Acer Revo RL70-UR10P vs. Zotac ZBOX-AD04-U
Eventually, I'd like to have 2 separate HTPC systems.
One completely built from scratch, the other a pre-built system.

So, while I'd love to build my own HTPC from scratch now,...I need to buy the pre-built one first.
Mainly due to cost, as well as the easy sell I can make with my wife.

So my question is:

If you have to choose between these two, which would you choose:
Zotac ZBOX-AD04-U

or the:
Acer Revo RL70-UR10P

They're essentially the same price.

or is there another pre-built system that is about the same price, and is better than these twoHuh

I intend to use this system to access pictures, camera captured .mov files, ripped DVDs .iso files, play .mp3 files,...
I'll also plug in a USB DVD player to play any DVDs that haven't been ripped.
Since I'll probably use Windows7 (this points to the Acer as a better deal), I'd probably use it for light Windows apps or Internet browsing, and some games (nothing too graphic intensive).

I also intend on building an unRaid server shortly after this purchase to host the media mentioned above.

I'll be plugging this into a 42" (maybe 50") TV via HDMI
(need to but the TV too)

All things being equal I'd go with Acer....That Newegg price is very nice w/ Win7 included.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
No one else has an opinion? Big Grin
The specs on those two are essentially the same. I'm just concerned with fan noise. I bought a MSI WindBox, which is very similar to those two, and it was unusable because the fan was so noisy. It was really a pity, because it the e-450 performed like a champ in Windows 7, and ran XBMC slick as a dream.

Please report back about the fan sound level if you decide to buy one. I'm really interested in those two. I hope they're good.
I purchased the Revo RL70-UR10P a few weeks ago and just finally got everything set up the way I like- I'd recommend it highly; it's about $300 on best buy's website or $330 on amazon. It's not the speediest box in the world as a computer, and shut down/startup times are not wonderful despite only having xbmc and utorrent launch with it, but I like having windows backend just because I'm more familiar with getting that set up. I have emulators on there as well as a wireless receiver for my xbox 360 controllers so I can add up to 4 controllers easily to play N64 or others. Media playback is flawless at 1080p with xbmc and I haven't tried to play anything more strenuous than N64, but it plays that at 720p just fine. I might change it down to 480p just because some points during some games it seems a little choppy, but I'm kind of splitting hairs there, it's not unplayable by any means even at 720p. As for fan noise, I've only noticed it when starting up or shutting down, for some reason it just chugs along at those points. When I'm up and running I can't hear a peep, even when I mute my surround sound. If I hear anything, it's the external hard drive I have plugged into it.
Lazyboy0172,

So, the Amazon page for the Revo has a review that complains about Netflix HD playback being choppy. Have you had that problem? I am thinking about this device but that has me worried.

THanks!
Can the Radeon HD 6320, which is what seems to be inside, do hd audio?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Since Netflix HD uses MS Silverlight which isn't HW accelerated, neither an Atom or Zacate based system is capable, unfortunately. I also tried the new D2700 and it cannot do it either. Minimum seems to be G530 or A4. That's what I've read (Zacate/Atom) and experienced myself (Atom). It would not be a whole lot more expensive to build a G530/H61 system. If you need something pre-built consider a barebones. Add 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD for Windows and you'd be good to go. The biggest expense will probably be Windows which in hindsight I would have said if you're building more than one system, get the Window 7 HP Family Pack - $129.99-$149.99 for 3 licenses.
So, I was talking with 2 different co-workers who have the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P.

Not only do they rave about it, but they run XBMC flawlessly. They also like the fact that it comes with a 500GB HD, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.
They chose pre-built because they didn't have time to build a system from scratch.
They wanted something they could unbox and use right away.

I know that I want to build another system, but I also wanted a prebuilt system that I can unplug and carry with me to friend's houses.
How cool would that be....
I'll be looking at picking this up soon.
I'm probably going to buy this for a doctor's office waiting room to play Disney movies with XBMC. I'll let you know how it does.

Someone has a brand new one on Craigslist, and I'm trying to talk them down to $250 right now.

I'll have it up and running a week from now.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-05-23, 03:40)maddog808 Wrote: I'm probably going to buy this for a doctor's office waiting room to play Disney movies with XBMC. I'll let you know how it does.

Someone has a brand new one on Craigslist, and I'm trying to talk them down to $250 right now.

I'll have it up and running a week from now.

Cool! Let us know how it goes since another poster (Beer40oz) was looking into buying the Revo.
I wish my doctors would consider buying one for their waiting rooms.

I think I said this before but the thought of being able to pick this thing up, carry it over to a friend's house and show off is pretty cool.
Gort I did not see this thread.....

Just bought a RL70 made a thread about it!
(2012-05-25, 14:29)Beer40oz Wrote: Gort I did not see this thread.....

Just bought a RL70 made a thread about it!

Cool! Now we get two reviews.
I had been considering this purchase for a while.
Just need to get my finances in order,.....again. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo RL70-UR10P vs. Zotac ZBOX-AD04-U0