• 4(current)
Linux HOW-TO The Complete Linux N00bs' Guide To Installing ZSNES on XMBCbuntu
Actually, I am having one odd problem. After some period of playing games, my remote stops working. Completely - the "clear" button stops working as an exit from the emulator, AND when I return to XBMC using the escape key on the keyboard, the remote is STILL not working.

Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: I think I have resolved this by using a different method to exit emulators with the remote (ie, not the method on page 1, which seems to cause my system to lose the remote altogether after a period of time0.
Quote:2.3 Create a new File Launcher in Advanced Launcher
Selecting Advanced Launcher will give you the option of creating a "Standalone" or "File Launcher" type. We want "File Launcher".
You will then need to browse to the ZSNES install: Root Filesystem / usr / bin / zsnes
and the ROM files path: Home Folder / ROMs / SNES

there should be a part written into this section that explains how to access the Root Filesystem.
e.g. say to first go to the xbmc file manager, add source, browse, choose Root Filesystem.
if someone doesn't do that, when they go to browse for zsnes install, the root won't be there to browse to. this got me caught up for a few minutes until i realized i had to do that first. (unless there's another way to get to the root filesystem without doing that?)

otherwise, flawless tutorial... thanks
(2012-10-12, 21:47)wookietv Wrote: if someone doesn't do that, when they go to browse for zsnes install, the root won't be there to browse to. this got me caught up for a few minutes until i realized i had to do that first. (unless there's another way to get to the root filesystem without doing that?)
Last Advanced Launcher version (1.9.1) has an additional option to manage/add sources directly :

XBMCBuntu 11.0
XBMC XVDA PVR 12.0 Frodo
XBMC Audio settings - I use SPDIF, 5.1

I can't get sound to work in any of my emulators when I launch them in XBMC. If I log out and log into the xbmcbuntu desktop sound will work. I do have sound working great inside XBMC, menu sounds and full audio. Can anyone here take a look at my info below and provide me with some suggestions as to how to get sound working? I would be happy to try anything at this point. Also, my arguments for launching the emulators point to alsa, such as; -ad alsa for ZSNES.

aplay -l
Quote:$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1

aplay -L
Quote:Quote:
aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
dmixer
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=SB,DEV=1
dsnoop:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=SB,DEV=1
hw:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=SB,DEV=1
plughw:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=SB,DEV=1
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0

.asoundrc
Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
rate 48000
}
}

I have the exact same problem as above.

Sound is working perfectly in Desktop mode. In XBMC the sound is also working but Zsnes in XBMC isn't working as it should be.
Hi there.

This is not working for me either. I've audio over a GT430, which works fine on movies and stuff, but not zsnes. I have sdl in both zsnesl.cfg and RCB arguments.

I admit, I've a minimal Ubuntu install, which doesn't run a full DE, so launching these commands outside of XBMC is a little tricky, but I'll look in to that.

Lastly, I'm not able to select a custom Audio Output, I'm unsure how much of a difference this will make.

Any hints would be appreciated.
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
I got mine working with frodo by following the instructions in the original post exactly, but i had audio ok in xbmc, audio in zsnes when it was ran from the desktop but not from running it via advanced launcher.

i solved this by changing my audio output device to HDA Nvidia, HDMI1 in the system settings of xbmc.

Everything else seems to work ok inc movie audio and music(mp3)

Hope that helps

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
That didn't help me, I'd already followed those guides. I had started a separate thread (before I'd found this one), and have sound working.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1260831

To get audio working in XBMC I did need to change the audio output device to HDA Nvidia, HDMI0, so thanks for that tip Smile
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Sorry but i have used xbmp since about 2001 and i have to say, great work teaching the masses! I have never looked into the basics before now. Informative post, thank you!! sorry for the relevance...
So one additional piece of advice for those using XBMCbuntu 12 (with Frodo). This took me ages to figure out why I would just get a blank screen when launching zsnes using the latest Advanced Launcher (which you have to pick up from Google Code instead of the repo by the way). You can't use wmctrl any longer to move the window to a new desktop but you can use xdotool to unmap and remap the window to your X desktop instead which works beautifully. This is my script to launch zsnes:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Hide and suspend XBMC
xdotool search --name "XBMC Media Center" windowunmap
sleep 0.5
killall -STOP xbmc.bin

# turn off screen blanking and dpms
xset s off
xset -dpms

# start application
/usr/bin/zsnes -m -s -v 7 "$1" &>> ~/emulators/zsnes.log

# turn on screen blanking and dpms
xset +dpms
xset s on

# restore screen resolution
xrandr -s 640x480
xrandr -s 1920x1080

# restore and show XBMC
killall -CONT xbmc.bin
xdotool search --name "XBMC Media Center" windowmap
(2013-01-06, 02:23)sblackst Wrote: So one additional piece of advice for those using XBMCbuntu 12 (with Frodo). This took me ages to figure out why I would just get a blank screen when launching zsnes using the latest Advanced Launcher (which you have to pick up from Google Code instead of the repo by the way). You can't use wmctrl any longer to move the window to a new desktop but you can use xdotool to unmap and remap the window to your X desktop instead which works beautifully. This is my script to launch zsnes:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Hide and suspend XBMC
xdotool search --name "XBMC Media Center" windowunmap
sleep 0.5
killall -STOP xbmc.bin

# turn off screen blanking and dpms
xset s off
xset -dpms

# start application
/usr/bin/zsnes -m -s -v 7 "$1" &>> ~/emulators/zsnes.log

# turn on screen blanking and dpms
xset +dpms
xset s on

# restore screen resolution
xrandr -s 640x480
xrandr -s 1920x1080

# restore and show XBMC
killall -CONT xbmc.bin
Thanks for the xdotools tips. Do you know why wmctrl do not work under XBMCbuntu 12 ?
Yes, it's something to do with the new window manager they use in Quantal not being EWMH/NetWM compatible. More on this here: http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236

You get this message when you try and manipulate windows:
Cannot get client list properties.
(_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)
Hi All,
Originally I had no sound in xbmcbuntu only XBMC but after following the guide I managed to now have sound in ZSNES within xbmcbunutu. When I launch it however from within XBMC I keep getting no sound (same as below)

(2012-11-15, 02:59)beschmid Wrote: XBMCBuntu 11.0
XBMC XVDA PVR 12.0 Frodo
XBMC Audio settings - I use SPDIF, 5.1

I can't get sound to work in any of my emulators when I launch them in XBMC. If I log out and log into the xbmcbuntu desktop sound will work. I do have sound working great inside XBMC, menu sounds and full audio. Can anyone here take a look at my info below and provide me with some suggestions as to how to get sound working? I would be happy to try anything at this point. Also, my arguments for launching the emulators point to alsa, such as; -ad alsa for ZSNES.

I've been trying for some time now, still with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Hello, excellent guide and tips in replies. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get zsnes working completely yet.

I'm using XBMCbuntu 12. I followed the guide and when launching ZSNES through Advanced Launcher I only got a black screen and the "CLEAR" button to exit ZSNES did nothing.

So I tried using the script that sblackst posted. ZSNES launches but doesn't get displayed, I just see a frozen (-STOP I suppose) XBMC. When I use the "CLEAR" button to close ZSNES it works correctly, closes ZSNES, and I'm able to control XBMC again. It seems the xdotool commands don't work.

For example:
returns:
Error: Can't open display: (null)
Segmentation Fault

Running with sudo returns the same without the segfault.

Any ideas what my problem might be?
Should I just use XBMCbuntu 11 instead to avoid the wmctrl problem?
Please let me know if I need to include more info.

Actually I've reread the post above mine and it seems I'm having the same problem.

EDIT:
I haven't made any changes and tried launching ZSNES again and this time it worked and the ZSNES came up and I was able to play the game, but when I used the "CLEAR" button to exit it closed ZSNES and the screen went to standby.
I'm a Linux amatuer, so I don't know, but could this be because my "CLEAR" button runs the shutdown.sh script from the guide which does not include an xdotool windowmap command to restore XBMC?

EDIT2:
After reboot Advanced Launcher no longer shows the "SNES" launcher I had configured. Again, I'm no Linux expert, but this all seems very broken to me. Tomorrow I will start over with minimal Ubuntu install, I believe that will be much less headaches.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO The Complete Linux N00bs' Guide To Installing ZSNES on XMBCbuntu4