Windows/Linux Intermittent Freeze
Question 
First, a description of my setup.
  • Linux Ubuntu Server (headless) with an external 2 TB drive. This drive houses all of my media. I do have music, but mostly use XBMC for videos. The data is shared using Samba.
  • MySQL Server houses the library data on the same Linux Server.
  • XBMC Eden (Windows) installed on three Acer Aspire Revos connected via wired Ethernet. (problem existed prior to Eden, so not introduced with Eden)

Seems that every now and then, the video will freeze. It will just stop in its place for about 10-12, maybe 15 seconds, then the seek bar will flash for a very short moment and the video will start up again.

This has been happening for as long as I've had the setup, but is starting to get a bit more annoying.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
best if you turn on debug logging (see this post for detail on how to do this) See if you can see anything in the debug log that might give you an idea why it is freezing and if not post it to pastebin.com and drop a link here and someone may be able to help.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
I'm having a similar problem with a somewhat similar setup. I'm fairly sure that the problem is caused by the external drive going into standby mode. XBMC has no problems playing files from my internal drives but freezes while playing files from my external drive. I've read a lot of threads on this forum but, the only solution I've found is this:

http://www.ctrlv.ca/2010/04/181/

Which didn't work for me.

The strange thing is that neither Smplayer nor VLC have any trouble playing files from the external drive. Also, my Popbox, which connects to the external thru a network share, has no problem playing these files.
What does XBMC do differently?
Why does it allow the drive to go into standby while accessing files?
Does XBMC cache part of videos while playing them? If so, can I change it's cache size to a smaller value so that it accesses the drive more often?

My setup
Ubuntu 10.04LTS
XBMC v11.0 Eden
WD Elements 2tb external drive

Thanks.
Problem Solved.
I moved my library to an internal drive and haven't had a problem since.
But, I'm still a bit curious to know what XBMC does differently than my other players.
no xbmc.log, now we will never know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows/Linux Intermittent Freeze0