• 5(current)
Linux HOW-TO The Complete Linux N00bs' Guide To Installing ZSNES on XMBCbuntu
(2013-03-08, 00:26)Wes Richards Wrote: After reboot Advanced Launcher no longer shows the "SNES" launcher I had configured. Again, I'm no Linux expert, but this all seems very broken to me. Tomorrow I will start over with minimal Ubuntu install, I believe that will be much less headaches.
Your launchers.xml file have may be corrupted. To fix this, you can load and restore an old recent launchers.xml file. Go into Advanced Launcher settings, then into Backup/debug menu and select "Load a backup launchers.xml file". Here you will have a list of file under this form : YYYMMDD-HHMMSS-MILLISEC-launchers.xml. Select the one before your SNES launcher has disapeared to restore it.
A quick note for anyone having trouble with sblackst's launch script: xdotool is not installed by default on xbmcbuntu 12.

Code:
sudo apt-get install xdotool

May seem obvious, but it did the trick for me.
(2013-01-06, 02:23)sblackst Wrote: So one additional piece of advice for those using XBMCbuntu 12 (with Frodo). This took me ages to figure out why I would just get a blank screen when launching zsnes using the latest Advanced Launcher (which you have to pick up from Google Code instead of the repo by the way). You can't use wmctrl any longer to move the window to a new desktop but you can use xdotool to unmap and remap the window to your X desktop instead which works beautifully. This is my script to launch zsnes:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Hide and suspend XBMC
xdotool search --name "XBMC Media Center" windowunmap
sleep 0.5
killall -STOP xbmc.bin

# turn off screen blanking and dpms
xset s off
xset -dpms

# start application
/usr/bin/zsnes -m -s -v 7 "$1" &>> ~/emulators/zsnes.log

# turn on screen blanking and dpms
xset +dpms
xset s on

# restore screen resolution
xrandr -s 640x480
xrandr -s 1920x1080

# restore and show XBMC
killall -CONT xbmc.bin
xdotool search --name "XBMC Media Center" windowmap

I will have to give this a try after work tonight. I would imagine this script could be modified to work with other emulators/games?
Sorry for late follow up. I eventually fixed my problems. I didn't investigate Advanced Launcher settings as much as I should have. I was able to get everything working fine by launching zsnes through Advanced Launcher without the sblackst's script. In Advanced Launcher I selected to set XBMC to windowed. I also removed remote config files for my stupid XBOX 360 wireless remotes so they wouldn't continue to mess with XBMC while zsnes was running. I also had to use "-ad sdl" for sound and use the fix for the random black screens from the OP. This was all working perfect.

Then I tried to check out an n64 emulator and was having a hard time getting it to run at any playable speeds. I'm AMD/ATI motherboard and I decided to check if some different drivers would work better. Being the linux amatuer that I am, this quickly broke my HTPC. Smile Now I'm starting to rebuild starting with a minimal ubuntu install.

Anyway, the guide works perfect.
Hmm I finally got this working with sound on Frodo on Ubuntu 11.10.

Problem is I have to switch the sound output get sound in the emulators and then switch it back to get sound from movies/tv shows through XBMC. Kind of annoying. There has to be a way to work around this/fix it.

I think part of the problem is I am using my onboard AMD HD3300 graphics for HDMI audio and video. The next step would be to just go though the 3.5 aux out from PC to my soundbar. Kind of annoying but would probably work better.

edit: this might help me figure it out later:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...Output_GUI
I am running "XBMC 12.1 Frodo" on "Ubuntu 12.10" 64 bit, using "Advanced Launcher 1.13.1". Everytime i try to select ZSNES from the "Files Launcher(ROM launcher)" navigating to /usr/bin/zsnes it just jumps automatically back to the root folder when I select zsnes from this directory and nothing happens. Not even an error message. This happens everytime I try to select ZSNES or any other program for that matter using the Advanced Launcher, so did it with XBMC 11 and Advanced Launcher 1.7.6, XBMC 12.1 and Advanced Launcher 1.7.6, and it still happens after I updated Advanced Launcher to 1.13.1 now running Frodo(12.1). Anyone else having the same bug, and anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me mad. Can it be something releated to sudo rights, the fact that I am running a 64 bit version of the OS, I just don't see any logical explanation for this Sad
CAN HELP ME? MY PROBLEM AND TITLE BAR OPENBOX SEE PHOTO / VIDEO
http://i41.tinypic.com/v3zog3.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/5yfd3k.jpg

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=91f9ch&s=5

MY SCRIPTS FOR WINEHD:
# / bin / bash
openbox &
cd / home / omega / .wine / dosdevices / c :/ Program \ Files \ / EA \ GAMES \ / Need \ for \ Speed ​​\ Underground \ 2
speed2.exe wine-opengl

MY SCRIPTS FOR ZSNES
# / bin / bash
openbox &
/USR/BIN/ZSNES

Is there a way to fix THIS to delete the titlebar ?

I USE XBMCBUNTU 12 Frodo THANKS
(2013-05-06, 13:23)trust134 Wrote: CAN HELP ME? MY PROBLEM AND TITLE BAR OPENBOX SEE PHOTO / VIDEO
http://i41.tinypic.com/v3zog3.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/5yfd3k.jpg

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=91f9ch&s=5

MY SCRIPTS FOR WINEHD:
# / bin / bash
openbox &
cd / home / omega / .wine / dosdevices / c :/ Program \ Files \ / EA \ GAMES \ / Need \ for \ Speed ​​\ Underground \ 2
speed2.exe wine-opengl

MY SCRIPTS FOR ZSNES
# / bin / bash
openbox &
/USR/BIN/ZSNES

Is there a way to fix THIS to delete the titlebar ?

I USE XBMCBUNTU 12 Frodo THANKS

I would imagine it has something to do with launching openbox and not NOT launching ZSNES with any commands.
BrooksyX hello thanks for the reply, I created a script without openbox start ZSNES and it freezes in the upper left, my question is: is there a way to start an application on?
my problem is solved for all wineHD GAMEPC dolfhin snes ps1 ps2 nintendo64 emulator etc ... fullscrin no titlebar xd ^ _ ^ thanks to all thanks XBMC FOR SOFTWARE
Hi trust134,

(2013-05-14, 06:46)trust134 Wrote: my problem is solved for all wineHD GAMEPC dolfhin snes ps1 ps2 nintendo64 emulator etc ... fullscrin no titlebar xd ^ _ ^ thanks to all thanks XBMC FOR SOFTWARE

Could you please let us know how you solved your problem? It would be very useful for many of us. Thanks a lot in advance.
(2013-08-14, 14:24)trace_on Wrote: Hi trust134,

(2013-05-14, 06:46)trust134 Wrote: my problem is solved for all wineHD GAMEPC dolfhin snes ps1 ps2 nintendo64 emulator etc ... fullscrin no titlebar xd ^ _ ^ thanks to all thanks XBMC FOR SOFTWARE

Could you please let us know how you solved your problem? It would be very useful for many of us. Thanks a lot in advance.

I gave up on ZSNES and decided to use the latest build of mednafen. It works great and supports multiple emulators. As for snes it uses the BSNES core which is more accurate for emulation anyways.
Help needed here.

Every singel time I scrape my thumbs and fan art to the "ART" folder, located at "home/user/ROMs/SNES/ART" "(just as described in the toturial), the fan art never gets stored on the HDD. I have gone through the process of scarping in the covers 10 times now, even using different sources for gathering the arts and thumbs(AllGame + TheGamesDB etc). When I am doing the scraping I can select all the covers I like for all the games, but when the process is done, and I exit XBMC to check the ART folder, the folder is always empty, and logically there are no covers shown once I log back into XBMC to view the covers.

I run XBMC 11 Eden, on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

This driving me mad as I cannot se any logical explanation for this, and I have done this before without any problems at all.

UPDATE: Updated XBMC to Frodo, same result Sad

UPDATE: Problem solved. Updated Advanced Launcher, that did the trick Wink
Hi all,

(For context, this is all being done on an xbmcubuntu 12.2 (Quantal) install.)

I tried following this guide and have installed zsnes, advanced launcher and all that good stuff. However, when I run Zsnes, it works fine up until I change my resolution. If I set is as anything that involves OpenGL, Zsnes hard locks and I need to kill the application from terminal. I can change the settings back using nano and set it as something non-OpenGL but I was after the 1080p.

I have been following every guide I can on the internet but can't find a definitive reason why this is not working.

I have an Nvida GT610 2GB video card with the latest Nvidia-Current drivers installed.

I have also tried installing Zsnes from source, but when I use the make command I get an error which I have uploaded here http://pastebin.com/uBs3tLXt

Fingers crossed someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
(2013-09-28, 05:38)staticn0de Wrote: Hi all,

(For context, this is all being done on an xbmcubuntu 12.2 (Quantal) install.)

I tried following this guide and have installed zsnes, advanced launcher and all that good stuff. However, when I run Zsnes, it works fine up until I change my resolution. If I set is as anything that involves OpenGL, Zsnes hard locks and I need to kill the application from terminal. I can change the settings back using nano and set it as something non-OpenGL but I was after the 1080p.

I have been following every guide I can on the internet but can't find a definitive reason why this is not working.

I have an Nvida GT610 2GB video card with the latest Nvidia-Current drivers installed.

I have also tried installing Zsnes from source, but when I use the make command I get an error which I have uploaded here http://pastebin.com/uBs3tLXt

Fingers crossed someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
How do you start ZSNES from Advanced Launcher? Are you using exactly this following arguments?

Code:
-m -s -v 22 %rom%

Or do you have modified it to use a resolution that is supported by your graphical card and your screen?

Code:
;  ----
; -- Video --
;  ----

; Video Mode [0..22]
;   0 = 256x224      R WIN     1 = 256x224      R FULL
;   2 = 512x448     DR WIN     3 = 512x448     DR FULL
;   4 = 640x480     DR FULL
;   5 = 256x224    O R WIN     6 = 512x448    ODR WIN
;   7 = 640x480    ODS FULL    8 = 640x480    ODS WIN
;   9 = 640x560    ODR WIN    10 = 768x672    ODR WIN
;  11 = 800x600    ODS FULL   12 = 800x600    ODS WIN
;  13 = 896x784    ODR WIN    14 = 1024x768   ODS FULL
;  15 = 1024x768   ODS WIN    16 = 1024x896   ODR WIN
;  17 = 1280x960   ODS FULL   18 = 1280x1024  ODS FULL
;  19 = 1600x1200  ODS FULL   20 = VARIABLE   ODR WIN
;  21 = VARIABLE   ODS WIN    22 = CUSTOM     OD  FULL
; You need to select the custom video mode and modify CustomResX/Y to properly
; use custom res support.
cvidmode=2
; Last windowed & fullscreen modes (used when alt-tabbing)
PrevWinMode=2
PrevFSMode=3

; Custom Resolution X and Y for Custom Video Modes [256x224..2048x1536]
CustomResX=640
CustomResY=480

Custom video mode of ZSNES is defined by the -v 22 argument. If you are using it the screen resolution values, defined by CustomResX and CustomResY, must be compatible with your system. Also, if you want to use, for example the 1280x1024 fullscreen mode, the argument must be -v 18. You can also force the custom mode by modifying the cvidmode value (to 22).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO The Complete Linux N00bs' Guide To Installing ZSNES on XMBCbuntu4