• 2(current)
Linux HOW-TO The Complete Linux N00bs' Guide To Installing ZSNES on XMBCbuntu
thank you for this guide, gonna give this a try. but do you think my Acer Aspire Revo is powerful enough to run ZSNES? it plays 1080p great but navigation around the gui isn't smooth.

anyone can recommend an upgrade to the Revo? something more powerful...thanks!
waiting on my xbox 360 windows controller to show up......couple dumb questions i want to make sure about

do you just dump all the rom files in the snes folder and not in their own individual folders inside the snes folder

also is leaving them zipped up fine or do the files need to be extracted

thanks for entertaining my noobness lol
WE ALL WE GOT
(2012-05-06, 15:45)popular.me Wrote: thank you for this guide, gonna give this a try. but do you think my Acer Aspire Revo is powerful enough to run ZSNES? it plays 1080p great but navigation around the gui isn't smooth.

Im using a very similar hardware to the Revo in my media centre: dual-core Atom, Nvidia ION etc and it works brilliantly for me so its worth a shot. Only one way to find out! Wink

(2012-05-08, 04:00)bigdog66 Wrote: do you just dump all the rom files in the snes folder and not in their own individual folders inside the snes folder

also is leaving them zipped up fine or do the files need to be extracted

Yep just copy them straight into the SNES folder. And no, you dont need to extract them if they are ZIP. Only if they are something like RAR or 7z.
Media Centre: Atom Dual-Core - Nvidia ION - 4GB RAM - 250GB HDD - Blu-Ray - XBMCbuntu 11.0 - ReFocus
Server: FreeNAS 8 - 8x 1TB Seagate Baracuda RAID-Z - SABnzbd - SickBeard - CouchPotato
Great....Thanks!

Now I just need Amazon to do their job and get me my controller lol

are you working on any guides for any other rom's?
WE ALL WE GOT
(2012-05-08, 06:00)bigdog66 Wrote: are you working on any guides for any other rom's?

Planning to. Havn't had a lot of spare time recently, real-life keeps getting in the way but I'm hoping to get Sega Genesis, Gameboy Advance and N64 up and running. When I do, I'll post some guides for those as well, maybe in the next few weeks. Let me know how you go and bump some rep my way if it all works smoothly. Cool
Media Centre: Atom Dual-Core - Nvidia ION - 4GB RAM - 250GB HDD - Blu-Ray - XBMCbuntu 11.0 - ReFocus
Server: FreeNAS 8 - 8x 1TB Seagate Baracuda RAID-Z - SABnzbd - SickBeard - CouchPotato
I am not all the way through but I wanted to let you know the guide has worked great and wanted to give your rep some love lol

cant thank you enough because until this guide i didn't think it was possible to run emulators on live/xbmcbuntu...

I am at the point of assigning art so its going to take me some time lol

Looking forward to any future guides cause now im all geeked to play my old games!
WE ALL WE GOT
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

Everyone take some very important advice.....

DO NOT try and add too many items at once....add them in batches

because you cant stop the process of adding them or if you do all that you have added will not be saved

in my case i got about 92%-93% of the way through which was about 700 items and it took prob 7-8 hours and my xbmc box freaked out and decided to do a refresh.....once i went back into advanced launcher none of the items i added were still added
WE ALL WE GOT
(2012-05-17, 02:14)bigdog66 Wrote: DO NOT try and add too many items at once....add them in batches

Good advice, thanks for the update. When I tested this I only used about 20 ROMs.
Great guide especially for a linux/xbmcbuntu noob like me, I have run into one issue with my setup. It seems as though my controller is still controlling XBMC under the emulator and some times its on a different menu (like videos) others it has apparently logged off of xbmc all together.
Great tut, but the Advanced Launcher does not do the job, i add games everything works and random i get script error and have to do everything again, same when i try to scan all games automatic, some games make the script fail, adding manualy 7-800 games is a no no, but adding like 5 games, and then reboot and try to start again i have script error and i must do everything again Sad
(2012-05-26, 11:36)SKIBBE Wrote: Great tut, but the Advanced Launcher does not do the job, i add games everything works and random i get script error and have to do everything again, same when i try to scan all games automatic, some games make the script fail, adding manualy 7-800 games is a no no, but adding like 5 games, and then reboot and try to start again i have script error and i must do everything again Sad

Perhaps you could be a little more descriptive with your error? Or post logs? I'm not quite sure exactly what your saying. You're getting a script error when adding games to Advanced Launcher, yeah? Are the files in a usable format? Eg: zip, smc or sfc NOT rar or 7z or anyting else?
(2012-05-26, 11:36)SKIBBE Wrote: Great tut, but the Advanced Launcher does not do the job, i add games everything works and random i get script error and have to do everything again, same when i try to scan all games automatic, some games make the script fail, adding manualy 7-800 games is a no no, but adding like 5 games, and then reboot and try to start again i have script error and i must do everything again Sad
I have just released the version 1.8.2 of Advanced Launcher. So now, when you will have a script error (or any kind of similar problem) during the scan, all the scanned items will be already saved. But it will not fix your script error problem. If you encounter again this kind a problem please post the xbmc.log file content (using for example pastebin service) on the Advanced Launcher dedicated thread : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724. It is possible that bugs still occur into Advanced Launcher, but if nobody are reporting them into the right place, I will not be able to fix them. Wink

(2012-05-22, 06:37)bulkymicrowav Wrote: I have run into one issue with my setup. It seems as though my controller is still controlling XBMC under the emulator

Hmm, not sure about this one. Doesnt do it for me. Do you use the same controller as a remote normally or are you using a seperate remote to control XBMC? What kind of remote/controller are you using? And have you made any changes to your XML files or LIRC settings previously?

(2012-05-27, 19:27)Angelscry Wrote: I have just released the version 1.8.2 of Advanced Launcher. So now, when you will have a script error (or any kind of similar problem) during the scan, all the scanned items will be already saved. But it will not fix your script error problem.

Thanks for the update Angelscry. Brilliant work with Advanced Laucher, by the way! Big Grin
I switched to Rom Browser... but it had some problem too, will try the new version, and do some cleanup among my roms before i do, and i will drop thumbnails/art to speed things up (also speeds up browsning)

or i will just make a shortcut to zsnes and browse from there Smile
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO The Complete Linux N00bs' Guide To Installing ZSNES on XMBCbuntu4