Win PAL, NTSC, Blu-Ray - refresh rate issue?
Sad 
SYSTEM: 3.4Ghz AMD dual-core, ASUS board, 4Gb RAM

Hi, all. I've been setting up my new HTPC build for the past couple of weeks now. The system (XP) is hooked up via HDMI to a 1080i 32'' LCD and was intended to replace my standalone Blu-Ray player, which has never suffered from this particular issue (but lacks functionality). So far, I've been hugely impressed with XBMC, and if I could only work out these last few kinks, I would be very satisfied indeed. Smile

Basically, whilst playing some of my DVDs/Blu-Rays, I've noticed a repeating, almost imperceptible stutter. I believe it's a refresh rate issue, but am not 100% sure. Changing the settings in XBMC has little to no effect on this. In fact, the only mandatory settings are the permanant enabling of V-Sync, Deinterlacing set to 'Auto' and the accompanying method set to 'De-interlace'.

It appears as though my PAL DVDs *only* run perfectly (i.e. no stutter whatsoever) at 1920 x 1080 60hz with the above settings enabled. Yet, at the same res, an NTSC DVD becomes jerky and has to catch up with itself about twice a second or so. Similarly, a Region B Blu-Ray stutters about once a second. Toggling the 'Adjust display refresh rate...' option does not appear to affect this in any way.

I've tried all manner of screen resolutions in the hopes of finding a happy medium that might suit all types of content, but alas without any joy. The manual for my TV says its display resolution is 1366 x 768 60Hz for 1080i (with a horizontal frequency of 33.75KHz), however, when this is selected through ATi Catalyst (HD3000 onboard), I get stutter all round.

So, I'm thinking the problem lies either in Catalyst, XBMC or both. Being multi-region, my standalone Blu-Ray player seems to be able to automatically compensate for this so I know it's not the TV. In any event, I'd much rather use XBMC if at all possible. Smile

Any/all help greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PAL, NTSC, Blu-Ray - refresh rate issue?0