Linux After installing "xbmc needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering"
So the XBMCbuntu live disk works just find, but when I install it I get the error message. I'm using ATI integrated graphics, HD 3200.

My xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Both glxinfo and fglrxinfo report: Error: unable to open display (null)

I should note that I checked the update box on the installer, and I noticed some libgl packages get updated, so does this mean I need to keep them from doing so, or do I need to configure something so that my GPU is compatible?
The error unable to open display looks suspiciously like Xorg isn't running. Are you in a graphical environment when you run those commands? You are running 'glxinfo' and not calling it with 'sudo', as you should be running it as the user which is logged into the GUI.

Where do you have the message 'xbmc needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering'? Is your ATI card definitely capable?

Jon
the ATI 3200 is fine.

do you actually have fglrx installed? whats the output of
Code:
dpkg -l | grep fglrx

you might have to initialise Xorg again:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo reboot
First off, thanks for the replies.

(2012-04-17, 06:21)jervine Wrote: The error unable to open display looks suspiciously like Xorg isn't running. Are you in a graphical environment when you run those commands? You are running 'glxinfo' and not calling it with 'sudo', as you should be running it as the user which is logged into the GUI.

Where do you have the message 'xbmc needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering'? Is your ATI card definitely capable?

Jon
glxinfo gives the same response with or without sudo.

The message comes right after it starts up. It's definitely a gui, it's a box in the middle of the screen. I can't do anything on the screen other than click a quit button on the message.

Also, the system works fine in live mode, it's only when I install it that I have problems.

(2012-04-17, 09:28)wsnipex Wrote: the ATI 3200 is fine.

do you actually have fglrx installed? whats the output of
Code:
dpkg -l | grep fglrx
ii fglrx-amdcccle-updates 2:8.911-0ubuntu0.1 Catalyst Control Center for the AMD graphics accelerators
ii fglrx-updates 2:8.911-0ubuntu0.1 Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators

Quote:you might have to initialise Xorg again:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo reboot
Tried this, still got the same message.
(2012-04-18, 05:43)tuluse Wrote: First off, thanks for the replies.

(2012-04-17, 06:21)jervine Wrote: The error unable to open display looks suspiciously like Xorg isn't running. Are you in a graphical environment when you run those commands? You are running 'glxinfo' and not calling it with 'sudo', as you should be running it as the user which is logged into the GUI.

Jon
glxinfo gives the same response with or without sudo.

The message comes right after it starts up. It's definitely a gui, it's a box in the middle of the screen. I can't do anything on the screen other than click a quit button on the message.

Also, the system works fine in live mode, it's only when I install it that I have problems.

Hmmmm, ok, so when you click 'Quit' are you returned to a desktop or to a text based console? You've been able to run glxinfo, so I would guess you have a console of some sort to work at - either in the GUI or via Ctrl+Alt+F1 for example? As this seems to be XBMCbuntu, are you fully up to date? 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' will verify this. Is the fglrx module loaded? lsmod | grep fglrx return any output? Also is the fglrx module preset, 'sudo modinfo fglrx' should help here.

I expect you're using the XBMCbuntu session which (from memory) goes straight to XBMC. You might want to log into the LXDE session which will give you a desktop to work at (you can always go back to XBMCbuntu once everything is fixed). Once in LXDE then the various glxinfo commands should work etc. etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
After installing "xbmc needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering"0