How to switch from XBMC to Ubuntu in XBMCbuntu
Changed in the recent xbmcbuntu to a wrench (spanner) looking icon in the top right.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-10, 22:43)ananoxoto Wrote: Hi guys!

I've just installed XBMCbuntu Gotham from scratch. All seemed to work fine, but when I want to exit to the desktop, I can't.

I get to the login window, but I can only change the login and enter the password. There is no combo box to select xbmc or xbmcbuntu, or whatever, so when I enter my login/password I always return to XBMC.

Can anybody help me? Thanks a lot.

myle's response is perfect. I'm in the same situation as you, ananoxoto, fresh install from a fresh (< 1 week old) download of the XBMCbuntu image from xbmc.org, and I've been looking for this pretty much since then. As myle said, they moved the option, and it'd not as obvious now.

On the screen that you select the user (and probably just the one user if you're like me), look in the far upper right corner of the screen. There should be several little icons. The leftmost icon is just a square. If you click it, you should get a little menu that has both options in it. I had to literally stand up a foot or two away for it to become clear (though admittedly, I need new glasses).

It's an odd selection box, kinda hard to see, and the radiobutton control that you use is a square that has only a slightly different color...

Failing that, ananoxoto, I suggest getting up close and personal with the screen, and checking every icon on the bars on that login screen. It really is there.

Guys, thanks a ton for all the informative posts. I had decided to nuke my existing system as I was still on version 11, and things weren't working as nice as I wanted it to. I went ahead and upgraded to XBMCbuntu from just an Ubuntu install with XBMC installed and couldn't be happier. It's really a nice and slick piece of work!

And myle, thanks to you especially for your post, your assertion that they moved it really helped things click! Same to you, nickr! :-)
The problem is I can't see that upper right icon. It is out of the screen. There is some screen adjustement problem. I managed to hardly see the options in that icon by pressing ESC, and I can now get into the desktop. The problem I have now is the icons and the fonts are tiny in my 40 inches full HD TV set. I am trying to find where to set that properly.

Thank you.
"Screen adjustment problem" means you need to turn off overscan on you TV - what brand?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sony
My Sony got trashed in the earthquake but I recall that this worked http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1113758
Fantastic, nickr, you got it!

I can see the menu, and quality is now much better.

My problem now is in the LXDE ubuntu environment everything is too tiny, but thats another problem (any help also welcome).

Thank you very much!
Quote:On the Bravia I selected MENU> Settings > Setup > Screen Settings > Display Area

It was set to NORMAL
I changed it to FULL PIXEL
Thanks nickr..this solved my issues too and able to login to the desktop..
(2014-04-17, 02:09)myle Wrote: Have to Change the login Type

XBMC -> will boot into xbmc

XBMCbuntu -> will boot into a desktop

I don't have a user XBMCbuntu or the password is different to XBMC. I only have one user, XBMC and I've tried adding a new user but still can't get to desktop.
Not user, session type. There are three aspects to logging in. User, password and session type. User remains the same.
Using a live USB, can only boot to XBMC, changing the setting to XBMCbuntu has no effect. Considering this the main reason for choosing XBMCbuntu, its critical issue. Do I blow away by current linux installation with the hope it might work under a proper installation?
this was driving me crazy. have installed xbmcbuntu previously. could not get to desktop from live cd/usb. this is the problem I was hitting I was setting the wrench first, typing xbmc as the user then hitting enter for password. kept going back to XBMC ui. I noticed once I typed xbmc as the user if I checked the wrench it was set back to XBMC vs. XBMCbuntu. so:

type in username xbmc
go to wrench set to XBMCbuntu
hit enter to login

is what worked for me. I think typing xbmc was resetting the wrench setting.
yeah it probably goes to what it thinks is the default for the user you just entered. Good tip thanks.
(2014-03-31, 17:02)incognegro76 Wrote: Okay the reason I couldn't see anything in the posts I made above and had to logout via the methods I had above was because my first XBMCBuntu installation was on my media server attached to 55 inch flat screen. My TV cut off the start menu that should have been at the bottom of the screen. It was my first time so I didn't know it was supposed to be down there.

This worked for me too. I didn't have overscan on, but once I switched my TV mode to game, this entire menu appeared at the top. The power button there allowed mt to switch from xbmc to xbmc ubuntu. Score!!!
XBMC 13.02 'Gotham'
Windows 8.1

Zotac Ionitx F-E
Sandisk 32GB SSD
500GB Samsung 2.5" SATA Drive
4GB 800 mHz 240 pin DDR2 DIMM
Compucase 8K01 Mini ITX Case With 120w
HP RC6 IR MCE Remote

NAS DNS-320 Sharecentre
Netgear WN2000RPT Range Extender
Hi, I have followed these instruction with success. However for those that come after me you have to get really close to the television to see the indistinct square radio buttons. From the couch you wont see which one is selected. Pretty much as is pointed out above.

Now having got to the desktop with overscan turned off on the TV, the desktop is oversize and I cant see the screen edge icons. Can any one help with this problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to switch from XBMC to Ubuntu in XBMCbuntu1