Looking for a Mini-ITX Case Recommendation...
Question 
Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of my first HTPC build so please be gentle with me...

After much reading (mainly here!) I'm now the proud owner of an ASRock A75M-ITX motherboard, an A6 3500 APU, a PatriotTorqx 2 32G SSD drive and 4G of DDR3 RAM. I have an Interset CIR module on the way (and a new header waiting for it) and am considering a TBS 6981 DVB-S2 card of Freesat here in the UK. (I haven't made my mind up about a DVD/Blu Ray drive yet but it's probably going to be low profile). I'm planning to pop this little lot (running XBMCbuntu) under the "telly" to play with my two ReadyNAS 1100's (in the loft).

Unfortunately SWMBO insists I put it in a case!

I've been looking for a couple of days now and can't find anything really suitable...

Then I thought "I'll ask the people who'll know" - hence this post!

So, Im looking for a low(ish) profile Mini-ITX case (preferably black but if not I can buy some paint!), that'll take the kit listed above, with enough space to let me mod for the internal remote receiver.

I’m not particularly bothered by the whole ATX/PICO power supply thing, I'll go with whatever fits, though I would guess I'm looking for something fairly quiet around 150W, but I'm having a great deal of trouble finding something that'll play nicely with everything that isn't what I'm told (SWMBO again!) looks like an "ugly cube".

Any help/advice gratefully received...

Couch
How about these "Antec ISK 300-65 Black Steel Mini-ITX, 90W brick power supply and Scythe Kozuti SCKZT-1000 CPU Cooler"? If you are not planning to use blu-ray drive all the time, you can opt for a USB driver instead- Bluray Player External.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
hey bluray your links are not showing a case only a power supply & cooler?
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

if your TBS 6981 DVB-S2 card doesnt have a low profile bracket,
you'll have a hard time fitting it in the ISK300-65 case.

you'll have to use a case with full expension slot, not half one.

check out this case
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002VFG5A6/re...B002VFG5A6

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064...B002VFG5A6
This case would fit your needs and it has a window for the IR receiver (not sure if you'd need to slightly mod the interior of the window but it looks like there is space next to where the LCD is mounted behind the tinted part). You'll need a low profile DVB card (sounds like from the specs of the card you mention it is low profile or low profile ready: http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-d...-card.html).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Tendraw-...0894211991

The logo comes right off with some "Goof Off" (not sure what the equivalent is in the UK -- whatever removes stickers, glue, etc.)

The USA version is either the Iwill HT100 or in the USA/UK and elsewhere the Origenae m10 (much much more expensive).
I love Gigabyte MIB T5140
Thanks for all the advice guys... it's certainly given me alot more to think about, I don't know how you find some of these manufacturers...

It looks like it's going to be the Thermaltake VL52021N2 purely on price (it's a little tall for my liking) but I'll shop around a bit more first.

I've double-checked on the TBS 6981 DVB-S2, it IS a half height card and comes with both full and half height brackets which helps keep my options open!

I'll be back with some pics when I'm done...

Thanks again!

Couch
perfect
Just beware that you might need a lower profile cooler with that case. Stock heatsinks are jammed right against that PSU that overhangs the motherboard. Also know there is a space on the side (completely unadvertised) to snap in a 120mm fan to keep things cool & quiet. I've worked with a different brand of that same case and found it worked best with either a low profile cooler or with a different PSU like a picoPSU.

YMMV.
Quote:Just beware that you might need a lower profile cooler with that case. Stock heatsinks are jammed right against that PSU that overhangs the motherboard. Also know there is a space on the side (completely unadvertised) to snap in a 120mm fan to keep things cool & quiet. I've worked with a different brand of that same case and found it worked best with either a low profile cooler or with a different PSU like a picoPSU.
Thanks for the tip...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a Mini-ITX Case Recommendation...0