the drive cages. It is sitting on a square of the gasket material from earlier. This was partly an oversight on my part as I didn't think about the form factor of the SSD drive when ordering parts. The computer moved twice and will probably only move one more time if the wife and I can find an entertainment center that we both like so there is little risk.

It's been a long time since I built a new PC, I must have been really enamored at the power supply because I took a ton of pictures of it. I do like the webbing on the cables, makes for a much cleaner case.

One item that I reused for this build was a 1.5 TB Seagate drive that already had my media on it. To keep the drives vibrations to a minimum in this almost all steel case I used this to isolate the drive from the cage. This is gasket material that's a mixture of cork and rubber. It's from a kit that I bought from Ace Hardware for my lawn mower.

I like the extra space of the ATX case and mATX main board.

All buttoned up and moved to my office for the Windows install

Coffee, build was done early on a Saturday. The Tardis moves from one side of the cup to the other with heat, a necessity when getting your geek on!

I chose to put the fan for the power supply on the inside of the case because it's a 135mm fan and it's bigger than the side vent. Wasn't certain if this was the right thing to do but it seems to be working fine. The power supply is quiet, the fan turns nice and slow.

The current location, looking forward to the day that we have a piece of furniture that everything fits on and I can get the wires for the TV hidden.

I actually built this about two months ago, since then I bought this small keyboard from Amazon. It works great, and takes up a lot less room then the full size keyboard and mouse we first started with.

Congrat.....Great job.....and thank you for sharing it with us.

How is full 1080P blu-ray and bitstreaming HD audio on HD3000 iGPU?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I can only partially answer your question. I had a Harman Kardon AVR2600 receiver that this was running through for about two weeks. It however broke the beginning of March, it quit displaying a picture. The initial repair part went great but there were some problems shipping it back. It was lost for two weeks when it was shipped back and one of the HDMI input ports was damaged during shipping. I've been without it for over a month. In the mean time the HTPC has been connected directly to the TV. xmbc has problems with some of my content and selecting the proper audio device. In that case I have been using VLC to play those files. I have had zero issues with video, everything renders just fine. The short time that I did have this connected to the HK it sounded great (that receiver sounds fantastic).

As I understand the 1080p playback issue with the integrated Intel GPU you see a blip in the video every 19 seconds (is that correct)? I have never experienced anything like that, everything renders great. I knew about that going into the build, I made my choices knowing that I may have to add a video card and so far have not seen a need.
Thanks for sharing. I almost bought that case for my build. I went with the GD05B I wanted the extra drive bays
@thepunisher-

I have i5 with HD2000, and it is connected directly to monitor. XBMC can playback 1080P and audio fine. You can simply set XBMC audio output to "WASAPI: Speakers (realtek high definition audio)", and uncheck all receiver capable. For video, you can uncheck "User a fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen" in settings/system/video output and uncheck everything in settings/videos/playback. Intel Sandy Bridge core is strong enough that it doesn't need help from DXVA2......
Jester - I had looked at the GD05B case as well as the GD06 and 07. I spent hours looking at cases, reading reviews and looking at other peoples builds. It was seriously the most time consuming of this build. It was worth the agonizing.

I wish I had seen that IOGEAR keyboard in your signature before I bought the one I have. Looks like a nice size and I have been happy with IOGEAR products in the past. The one that I have works fine and had a slight learning curve. It helps to know keyboard shortcuts, that speeds the use, otherwise the size slows you down. It doesn't have a dedicated Windows key like yours does. You have to hold a function button to get it to work.
Cool man thanx for the pics..... enjoy!
fantastic! thanks for those screenies!

man, i bought 2 rii mini keyboards and both have been bad enough to be refunded...

since then, UNisen IpazzPort Mini FTW!!
Sppiffy.

I also have that little keyboard and I just love it. I also have that exact case, which i love. Not that it really matters now, but I didn't use any fancy-pants foam on my HDDs and all i hear is my fans.. just a very slight hum which i only hear when i get close( i guess the fan controller helps, too). I also loosely zapstrapped a 120mm in the centre inside the front, since i was able to remove the middle drive cage. Taking those inside grills off is something i never thought of, though...

Nice job.
@argh-
If you're using AsRock mobo, you can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you can set both CPU and case fans to level 5.......it'll be very quiet!

@thepunisher-
If you want faster bootup, you can try AsRock Instant Boot ver:1.26.......
Nah i have a DFI board. .Honestly, I hadn't even considered enabling any underclocking features, since I'm so used to always turning them off. I just set my q9550 to 3.4ghz and leave it. Nice reminder - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My HTPC Build0