iOS XBMC -> Remote functionality
Just another idea. Might be worthless, but I'll suggest it for comment anyway.

Currently, the iOS version of XBMC allows us to run XMBC on an iOS device using our shared library. Awesome!

What about enabling a "Remote" function/button that would enable you to control your HTPC's XBMC from your iOS device? I know there are MANY remote apps out there, and many ways to remotely control your HTPC etc... but just hear me out.

My thinking was that there would be a button ("Enable Remote") on the main screen of XBMC on the iOS device (eg. iPad). When you press this button, xbmc will no longer play the videos locally on the iPad, but send commands to your XBMC installation on your HTPC (via xbmc's web server??). So now when you choose movies on your iPad, it moves to the Movies collection both on your iPad and HTPC (TV). Whatever you do on the iOS device, is transmitted to the HTPC, apart from actually playing movies locally. (ie. Moving from movies to tv shows, editing settings...)

This way you can control all of XBMC's functionality from your iPad/iphone etc... No need for extra apps.

The main reason I brought this up is because I currently use iRule and EventGhost to control everything and the one issue with using an iPad/flat screen as a remote control is you don't have physical buttons to feel around and press. Meaning you have to look at the ipad, press the button on the screen, then look at the tv to see what action occurred. With the above functionality, the ipad would have the same info as the tv, so you would only need to look u when watching a vid, or when your done with your playlist etc....

Anyway, there are cons and pros, and probably more work required on the Web server to accommodate swipes etc... so whether this is viable/feasible is debatable. One Con is that, from a universal remote perspective where we want one remote to control the world, this will only control XBMC...
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
Yes I would love a similar feature as well. In my case also for Android and Windows 7 :-)
This would mean I would have a full interface to navigate with but still play it on one centralised device. Doesn't sound that hard actually since it would mean that all the commands would be sent remotely which is already possible through the json interface.

I believe this would still be involved as one would need to be able to access each and every possible screen button/menu/option via a method call or something similar. Currently, when XBMC loads, you have to press down a few times to get to Settings before you can finally enter Settings. For good remote functionality you would need to map the Screen button on the iOS "Settings" to send a command to the HTPC's XBMC web server, which would then call the Settings screen. You wouldn't want to send a command to the http server which would then send a few DOWN keys, then an ENTER key. Smile
...DJVege...
(2012-04-19, 00:02)DJVege Wrote: You wouldn't want to send a command to the http server which would then send a few DOWN keys, then an ENTER key. Smile

Which would do different things on different skins too.

Quote:Doesn't sound that hard actually since it would mean that all the commands would be sent remotely which is already possible through the json interface.

But of course thats all only a tiny bit of work. Its done in 15 mins or so. *sigh*. Those statements about "can't be that hard" or "can't need that much time for implementing" allways let feature requests climb down the ladder and its the best way to get on the ignore list of us devs. Smile

Things which wheren't considered for this:

1. How is this really ment to work. (you can split up this point into at least 10 points, e.x. how to ensure that both xbmc setups are identically enough (addons, skin, both using sql database with same version, skin configuration (recently added and so on), both xbmc installations are able to access the files from the nas (ip filtering might do fancy stuff to this constellation if configured in a stupid way).).

Well i don't think the initial idea is worth a shot.

But a stripped down version which asks the user where to play the selected file when multiple xbmc instances are detected might be doable. But tbh i have the feeling that all this is better handled with the dedicated remote control apps like XBMC Commander.

just my 5 cents
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks Memphiz. I did consider all the above including all the difficulties, but thought I'd put the idea forward anyway. I was more looking from the perspective of "holy smoke that would be awesome". Smile

I confess I still haven't looked at the source for xbmc so I'm still in the "grey" regarding the inner workings which would probably help before I suggest crazy ideas.

Cheers for your points.
...DJVege...
DJVege - it wasn't ment for you, but for taoizt ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
is there really a need for this?
I own both an ipad and a htpc. Sometimes i use a remote app on the ipad to control the htpc and every now and then i even power up the htpc in the living room over wol and access its content over the xbmc app on the ipad when i'm in bed.

So i know how an ipad and a htpc can interact with eachother.
But i think the remote app is just perfect as a remote.
And the xbmc app is perfect for watching files, which are stored somewhere in the network.

Take a close look at xbmc commander or something. There's really nothing wrong with those apps.
I think it would be a waste of time for the devs to look into that, because the remote apps are really close perfect.

And no, i don't get paid by the devs of remote apps.
For me is this an important reason: "Meaning you have to look at the ipad, press the button on the screen, then look at the tv to see what action occurred."

I have now DuneControl running on my XBMC pc. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123648
So I have my TV and receiver extensions set to watch my stuff with the Dune. I use the very nice app Constellation to choose my movies etc. However I miss the rest from the beautiful Gui and options from XBMC.

So I would be very pleased to have what the OP is asking, but I can understand it's not easy to make it happen by the developers.
I believe Plex has this, though you will have to sacrifice the customisations of XBMC as your frontend if you want the functionality.

I just can't make myself move from XBMC to Plex for my main HTPC, so my setup is as follows:

Main HTPC in theatre room running XBMC (for at home viewing). iRule on the iPad to control.

Plex installed on my other PC, serving my media over wireless/internet to mobile devices.

I'd love for there to be an "ALL-IN-ONE" package deal for XBMC with a central DB, mobile device clients etc... (obviously limited to a certain number of skins and addons), but I doubt this would even make the top 100 on the priorities list. It would need another resource to do and maintain this, and unfortunately, I'm of no help, so...
...DJVege...
thx for your fair and wise assessment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iOS XBMC -> Remote functionality0