Up-sample to 48 kHz?
I just learned that Apple TV 2 and 3 up-samples/converts all audio to 48 kHz. Does XBMC for ATV 2 and 3 up- sample/convert as well? If so, is there a way to disable that so the audio isn't touched?
So, from the silence, that's a yes?
I would assume that silence == "don't know"
Can someone confirm this by playing a 44.1 kHz sound file or a video file with a 44.1 kHz audio track and see if their receiver picks it up as 48 kHz?
this is useless test - we are standing short before merging the new audio engine for all platforms. Everything according to this will change then.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
In a meticulous project like XBMC where there are a good handful of users who identify themselves as audiophiles, how can this information be unknown?! The fact that this new audio engine will be implemented is even more of a reason to know the details like the one I seek to compare and contrast the old and the new output (and possible troubleshooting).

I only posted this question because I want to use XBMC on Apple TV to play my FLAC files as an uncompressed and untouched audio source. If XBMC on Apple TV (2nd gen.) is infected by iOS' built-in up-sampling/up-converting feature then I'd like to at least be aware of that or find another option.
hehe, audiophiles won't be using AppleTVs to high quality audio in the 1st place... Maybe that's why this information is unknown.

We are just grateful that it outputs any kind of audio much less care about if it's 44.1 kHz or up converted to 48 kHz.
I'd gladly test, but I don't have a receiver to check the freq output. Maybe I'll dig around and see if I can find my optical adapter to hook the ATV2 up to my laptop's optical input and see if I can get a reading that way.
(2012-04-28, 14:36)davilla Wrote: hehe, audiophiles won't be using AppleTVs to high quality audio in the 1st place... Maybe that's why this information is unknown.

We are just grateful that it outputs any kind of audio much less care about if it's 44.1 kHz or up converted to 48 kHz.

I disagree my good man; I don't care where she comes from - if the beeyotch is clean, I'm hitting that! Tongue

(2012-04-28, 17:56)Ned Scott Wrote: I'd gladly test, but I don't have a receiver to check the freq output. Maybe I'll dig around and see if I can find my optical adapter to hook the ATV2 up to my laptop's optical input and see if I can get a reading that way.

Thanks! I've been running XBMP, YAMP, XBMC, WMC, Boxee on relatively big, ugly and noisy XBOX's and HTPCs for a decade now and would love to finally switch to a smaller, quieter footprint like Apple TV. I really do appreciate you testing it out!
The ATV 2 & 3 does resample everything to 48kHz/16 bit so ripped CD's are up sampled and hi def-music is down sampled. Sounds OK for casual listening but when compared to un modified music through the same setup you can notice the difference easily. The difference is not always worse, CD rips sound close, Hi Def not so much..
Rats! Thanks though. In my attempts to jailbrake this Apple TV (2nd Gen) I just picked up I learned XBMC runs as an app on Apple TV and not as an OS like I originally thought. Hence it would be forced into 48 kHz upsampling too.

I guess I won't be retiring my XBMC HTPC afterall. Am I right in assuming a well built HTPC is the only way to go to for unmodified clean audio with XBMC?
right
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks! Once I figure out how to jailbreak and install XBMC on this Apple TV I'll just put it in my living room since its connected to just a TV (and not a home theater system) and the sound quality isn't a priority.

Thanks again everyone!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Up-sample to 48 kHz?0