XBMC on ATV2 crashes on 1st run but works fine on 2nd run
Hi,

XBMC on ATV2 Dharma 10.1 crashes on 1st run but works fine on 2nd run.

I'm not sure if RSS or Weather is causing this. Please note I do not wish to upgrade to Eden because I will get France 24 Audio-Only and some other channels will lose Video too (Bloomberg, Dubai, etc.)

Here's my Log:
http://pastebin.com/G5tFedzp

Please help...
XBMC Eden 12.3 (Dec 24, 2014) on ATV2 JB 5.3 and Nexus 7. One-for-All IR/RF/x10 Remote URC-9911.
Upgrade to Eden 11.0 official as there was never an "official" Dharma version for atv2
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Actually the exact version is: Pre-11.0 (23 Jun 2011).

I won't upgrade. I cannot give up France 24 (period)
XBMC Eden 12.3 (Dec 24, 2014) on ATV2 JB 5.3 and Nexus 7. One-for-All IR/RF/x10 Remote URC-9911.
There has been many bug fixes since nightly builds then and seems to be the first recommendation. Is France 24 not compatible with Eden?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
We can't support you here. Its very likly that the crash is fixed in the final eden release. If it breaks something you need, then you are just out of luck for now.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I remember a similar behaviour - upgrading did solve it.

ATV2 has always run Eden, so I don't see why you think upgrading will break that plugin.
Guys, everything was working like a charm for over a year. Suddenly, it crashes on 1st run, 2nd run is stable as normal.

All I'm asking is to take a look at the log file above and tell me what is causing this.

If I upgrade then I will get France 24 as Audio-Only. If you guys fix the video issue with France 24 and Bloomberg then I'll happily upgrade.

I wonder what Davila thinks about this.

Thanks!
yep..that was the normal behavior for 10.0-9 and other eden-pres since the beginning of the year.. give or take few weeks.
First run of the day always ends up in a crash to the main menu.. I think it had something to do with parsing the repo xmls. Also when an addon autoupdates it caused a crash 99% of the time.
You can compare the two logs from first and second run and you'll see what's up.
I upped all my boxes to 11 because of this.

Have in mind that the main eden-pre repo is not maintained anymore..new addons are pushed only to http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/eden/
ATV2 4.3 8F455 Seas0npassed / XBMC 11
Samsung HT-P70 5.1 / Samsung WS-32Z419P
FWIW, the "doesn't work on 1st attempt but on 2nd" symptom is visible for me as well, with Eden release on iOS 5.0.
It does not happen with the same Eden version on another ATV2 running iOS 4.4.3 connecting to the same media backend .

For me it doesn't crash though, but on the 1st launch after running Netflix, all media lags and stutters so much it's impossible to watch.
Exiting all the way back out to Front row and re-launching XBMC will fix the problem. At work now so I can't provide a log but I will.
Thats an issue with netflix which doesn't free ressources well. when stopping xbmc its basically the same like killing the AppleTV.app which frees the ressources. We already described that issue somewhere else. Its unrelated to the issue of the OP and unrelated to XBMC.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-04-24, 00:04)Memphiz Wrote: Thats an issue with netflix which doesn't free ressources well. when stopping xbmc its basically the same like killing the AppleTV.app which frees the ressources. We already described that issue somewhere else. Its unrelated to the issue of the OP and unrelated to XBMC.

Does this also cover the fact that when xbmc is run 1st, it often runs fine until a networked drive is accessed? That's when xbmc takes a dive for me. I have the most recent build running 4.4.4 and immediately after an update, I open xbmc, navigate to a network drive that works fine and then it crashes. If I load it again and do the same things, its fine.
that one is already fixed in mainline a as long as it doesn't crash because off the hdd in the nas is spinned down.
(2012-04-30, 10:59)andsoitgoes Wrote:
(2012-04-24, 00:04)Memphiz Wrote: Thats an issue with netflix which doesn't free ressources well. when stopping xbmc its basically the same like killing the AppleTV.app which frees the ressources. We already described that issue somewhere else. Its unrelated to the issue of the OP and unrelated to XBMC.

Does this also cover the fact that when xbmc is run 1st, it often runs fine until a networked drive is accessed? That's when xbmc takes a dive for me. I have the most recent build running 4.4.4 and immediately after an update, I open xbmc, navigate to a network drive that works fine and then it crashes. If I load it again and do the same things, its fine.

Out of curiosity, what type of share do you use (NFS vs SMB, or other), and how many shares do you have running on your NAS that is accessed by XBMC?

(2012-04-30, 12:34)Memphiz Wrote: that one is already fixed in mainline a as long as it doesn't crash because off the hdd in the nas is spinned down.

(2012-04-30, 15:37)darthdiablo Wrote:
(2012-04-30, 10:59)andsoitgoes Wrote:

Out of curiosity, what type of share do you use (NFS vs SMB, or other), and how many shares do you have running on your NAS that is accessed by XBMC?

SMB, I have about 5 shares, all accessed from my PC which is always accessible with no spin down of drives.

This was a problem with Firecore's media player until their most recent update, now that has stopped so I'm wondering if it's just a left-over problem with XBMC as Memphiz mentioned.

Now forgive my ignorance, but fixed in the mainline - what exactly does that mean for me? Is there a way to update to a fixed version or is that on the next Eden release?
its it the nightly once we get them fixed for ios. Beside that there was an incompatibility between xbmc and firecore mediaplayer which also is stated in our wiki. Glad to here that their latest update really fixed it (i've read in there announcement that they fixed it though)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV2 crashes on 1st run but works fine on 2nd run0