HTPC Guidance Requested
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read and (if you can) reply.

I'm planning to build a HTPC, but not certain what is the best and most economical route to go for to accomplish everything I would like to accomplish. I also have some existing hardware, and I'm not sure whether I can make use of it. I'm looking for guidance on what hardware setup to go for and what software package to use.

Here's what I definitely know I want to be able to do:
- Stream Hulu content in HD
- Stream HBOGo content in HD
- Watch DVDs
- Watch other streaming video (downloaded from amazon, itunes, etc)
- Stream content from a Ipad or Iphone to TV
- Control system with Ipad or Iphone
- Ability to rip DVDs
- Have a centralized home media server that we can use to share media files to other devices in the house (PCs, laptops, and Iphone/Ipad)

Here are nice-to-have's:
- Ability to play some games (I don't need the latest shooter in ultra settings, I have a gaming rig for that. But would like the ability to play lightweight console-style games)
- Media server that allows me to access my media remotely
- WiFi (not currently necessary, but might be a nice option down the road)
- Blu-Ray

Not necessary:
- An enormous amount of storage space: I'm not a media packrat. I'd like to be able to store all my music (several hundred CDs), and some movies, but it's not like I have thousands of movies.
- 3d... I just don't care about this, really.

Existing Equipment:
Sony Bravia HD TV (32" LCD)
Sony DAV HDX 285 Home Theater System (5.1 audio, 5 disc DVD changer)
Ipad 2
Iphone 4s

I also have some PC hardware that's gathering dust. If I can use it, great, but it's not absolutely necessary.
- nForce 680i SLI MoBo
- 2 Gigs RAM
- Intel Core2 Duo 6400 processor
- GeForce 8800 GTS video card

I would appreciate any recommendations on hardware to use to accomplish my goals... whether I should go for a pre-built barebones, build a custom system from the ground up, or whether to try to make use of something like Roku or AppleTV and stream media from another computer in the house.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Guidance Requested0