Slow movie library load
So, I'm not sure when it started happening but my Movies Library is taking an extremely long time to open.

I'm running MySQL and Thumbnails Path Substitution with everything based on my QNAP NAS.

It currently takes approx 50 seconds or more to open the Movies section.

I'm using Eden 11.0. Confluence skin.

So far I've tried:

Dumping all non needed add ons.
Dumping guisettings.xml and starting fresh.
Removing XBMC completely and starting fresh.
Commenting out thumbnail path substitution.

Nothing has worked so far. Still takes ages to load Movies.

I currently have approx 750 movies and 60 TV Shows (4000 episodes).

Here's a link to a log file from the ATV2. I started XBMC, accessed 'Movies' . Returned to home screen then exited XBMC.

Pastebin Log

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated, as it stands it's making the ATV2 almost unusable.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
did you read mysql tips in the wiki?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-04-22, 14:44)Memphiz Wrote: did you read mysql tips in the wiki?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, yes I've read the wiki. Basically server side it's skip-name-resolve right?

I've done this and upped the cache and buffer size etc: MySQL My.Cnf

I've also applied GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'; to MySQL.

Here's a link to my Video Database file: SQL Video DB Zip file if that's any help.

I'm trying to avoid dumping my database and rescanning but I will try that if anyone thinks it might help.

*edit*

And here's a paste bin of my advanced settings from the ATV2: Advancedsettings.xml

*Bump*

It'll almost certainly be the thumbnails that's causing the slowdown. Disable the pathsubstitution as a test.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-04-24, 06:01)jmarshall Wrote: It'll almost certainly be the thumbnails that's causing the slowdown. Disable the pathsubstitution as a test.

I already did that, but I'll give it another go to see if something odd was going on.

Copied all the thumbs to local on the ATV2, then removed the path substitution. It did improve the speed, but very very slightly. I'm still thinking it's not the problem.

Any other ideas?

Just to ask the question: you have XBMC installed for a bit of time with no issues and then just recently the speed issue started?

Is it possible that something inside your network is the issue? Has any of that changed?
(2012-04-24, 19:57)drunet Wrote: Just to ask the question: you have XBMC installed for a bit of time with no issues and then just recently the speed issue started?

Is it possible that something inside your network is the issue? Has any of that changed?

I wish, it'd be easy then. No, my network is fine. Nothing has changed there. All video streaming etc. is working perfectly. I'm really stuck on this.

Guess I'll try dumping the databases and starting from scratch...

Hi - were you ever able to resolve this issue?

I'm seeing what looks to be the same symptoms on my ATV2. Looking through your debug log it looks almost the same as mine:

1. Query against movieview
2. Large gap of time
3. Saving fileitems [videodb://1/2/]

Does anyone know what's going on in that gap?
Between those it's:

1. Doing a query to retrieve streamdetail information for each item in the list.
2. Hitting the filesystem for art for each item in the list.

If either are over mysql then it'll most likely be slow. You should be able to trace what's happening on your network to confirm this.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(2012-05-24, 00:27)jmarshall Wrote: Between those it's:

1. Doing a query to retrieve streamdetail information for each item in the list.

If either are over mysql then it'll most likely be slow. You should be able to trace what's happening on your network to confirm this.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Changing to local thumbnail storage helped a little bit with my setup, but obviously this isn't as convenient when using shared database, as you need to set up another process to copy the thumbnails around to devices.

So a part of the delay is retrieving stream details? Can this be improved by scraping details for all media and storing it in the individual nfo files? (Most of my media already is), or will XBMC still retrieve stream details from the media files on access?

It's retrieving it out of the database, not out of your files, so no, having it in the nfo file won't make any difference here.

(2012-05-24, 02:09)jmarshall Wrote: It's retrieving it out of the database, not out of your files, so no, having it in the nfo file won't make any difference here.

Copy that. Thanks for the info.

(2012-05-24, 00:27)jmarshall Wrote: Between those it's:

Cheers,
Jonathan

Great, thanks for the info. The library is stored on MySQL, so I'll stick some tracing on and see what it's doing.

Also, the thumbnails are being read over the network (I've got path substitution set up) and a quick test of this showed that it did help a bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow movie library load0