• 5(current)
Win XBMC crashes when XBOX-controller disconnects
(2012-04-27, 14:18)evil-B Wrote: I tried the build the latest SDL version but XBMC would not take it and I am not in the mood to investigate this matter.

We use 1.2.14 and latest is .15. Unfortunately only Linux got some joystick fixes Wink
http://www.libsdl.org/release/changes-1.2.html
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2012-04-27, 15:19)evil-B Wrote: if you can't play video probably that your installation is not up to date. Do you have a dll load error in the log ?

I'll have to look. I installed Eden about 2 weeks ago using the installer. Isn't that the most updated version?
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
Controller Crash Debug Log
http://pastebin.com/HjGzviLJ

Video Won't Play Debug Log
http://pastebin.com/MjvupSvP
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
ERROR: Win32DllLoader::Load: Failed to load C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\players\dvdplayer\avutil-51.dll with error 126:The specified module could not be found.

missing DLL when starting video.

As I said even the latest patched version doesn't solve the problem so I a little more explaining what you did would be welcome. Also specify which version you're talking about (latest or not).
Regarding the versions: I'm uncertain what version you are referring too. The only version I know that I have is Eden 11.0 (stable). Is that the version you're looking for? Or is there another version, like the version of the video player? If so, where can I check that version.

As for what I did: Opened XBMC navigated to the "movies" section and selected a movie. It waited for a while and then said it couldn't play it. I then tried to controller. I turned on the controller, played an emulator (F-Zero on Snes9x) shut down the emulator and XBMC was in focus. I pulled the battery on the controller and it crashed.

Let me know if you need more detail, sorry I don't have the video error verbatim (I'll check when I get home if you need the precise language).
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
regarding XBMC. I'm working with the latest version in the git repository. That would be the nightly builds for you, I'm sure they are available somewhere.
also please make sure you use the latest patched xbmc. this is quick and dirty work, I don't really keep track of what I did in the earlier versions.

I'm sure the video problem is xbmc version related.
I'll look into downloading that. I won't be able to test it until Sunday because I'm leaving town in a few hours. Unless someone else steps up to the plate.

I will be periodically checking in.
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
I downloaded the most recent nightly build. Video played fine but it still crashed with the remote.

Here's the debug log: http://pastebin.com/J4ymL3E8
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
Sorry I cut out for a while, had worky stuff the last couple of nights.

After updating to the latest nightly I was able to play videos but I'm still having crash issues with your new build. The problem seems to have become less predictable--it will always crash on controller disconnect but Windows seems to react differently each time. It might throw up a warning beforehand (in a window behind XBMC) and XBMC will only crash after I click on the windows warning window. On another occasion, I was able to disconnect the control and wait about 10 seconds before it froze. Overall, the behavior seems to have become less consistent.

Here's my debug log (this crash is the crash with the Windows warning window behind XBMC):
http://pastebin.com/M6dajE5y

Also, I wrote up a ticket on the issue here:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12964

I'm out of my league on the programming/SDL stuff, so please feel free to add any information you think I missed.
Last night I was able to use the latest patched version all evening on my HTPC with controller disconnections and all without any crash...
But again this bug is not systematic, sometimes I can't reproduce it on my dev PC, sometimes I can...

I am very close to ditching all this and use xpadder as the sole controller handler on my HTPC. The only patch needed then would be to remove the call to CJoystick::Reinitialize() to prevent the crash.
By the way, does anyone know what is this 'Peripherals' section in XBMC ? It is always greyed in my configuration and the documentation is... sparse to say the least.
(2012-04-28, 14:48)evil-B Wrote: I am very close to ditching all this and use xpadder as the sole controller handler on my HTPC. The only patch needed then would be to remove the call to CJoystick::Reinitialize() to prevent the crash.

I think I'm with you in ditching.

Correctly me if I'm wrong but what you're implying is that your first build should work fine as long as I don't use a controller to directly control XBMC, correctly? I do everything through EventGhost or Pinnacle Game Profiler, so that works fine for me. I'll try running the original build for a while and let you know if I see any more issues (I'd originally abandoned the build because it didn't play video, but updating to the nightlies has fixed that).

As for Peripherals, where do you see it and under what skin? I tried to find it under Nox and Confluence but wasn't able to find it. Maybe I disabled it somehow?
Yes you are correct. The first patched version only removes the call to Reinitialize() which crashes XBMC but also should detect newly plugged controllers.

I see 'Peripherals' under System->system->Input Devices.
I use the standard skin.
Ah thanks. Yeah, peripherals is grayed out on my install as well.

So far no problems running your original build. Thanks so much for your help!
I have yet to read the entire thread, but I'm having same/similar problem. Connecting and disconnecting my hardwired Xbox360 controller causes XBMC to crash. For those who mentioned Xpadder. I am using Xpadder and it still has the same results. I use Xpadder for controller configurations but it does not fix the problem with connecting/disconnecting controllers and XBMC crashing. I'm currently running XBMC Eden Official Release and Windows 7. I mainly posted this now for those whom were mentioning Xpadder as a way to solve the problem. I will read the whole thread when I get a chance. This way I can figure out whats going on. We really need a fix for this.

Thanks in advance!
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Here is a summary.
Two patched versions available:

XBMC No Reinit
http://ryushare.com/s97u0ug12eq8/XBMC_NoReinit.zip
This version removes the call to CJoystick::Reinitialize() which prevents the crash when the controller disconnects.
Newly connected controller won't be detected.
This version should not crash. If it does, it does not come from the patch.

XBMC SDL_Quit
http://ryushare.com/8lub9f7fodaq/XBMC_SDL_Quit.zip
This version tries to handle the crash in the SDL layer more smoothly.
I have been using this version for a few evenings now without a crash and working disconnection/reconnection.
You should get less crashes from this version. Instead of crash I expect a non working controller after disconnection.

These .exe are to be used with the nightly builds. If your XBMC environment is too old, videos won't play and maybe you'll get unexpected crashes. This time each .exe comes with a .diff file indicating what was modified in the code.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashes when XBOX-controller disconnects0