My New HTPC Build
(2012-04-21, 17:37)Horrorjunkie616 Wrote: On my motherboard the default was set to auto. Changed it to 512(the highest available choice) and it did not fix the problem. I have Eden installed and I think that may be the problem. All the files work flawlessly on the same machine using MPC-HC, they only stutter and have issues when played back using XBMC "eden." I tried to follow some guides here on setting xbmc up with an external player but it didn't seem to work. Gonna try DSPlayer next. If that doesn't work then reverting to an older version of XBMC

have you setup xbmc to use hardware acceleration ?

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
@Horrorjunkie616-

Don't panic yet.....take it one step at a time, and it's part of DIY.....one way or another, you'll get it working.....

Try these-

1. Update the latest AMD driver from here- A8-3850.....
2. To get the best video/audio quality, you can connect your system this way- HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via 2 HDMI cables. If there is an option in AVR, set it to pass-through video
3. Download the latest stable Eden 11.0.....if you want to enjoy bitstreaming HD audio, you can download XBMC-RC2 HDAudio.zip
4. Select AMD HD HDMI audio output in Windows 7 control panel and XBMC settings/system/audio output (select WASAPI: AMD HDMI HD......)
5. Select DXVA as render method and enable DXVA2 in XBMC settings/video/playback, but disable everything else in it
6. Disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than a true fullscreen" in XBMC settings/system/video output

It should be a good start.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not using an AVR right now as it's the next thing to be added to my set-up, so for right now it's just the audio from my tv speakers. I actually installed DSPlayer found at this link http://dsplayer.passion-xbmc.org/, Now everything seems to be playing great.
(2012-04-21, 18:52)Horrorjunkie616 Wrote: Thanks for the help guys. I'm not using an AVR right now as it's the next thing to be added to my set-up, so for right now it's just the audio from my tv speakers. I actually installed DSPlayer found at this link http://dsplayer.passion-xbmc.org/, Now everything seems to be playing great.
Without AVR, you still can use the same configuration as the above suggestion.......but since you got it to work with DSPlayer, it's time to enjoy the movie then......

this is weird, EDEN should be playing stuff without issues...
Ok I have decided that i want to also get into some PC Gaming after seeing some games running with graphics better then consoles. So after looking around I think I have decided to go with this Radeon HD 7970 card.: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814150596

It seems like it will fit in my case but my question Is will my power supply be enough? I know it says min 500w, but is that really enough? Also will overheating be an issue? The case i am using does have 3 120mm fans, it also has 2 unused 80mm spots if i need to install more. Is this a smart idea? or am I just out of reach with this case? Any help would be appreciated.

Also after trying out some newer games I was left a bit disappointed , the integrated graphics are great for some older stuff but just isn't enough for newer games.
What sort of games are you looking to play? I haven't played many on my system but what I did play, it did them well. If I was going for more of a gaming rig I would consider getting a Radeon HD 6670 to setup Crossfire with the APU's integrated GPU, I've read performance of that setup is pretty good although I don't have any first hand experience.

I just cringe a bit when I see the video card costs as much as your entire system! But, if you have the money, it may be best just to get the best you can and not worry about it not being enough.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-05-08, 00:42)Horrorjunkie616 Wrote: Ok I have decided that i want to also get into some PC Gaming after seeing some games running with graphics better then consoles. So after looking around I think I have decided to go with this Radeon HD 7970 card.: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814150596

It seems like it will fit in my case but my question Is will my power supply be enough? I know it says min 500w, but is that really enough? Also will overheating be an issue? The case i am using does have 3 120mm fans, it also has 2 unused 80mm spots if i need to install more. Is this a smart idea? or am I just out of reach with this case? Any help would be appreciated.

Also after trying out some newer games I was left a bit disappointed , the integrated graphics are great for some older stuff but just isn't enough for newer games.
iGPU is never meant for heavy game. If you want to play game, you need a discrete GPU. The HD7970 you selected should be a good one. With your 500W PSU, it should be enough. The HD7970+A8-3850 is 350W TDP........

I was also a little shocked when I realized the card was only a little bit cheaper then my whole system build. I love the video playback and XBMC performance of my set up, but the idea of having a buddy over watching something, and then launching something like Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2 with the settings cranked up and just blowing their mind is a bit too enticing lol.

Any idea if the stock cooling will be sufficient? 3 120mm fans sound fine....but i did recently add a 4tb drive that i ripped from an external drive to use as internal storage so that may have increased the temps a little. Know of any decent way of monitoring temperatures? Thanks for all the help guys!!!
(2012-05-10, 22:47)Horrorjunkie616 Wrote: Any idea if the stock cooling will be sufficient? 3 120mm fans sound fine....but i did recently add a 4tb drive that i ripped from an external drive to use as
I think that 3 fans should be fine and it should keep everything cool.....if the temp is too high, you can always add more......if you want a quieter CPU fan, you can opt for this "Scythe SCBSK-2100 120mm Sleeve BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B" CPU cooler!

Yes, your friend will have a blast with your HTPC........Big Grin

Maybe a little late but you might want to switch the dust filters of the fans to a position in front of the fans and not (as they are delivered) after the fans.It's even possible to put them outside of the case so cleaning would be easier.
On the gpu topic: you could also buy this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...0HD%207750 and be my personal guinea pig Tongue
That is a good tip about the dust filters. I remember thinking it was odd to place them on the inside of a case like that. I have to wait till my next check to order the graphics card but when i install that ill probably pop open the case again and double check my wiring to make sure air flow isn't blocked in any way and to switch the filters to the outside of the case.

Then I'll have to decide on a mouse and keyboard setup or a gamepad.
So i decided to save money and install a 6770 graphics card instead of the uber expensive one. I am having an issue when my htpc boots into xbmc(booting as a shell) The fans on my case and the gpu are remaining in a high speed state. If i start a new task to open normal windows the fans all go back to their lower settings. Any idea of whats going on? this is way too loud to ignore.

Everything went fairly easy. I seem to have a little problem with grabbing extra thumbs and fan art in xmbc in that it doesn't seem to connect to anything or try and fetch them at all....cant seem to figure it out.

[/quote]

I use Ember to get all my movie info here is the link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=ember
whats nice about doing it this way is that it will put all the info in your movie or tv show folder that way if you have to uninstall xbmc to or anything all your thumbs and info are stored with your movies
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-06-20, 09:19)Horrorjunkie616 Wrote: So i decided to save money and install a 6770 graphics card instead of the uber expensive one. I am having an issue when my htpc boots into xbmc(booting as a shell) The fans on my case and the gpu are remaining in a high speed state. If i start a new task to open normal windows the fans all go back to their lower settings. Any idea of whats going on? this is way too loud to ignore.

What are your CPU/GPU temps like?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My New HTPC Build0