OS X 2010 Mac Mini OSX 10.6.3 - Eden 11 - no sound over HDMI
I am a newbie on Mac. Just got the Mac Mini (2010 model with geFORCE 320M + 2.66 Ghz + 8 gb memory) from ebay and installed XBMC eden 11. Has OSX 10.6.3

Connection: Mac Mini -> Denon Receiver -> TV

Mac is connected to Denon over HDMI

Clear picture but no sound. The sound seems to come out of the Mac Mini speakers but not thru my Denon Receiver to 5.1 - What am I doing wrong?

Any help for this Mac Mini newbie would be appreciated
In XBMC, Settings -> System -> Audio Output -> HDMI?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Quote:In XBMC, Settings -> System -> Audio Output -> HDMI?
Yes this is set to HDMI

The UTILITIES -> Midi Setup does not show my DENON as source - Mac experts ...am I right? This is my guess

Under system preferences -> sound output does not show my Denon Amp! Is this a handshake problem!

Do these help at all?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4214
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2586101

Might also try updating the OS to 10.6.8
Ned, I had already seen those posts! It appears like an handshake problem because the DENON AVR 2807 is not even listed as one of the options in sound or midi!

I heard from various posts that 10.6.3 works fine....My fear is if I update to 10.6.8 will XBMC work properly? Right now the picture is fantastic and fast over a wired network. Can anybody vouch that XBMC (esp HDMI 5.1 sound) works for OSX 10.6.8?
yes
Success!

My setup

MAC MINI 2010 model 2.66 ghz + 8 gb memory + Geforce 320M + MAC OS 10.6.3
Connected via HDMI to my DENON AVR 2807 and
HDMI connection from DENON AVR 2807 to PANASONIC TV

I am documenting below for anybody who happen to get into the same problem!

(1) DENON AVR not shown in the SOUND list
(2) The wired ETHERNET did not show up in the NETWORK menu (I had connected wireless using airport express)

I used an adapter to connect the HEADPHONE jack to my TSOLINK in my AVR and voila the DIGITAL output was shown in the mac mini list (mac mini headphone jack outputs both in analog and digital)!

I then discovered that the ethernet (wired) connection did not show up!

Did research and found that this will be a problem if one installs a OSX version older than the version that came with Mac Mini - The Mac Mini was bought from ebay and had 10.6.4 install disks but came with OSX 10.6.3 installed - hence updated the software to 10.6.8 (after confirming that XBMC will work with 10.6.8 - Thx Davilla).

Once I installed the software updates to 10.6.8 everything worked! The DENON AVR showed in the audio list and midi showed the HDMI and I get picture + 5.1 dolby digital thru HDMI!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2010 Mac Mini OSX 10.6.3 - Eden 11 - no sound over HDMI0